Author Topic: Received my 1st email about rehoming a kitten at Christmas!  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Received my 1st email about rehoming a kitten at Christmas!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »
Sometimes it's worth concidering bending the rules.

You only have to read the quote at the bottom of this post to know my feelings on this ;D.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 01:43:54 AM »
Last year a wonderful lady took 3 of my feral kittens on the 23rd. The reason she took 3 is that they were the last of the litter and she couldn't bear the thought of them being separated. I did the HC myself and she convinced me it was a good idea. She lived alone, was expecting no visitors or parties and the only sign of Christmas was a few cards and pressies she'd bought for the kittens. She was a high powered council official on a massive salary and nothing to spend it on except my kittens and was just starting 3 weeks break so had bags of time to spend with them before she went back to work. I did keep tabs on her and sure enough, she went to the vets I'd suggested and had all three second vac, chipped and snipped.  :naughty:

Sometimes it's worth concidering bending the rules.  :sneaky:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 08:13:56 AM »
Thanks for explaining MCR, I always like to know in case it is something we hadn't thoguht of and can incorporate. I did home an adult the week after we officially closed last year, and she has gone to a really good home, I am glad I let her go - and it gave me the space to pick one up on NEw Years Eve then.
Please spay your cat

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 15:42:09 PM »
 We never Home kittens or cats a Christmas we close our books till its over no mater what end of story :closed:we give them a good Christmas dinner and all the fuss and love we can i always think its better to be save than sorry.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2008, 11:09:33 AM »
that's OK. ;)  we like to think we look at things logically in terms of homing and do what is practical.  At the end of the day it is always what is best for the cat / kitten. If its not, then it doesn't happen! :)
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
sorry, didn't get that far down!!!  that's good to know

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 10:59:10 AM »
No not every circumstance Dawn... as I said above....

That said when it comes to Christmas we won't home kittens at all unless we deem it appropriate in certain circumstances e.g. 2 adults having a quiet christmas at home.  Otherwise they have to wait to 3rd week in Jan.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
is that in every circumstance Sarah? I only ask because for OH and I (no kids and just us for Christmas) its a fab time of year with nearly two weeks off at home

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »
Desley our reason for 3rd week in Jan for kittens is so that by then all the dec's are down, tree gone, pressies away, visitors and parties over and life is back into a normal routine for a week or two before introducing a kitten into the home. 

suppose we all have our funny wee ways! ;) 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 09:57:05 AM »
Sharon - there is a lot of info in that, althoguh I think a tad long, people wont read all of it.
MCR - suprised that you dont home so late in Jan, but I like the thought of referring people to Toys r Us!!
I always give people the option of ringing, but it can be nice to do a bit on e-mail first, especially as I then refer them to whoever has the cat, so at least we know a bit more, and whether it is worth them speaking to someone over the phone
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 08:23:15 AM »
Hi all
I do agree and ALWAYS speak to people about adopting a cat and kitten, but email works for me.. as it gets rid of the time wasters. This is the current blurb i give people (along with general adoption advice)... when they give the nearest hint of adopting a kitten at Christmas... it may not be everyones cup of tea, but if they are truly committed then they get back to me... It may be abit strong but there we are..and it does the trick for me..

THE CHRISTMAS MESSAGE WHY CHRISTMAS IS NOT ALWAYS A HAPPY ENDING FOR ANIMALS!

It may look adorable with a little ribbon round its neck, a beautiful soft bundle of fur underneath the Christmas tree, but giving someone a cat or kitten for Christmas is not such a good idea. Every year animal welfare charities are flooded with pets who were unwanted Christmas presents, or from people who had underestimated the burden of responsibility that comes with pet ownership.

Cats Protection labels the impulse to give cats as Christmas presents 'a recipe for disaster'. If you are considering giving a cat as a gift, Cats Protection offer the following reasons why you should change your mind:

Giving a cat as a surprise present is unfair on the recipient: having a cat is a serious decision and requires planning.
The Christmas season, full of noise and disruption, is the worst time to bring an animal into a new environment.
Even little kittens do not come cheaply. The recipient of a surprise cat may not have the financial resources to continue caring for it, or may lack the necessary equipment or knowledge to care for a new cat.
The surprised new owner may not want to have a cat, and both will suffer for it.
If you are determined to make the season festive feline-style, Cats Protection recommends giving cat-related gifts, such as scratching posts, catnip toys, or IOUs for things like pet insurance or vaccinations or even better by one of our fab Branch Calendars!!!!

Seeing that Christmas is the season of goodwill to humans and animals why not seriously consider taking on an older cat that may have been with us for some time but always gets over looked for the younger models. For us in rescue the benefits of taking on a mature feline far outweigh its supposedly age old issue of “Oh that one is too old” Can we really be a society where as soon as animal matures out of kittenhood we paint them all with the same brush and label them “Too old”…

After Christmas despite the barrage of media from rescues of “Don’t get a animal for Christmas” people still do and rescues suffer accordingly in the New year. The “oldies” get dumped because they are no fun any more and kittens prove to be too expensive, too messy and too hyperactive to keep. So why not do the sensible thing and come back to us in the New Year where we will all be bursting at the seams with cats and kittens that for one reason or another are dumped because people just didn’t care enough to think about the commitment of taking on an animal.

The other side of the coin is those people that genuinely need to rehome an animal over the Christmas period and after due to bereavement, family issues or a whole host of other problems cannot because every kitten we take in takes a place of a seemingly more needy case. And then don’t forget the stray that has no home, has no blankets to sleep on, has no food to eat and has no warm fire to sit by. Strays don’t get a choice of a happy ever after home because there is usually never any space in rescues to take them in.

However, as a branch of Cats Protection and no matter what the time of year we want to make sure our cats and kittens end up in loving forever homes sooner rather then later. So if you are planning a quiet couple of weeks at home on your own, or seek a feline for companionship, don’t have a pethorela of kiddies invading your home, or not having endless parties and every relative you ever new down for the Christmas holidays...... then please do get in touch to talk things through, because you could be the answer to one or two of our cats prays.

..................and finally although this is not just a seasonal issue....the Pet Shop trade does not really help to relay the Christmas message, as Pet Shop who are legally allowed to sell animals, will do at any time of the year. Pay your money and pick and kitten....Sounds dead simple right..

BUT THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why rescues dislike Petshops & all those Free Ad Websites
Kittens sold through pet shops are sometimes obtained from dubious backgrounds, often no more than 'kitten farms' where very little attention is paid to the health and welfare of the animal. Conditions of care in many pet shops are often far less than ideal and litters of kittens are often mixed so disease can spread, but you may not realise that until its all too late and you find yourself with a sickly kitten and a very expensive vets bill.  Furthermore, you want get to see the "Mum" of the kittens, have no idea of their past history and no idea of any health issues that may be hereditary (heart mumors, deafness etc, etc).

The bottom line is that Pet Shops are run as a business for profit, therefore money is the main motivator. They will happily sell a kitten to anyone who pays their money, with no thought to whether that animal will end up in a suitable home, who realises the what the expenses are when they take it on (neuter, vaccinate etc). Some  of those kittens may never of been to a vet to be health checked, its unusal for any of them to be vaccinated and some have more then their fare share of worms and fleas. There is no advice given out to new owners, no back up for problems, no "returns policy" , no help with neutering, nope you are on your own! 

So some cute, fluffy kittens bought in pets shops grow up un-neutered, unvaccinated,  un-cared for and find themselves eventually joining the two and a half million strays  on the streets - often victims of hunger, cruelty and disease, because it just seemed to be a really good idea to "buy" a kitten on a Saturday afternoon just before the shop  closes for the weekend!

And why not make it even easier... buy a cat or kitten of the internet!! Is this really such a good idea?

Every kitten bought through a petshop has then used up a home - and so somewhere in the country another healthy kitten could  be put to sleep because there are not enough homes to go round and not enough rescue space available to foster them.
Even if you have the perfect home to offer - by buying from a Petshop, you are helping to perpetuate this thoughtless trade that only exists because people unwisely think Pet Shops are the best places to get a nice new kitten!

By rescuing, you are giving a home to an animal that really needs it, and not helping those who breed and sell for profit.

(PS some wording adapted from CP site)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:24:50 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 07:16:02 AM »
If I get someone who is exceptionally persistent and rude about wanting a kitten because they have 'promised the kids one' I tend to suggest they try Toys R Us!    kittens after all are not objects to be handed over as Gifts!!!!

Never thought of that one  ;D

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 06:25:36 AM »
like others I prefer folks to phone me when it comes to kittens as I usually barrage them with questions and my gut usually give me an inkling yeah or nay based on their answers and attitude on the phone.

That said when it comes to Christmas we won't home kittens at all unless we deem it appropriate in certain circumstances e.g. 2 adults having a quiet christmas at home.  Otherwise they have to wait to 3rd week in Jan.

If I get someone who is exceptionally persistent and rude about wanting a kitten because they have 'promised the kids one' I tend to suggest they try Toys R Us! ;)   kittens after all are not objects to be handed over as Gifts!!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 22:53:04 PM »
I prefer them to ring me, and we will home in certain circumstances, Angel went after we officially closed last year, as they were a childless couple having a quiet Christmas - we would only ever home adults at that time, never kittens.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:42:08 AM »
I don't like e-mails for cats/kittens, I usually send one back asking them to ring me. Otherwise e-mails are going backwards and forwards and it takes forever to get the full picture. Also it is when speaking on the phone that the gut feeling comes, good or bad.

We do not advertise in the paper for 3 weeks at the end of the year. But we would home at Christmas in certain circumstances. Say a teacher wanted a couple of kittens and they were planning a quiet family Christmas. Or if someone had lost a cat (not lost as in lost but lost as in PTS) we would consider a cat/kitten, again only if they were planning a quiet family Christmas. If there were children in the homed however, we would not home in any circumstances until after the New Year, because no way will there be a quiet family Christmas and if there were then something would be very wrong.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:29 AM »
We have had an odd kitten season here, we have had more single kittens than mums and kittens. I can't remember what I normally tell people if they want a kitten for a present I'm afraid, I dont recall having too many of those in the past.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Received my 1st email about rehoming a kitten at Christmas!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:44 AM »
Unfortunately, despite my best efforts we still have more kittens then we know what to do with and are getting daily calls about preg mums ( had four calls yesterday). Five of our kittens are going to be ready at Christmas time so they will probably not be rehomed (if they get rehomed things are quiet) until Jan.

Yesterday i had my first email enquiry about rehoming a cat for a christmas present for his wife at Christmas.. To save all the typing i usually have a standard reply i email people and then see what they come back with (or if they do come back and have thought again).. But i was wondering what other rescues do when dealing with enquiries such as this?

Of course nothing stops them going to buy a cat or kitten etc, but i try to reinforce why its such a bad idea, esp in busy family homes. But i want to make sure i dont patronise people but perhaps educate..

All thoughts on right wording much appreciated.

BTW this email enquiry never got back to me to discuss furhter..
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:05:05 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat