Author Topic: Mabel 12yr, tortie FIV & may? have suspected overactive thyroid, CP Kent  (Read 2830 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Mabel is lovely. She looks such a nice cat, I really hope she find someone that will appreciate her soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I've had the same as Mabel may have an overactive thyroid (opposite to yours) and a main symtom is weightloss which I had  but it needs checking because thinness is also just common in older kitties.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
I can see that see that Mabel is now listed on Cat Chat.  :Luv:

I have an underactive thyroid myself and it's controlled by daily tablets. Once levels are stabilised, the condition has no effect on daily life. Unfortunately, until it's stabilised, symptoms I suffered included fatigue, dizziness, hot flushes and weight control problems.

Poor wee Mabel. I hope it's better for cats.  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
A blood test would show if she has a thyroid problem I think and he should understand that you need to know this.

Hope you can get her sorted  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Awwww poor Mabel - she beautiful..

I think I have seen her on CatChat now, am I right? She reminds me of Gerti. Hope the puss finds a new home soon. :wish:

Edit: nope, just me being confused, I think i just already read about her.  :wow:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 22:58:22 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
However, its hard to know how to write this one up, as vets isnt really keen to do alot more tests on her....

Surly the vet must understand that you do need  to know exactly what is wrong to be able to re-home the little one. And also so you may if necessary offer support for any pre existing condition when homed and not just age related conditions..
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
When i have a mo......However, its hard to know how to write this one up, as vets isnt really keen to do alot more tests on her....She is stable and such, she may be older then 12yrs and the thyroid problem may not even cause a problem in later life... Its just a suspected problem, cannot at the moment tell......She may be just a very old thin puss...........

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
She sure is a sweety...  :Luv:

Are you going to put her on Cat Chat, Sharon?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
She looks lovely.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
alwww, bless her I do hope she soon gets a lovely home she deserves it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Mabel 12yr, tortie FIV & may? have suspected overactive thyroid, CP Kent
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 17:15:03 PM »
We recently took in Mabel... her owners apparently moved at Easter 2007 and was hus was being feed by the next door neighbour since then.  They became alarmed when she took to sleeping in the middle of the road and it was only a matter of time before she may of succumbed to the traffic. She was thus brought into CP care and checked out at the vets.

Mabel is a dark tortie and around 12 yrs old, unfortunately and much to our surprise she has FIV+ (to read more about FIV please see………..). Vets also suspect she has an overactive thyroid, although neither of these medical conditions prevent her from living and active and full life in her at the moment, she may require medical treatment in the future, it is very hard to tell.

Mabel is a gorgeous lady and loves a cuddle.  Very shy/nervous but seems to feel very safe in the pen albeit a little bored. 

We believe she would suit an old lady or couple as she probably will not grow old bones but still has a lot of life in her yet. 

Because of Mabel’s FIV condition, she would need to be rehomed as an indoor only cat (or with another FIV cat) she would also be fine in a enclosed garden and would probably really love somewhere to take the sun during the summer… Mabel is a senior lady and deserves a home for a few more years yet after being forgotten about for many months…

It’s a sad fact that cats like Mabel are often abandoned in favour of a younger model and without care and TLC succumb to the life of a poorly stray whose condition gets worse by the month.

She is being taken care off by Canterbury CP, Kent, any further details pls email me.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 19:22:27 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat