Author Topic: Cats out at night  (Read 9007 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Cats out at night
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2007, 20:57:07 PM »
We have foxes and badgers in the woods and fields and non seem to bother our lot although Tyson the stray had a nice chunk mising from his head all healed up now thanks to the Antirobe tablets from the vet which he demolished twice daily for 10 days in Bernard mathews american fried chicken evening crunching the capsules!

having said that the 2 strays and the hedgehogs are in teh single garage at night the door is wedged open and they appear well the cats anyway about 06.15am for breakfast in Tysons case its now the utility room but no house access as still have to neuter the boy but at least he is looking well albeit a bit grubby he is black and white and muddy!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 13:05:27 PM »
I've read that foxes don't kill cats because an adult, healthy cat is too much of a match

The foxes in our area obviously cannot read what they should not be doing. Unfortunately it is not only healthy adult cats that people let out at night, although it is happening more and more in the day too.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 12:54:45 PM »
I voted no because in general I think cats should be kept in at night.  But I don't think I can say that it's always wrong to let a cat out at night as it really does depend on the individual situation.  I agree with the quote in ela's signature about rules being for the guidance of wise men.  As a general rule I'd say no, but there may be individual cases where the owner weighs up the benefits and risks and considers it an acceptable risk.

ccmacey

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2007, 12:25:48 PM »
I like to keep all my cats in at night, I get them in by 9. I think its only fair for the cats safety and I wouldnt be able to sleep if they were not in.

So what if they meow like mad, I just ignore them and I know they are safe.  :)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2007, 11:46:54 AM »
My own view largely concurs with HippyKitty.

However, it has been known for a fox to attack and take away kittens and attack old or infirm cats. Sadly, it's the law of nature. Normally they will steer clear of grown cats.

Even the possibility of this is another reason to keep your cat in at night.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
I've read that foxes don't kill cats because an adult, healthy cat is too much of a match. But they do scavenge RTA's. Sometimes people see a fox with an cat in its mouth and assume that the fox has killled it, whereas it has scavenged an already dead cat.

I don't know how true this is; but I read it in a cat book.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 10:34:35 AM »
Ive seen a fox round our area and we live in a city
one of my mums neighbours cat s was killed by a fox   :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 10:31:57 AM »
I have seen foxes many times in my life as i lived on a farm and have always lived in the country, however the only time i have seen fox cubs ever was my year i spent in edinburgh...they were plentyful there and i saw these babies quite a few times in late evening playing rough and tumble in a neighbouring gargen  ;D  I believe badgers are also common in citys these days aswell .

So is this fox and cat trouble due to fighting over food and the cats come off worse then rather than foxes actually hunting cats ?

fuzziesdad

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2007, 21:54:12 PM »
i think there are higher number of foxes or atleast more per area in built up places now than there are in the country nowadays and ive also never been convinced of how much of  a threat foxes are to cats...they really dont like anything that would "stand up to them" or put up a fight.  I lived in a farm for many years with many outdoor farm cats and non one fell prey to a fox. (but maybe i just havent ever heard of instances in our area ?)
However i dont think its safe for them to be out at night full stop.

we have had the discussion about cats and foxes many times but since the advent of foxes making for urban area's for food, fights with cats over food has become quite commonplace,we live in rural Wales and I have only ever seen two foxes and they were together and that was in 4 years ,while we lived in Brighton we were forever seeing foxes mostly with their backsides hanging out of dustbins,I'm with lynn NOT OUT full stop.
 anywhere. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:23 AM »
i think there are higher number of foxes or atleast more per area in built up places now than there are in the country nowadays and ive also never been convinced of how much of  a threat foxes are to cats...they really dont like anything that would "stand up to them" or put up a fight.  I lived in a farm for many years with many outdoor farm cats and non one fell prey to a fox. (but maybe i just havent ever heard of instances in our area ?)
However i dont think its safe for them to be out at night full stop.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2007, 09:52:56 AM »
He loves his laser light pen and a little rattle from that and he is over like a shot.

What a good idea

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2007, 09:37:01 AM »
How on earth did you get your cats to come back - mine have never been anywhere to be seen when I wanted to get them in!

He doesnt if he is on an adventure in the Woods  8)  If he is in my garden or the neighbours', he does generally come in.  He loves his laser light pen and a little rattle from that and he is over like a shot.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2007, 12:21:07 PM »
Mine are allowed out at night, but not during the day. Nevertheless I would vote 'depends'.

In my case, one of my cats has white ears and a white nose which I won't expose to sunlight. They are both old and pop out for a constitutional, then are soon home again. They have been taught to stay at the back of the house, not to go onto the road.
There are students around here, so when they have parties, the cats are kept in.

I don't think you can create a hard and fast rule for all cats on this one. It really depends upon where you live and the habits and needs of particular cats.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline nikkicattrell

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2007, 22:29:18 PM »
We let ours come and go as they please really, but personally I'd rather have them in during the day given the way most idiots drive. We're lucky here though - on a back road in little village with just fields mainly - you'd only get a couple of cars all night.  They're routine was pretty much out play during the night, sleep all day.  How on earth did you get your cats to come back - mine have never been anywhere to be seen when I wanted to get them in!

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 15:27:29 PM »
I dont let my cat out all night but he is out after dark.  I waited until I moved home to an area I felt was safe to let a cat outside and now live in a quiet-ish cul de sac which is next to woods and to be honest he seems to slip off in there, otherwise he will come when called.
What I have found upsetting though is within the last week, 2 cats in RTA on a dual carriageway as I go to work  :'(  Not sure if it has happened during the daylight hours or night though and I guess for any cats living in that area they would be best kept indoors.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2007, 22:51:19 PM »
Mine are all in at night, but do sometimes like a last 10 mins after 9pm. Sometimes I will say yes, sometimes not.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 20:30:09 PM »
Forgot to add we have foxes, badgers, Roe deer and pheasants and lord knows what else and Robin swears he saw 3 peacock about a mile from the road end walking this way - must take the good home for any animal as soft touches live here sign down! :Crazy:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2007, 20:28:23 PM »
All of ours the 22 that go out are in every night no matter how long it takes and with some of the ferals its a while but can't sleep till all are in and we live in the middle of nowhere a mile from a C road.

the other 15 are in by our choice!  Also our strays are in bed with heatpads by last dog walk at 11pm and don't appear to be raking and they can come and go as they please! :Crazy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2007, 18:54:44 PM »
No foxes round here - never seen one

There are loads round here then again we are very near the counrtryside. I love to see them

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 18:49:51 PM »
Then most likely if you have seen this, the foxes must be hungry  :'(

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 18:49:02 PM »
No foxes round here - never seen one, neither has anyone else! My 2 would certainly give a fox what for if it tried to get them HAHA
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 18:48:06 PM »
Even in the day time round here foxes have been chasing cats and during the night a number of cats have been chased and killed by foxes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 18:43:49 PM »
Foxes do not usually harm cats as cats go for foxes eyes and then the fox will die. Like anything foxes are tempted only when they are hungry.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 18:40:44 PM »
they go into the woods and keep well away from the road.

Are there no foxes in the woods?

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 18:29:48 PM »
My 2 go out at night only if they want to - I go out and call them and if they want to come in they do. I back onto woods and although I'm not on a main road the road can be busy during the day so in that respect the cats are safer at night - they go into the woods and keep well away from the road.
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 16:29:15 PM »
A straight yes or no is not right cos as peeps have said it depends on where you live, what the area that your cats go out in is like and the special needs of the cats, so mine go out all the time and I will not vote.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 16:23:18 PM »
don't know about night but more and more owners are keeping their cats in period.

I have to say that we are asked for more indoor cats nowadays than indoor/outdoor. When people adopt from Cats Protection one of the questions asked is will you keep your cats in at night and provide a litter tray. If they say no then they don;t get a cat. I know people can lie but you have to have some trust.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 16:16:34 PM »
I personally think they stand more chance of being run over in the day because there is more traffic about
I have lost 3 to RTA but all of them have been in the daytime.

However, i dont let any of mine out once it is dark anyway.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 15:58:57 PM »
We don’t let our cats out. After an incident when I lived in the US and they went through the dog door, one came back a week later the other it was a month!

I was really lucky they came back at all and worried myself ill while they were out.

Even though where I live now there are loads of cats outside during the day I just can’t bring myself to let my two out.

The other day I guess someone wasn’t home at 10pm when their cat wanted in and he decided that he’d not only walk me home but he’d walk me in the door as well. If he hadn’t been wearing a collar I could have talked my husband into letting him stay at least the night. Didn’t see him around in the morning so I’m guessing he got in somewhere ;)

fuzziesdad

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 15:51:37 PM »
I don't know about night but more and more owners are keeping their cats in period.
I know this was one of the reasons we moved to Wales but even now they are all in by dusk except harvey who goes out for a few seconds about 10pm to have a pee.
leaving your cat out at night is dangerous if only for the fact that most cats go missing in the dark hours,there are many dangerous people out there too especially in urban areas,personally if I had to I would rather spend my time emptying litter trays all day than think by letting them out at night they might be in danger. 

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 15:14:01 PM »
I'm the only person to have voted yes so far, though mine are kept in at night.
I think it depends on where you live. Some places are probably safer by night than day.

keeping mine in gives me peace of mind . we do let one of the old ones out but that won't go on forever as his eyesight isn't what it used to be. He rarely goes far and is back within 10 mins.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 15:10:40 PM »
I would say no but in my situation it is the safest time for mine.  As a rule they are in 99% of the time and most are in all the time.......this is due to 3 of mine being poisoned as you know.  I sometimes let mine out say 2 or 3 in the morning, I live on a no through lane so after a certain time, there are no cars etc going up and down.  I let them out for about an hour and then get them in again.  As a rule, I always say to people do not let their cats out at night, ideally not to let them out at all.........the road isn't the only danger out there, I found this out the hard way  :censored:

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Cats out at night
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 15:01:56 PM »
More and more owners are keeping their cats in at night as the most dangerous time for a cat is at night time. Most RTAs are at night as cat's natural hunting instincts take over making them a lot less aware of dangers of the road.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat