Author Topic: Any idea why 4 cats in Birmingham rescue are threatened with PTS?(via catchat)  (Read 7016 times)

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
I've come into this rather late - but this post caught my eye. I'm a 'Top Cat' volunteer on CatChat and vaguely remember something about a posting where cats were being threatened with being PTS.

I'm sure the volunteer in question (which wasn't me I hasten to add!) had no intention of creating a advert in poor taste but these ads aren't always very easy to write particularly as the policy is always to write as if the cat is actually talking. We do get the info though a form that's submitted and then we re-write it in 'cat speak'.  It seems inevitable to me that mistakes will sometimes occur. Be aware we are just volunteers.

I hope the kitties get a new home  - sounds like a desperate situation.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Other rescues could do direct rehoming as they aren't doing very well with it so far?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Thats the problem Mark, the women WONT let them come into rescue !!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
The wording has been changed and there is no mention of PTS at all - I wonder if any effort has been made to get them on other rescues waiting lists?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
The write up on Catchat has now been changed. Sadly i dont see much changing with regarding to rehoming unless a rescue can find a placement for them..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
So So sad poor babes  :'( :'( :'( :'(

I feel so inadequate in these situations- as I cannot do anything  :'( :'(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
I hope these two can find a home soon
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Looks like the rescue are in a tricky situation, and no wonder they are struggling with these 4 - I have to say, i dont always check the Top Cats page when one of mine goes on, so I can understand why they didn't do that. If we are doing a direct homing though, I do put it on the write up
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
I think that now that its been reported to CC we can assume that all due dilligence is being done by them now.

I would urge people not to name and shame or make assumptions about who posted what where as they can be very damaging especially as none of us knows the rescue in question or their circumstances. Not everyone updates their website daily especially if run by volunteers so there could be a reason for them not stating why they are closed. They might just need some help and guidance..

Thanks

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
CC have removed the link directing to their website but still have the same wording on the cats entries. Iv emailed them, if everyone does then maybe they will pull the ads down and rewrite in a TASTEFUL fashion.
How horrible for a no kill shelter to be associated with that  >:(

In regards to being a registered charity and pts cats its not illegal and something we have to realise happens, there arent enough homes to go around sadly (not that im agreeing with it at all) but if the big shelters who we know pts regularly didnt how many more would die on the streets, a lesser of two evils but it could be avoided if people just neutered their cats.  :tired:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
I HAVE HAD ANOTHER EMAIL FROM THE RESCUE - IT WASN'T AS IT SEEMED AT ALL

ok the cats were put on our account and homes were asked for them http://www.catchat.org/animalhouse/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008081806 as you can see it says their home is to be sold and they will have no where to go. The contact number isn't ours but belongs to the lady who is feeding the cats, who will get a share of the money when the house is sold.  Unfortunately she won't let them go to a rescue as she feels it wouldn't be fair to have them in pens and we are fighting a losing battle to try and persuade her not to have the cats pts. We ARE doing our best.

The foster home who is dealing with this woman (as it is an aquaintance of hers) asked CatChat to do a feature as we are running out of time.  The house is to be put up for sale within the next two weeks.  I had not read the CatChat article and the foster home hadn't had chance to check it out either, CatChat have now been asked to correct this.  Nobody can be more frustrated at the events that have happened to put these cats in this position than us, we didn't want to put too much info on as the woman does look at the animal sites and if she got annoyed we feel she would have them pts just to stop people from having a go so we tread carefully especially as she is getting pressure from the other benificiaries. The advert fot the cats will be put on our own site as soon as is humanly possible now we have the info and pictures. Please feel free to phone 01384 565045 and speak to Julie if u have any more issues with this.

As to the kittens on our site, we do not rehome under 8 weeks and the hand rears, which we have a 99% succeses rate with, are not rehomed untill they are 10-12 weeks depending on how well they do. we do however take bookings/reservations from 5 weeks old.

---------------------------------

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Am fairly certain the CC volunteers do the write ups for the Top Cats page Mark, I just put a few details in the form, and they do the rest.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Are we really sure someone at Catchat did the wording?

Anyway, whoever did should have worded it with the deserved gravity of the situation  >:(

I still believe that had these cats gone on other rescues waiting lists, there is no way a year would have passed without them being taken in somewhere. The way the ad is worded is more likely to attract someone who will take the cats because they feel sorry for them or will take them on to save them when they possibly aren't in a position to do so.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I think the volunteer at CC should get a stern word over this, as it has made the rescue look bad, and it really wasn't done tastefully.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
Not knowing all the facts it hard to make comments. But where does it say on their website or on links they are closed due to catflu?

Sorry getting abit bogged down here but anyone who has a rescue can make a page up on Catchat you cannot blame us for making a point that it imples that the rescue is involved via the link..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:28:11 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Arrr this is kind of a direct rehoming then.. In which case it could of been much better worded on catchat i feel.. especially as the topcat link goes straight to this rescues page...
Always more behind the story i suppose.. But i still would like to know how come a year has passed on this..

I replied and pointed out that they should have checked the wording as the way it reads these cats are in the care of their rescue!
I also commented on a couple of 5wk old kittens on their website and said i hoped they werent rehoming them at such a young age

• Super Cat
Arrr this is kind of a direct rehoming then.. In which case it could of been much better worded on catchat i feel.. especially as the topcat link goes straight to this rescues page... and it kind of implies involvement.. Or am i just reading this wrongly

Always more behind the story i suppose.. But i still would like to know how come a year has passed on this..
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 11:18:01 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
THIS IS THE REPLY I GOT FROM THE RESCUE

Ok first off where the hell (using your words....) do you see anywhere on OUR site (http://www.theanimalhouserescue.co.uk/homecats.htm) that we are going to put to sleep 1 cat let alone 4????   What you will find is that we have advertised the fact that 4 cats will be put to sleep by a woman who has been left a 1/3 share in a house in order that she looks after the cats. The woman doesn't want the cats though and if a home cannot be found then she intends to put them to sleep - one of our foster carers has put them on cat chat to advertise their plight.  It is CatChat who hasn't worded it properly.

We are at the moment closed due to a flu virus, and cannot take anything in at present, however if you can help these cats please contact our foster career on 01384 565045 and ask for julie.........

We do not advocate puting any animal to sleep unless on veterinary advice and currrently have a £6,000 vets bill to substanciate this due to us battling with very sick cats and kittens to give them a fighting chance against this flu virus, something that many other rescues would have given up on.

Thank you for your concern.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I can't believe the wording on those advertisements, and I can't understand why a rescue place couldnt be found in a year.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
I do find it quite hard to believe that in one year a rescue hasnt taken these two on or at least got them on a waiting list. No behavioural or health issues are mentioned, other then they age they seem to be loving cats.. As Mark says networking is the key.. We are lucky to have CP behind us but dont call bluff on every hard to  home cats in our care. the last puss homed through another branch Marcus had been in our care around 6month and then we decided to see if another rescue could be able to rehome him due to his specific needs. He was eventually rehomed less then a week after being in their care. 

Anyhow i wait to see what there reply is that Michelle sent with anticipation.. Surely CP Birmingham have some clout that way to help out?

Not sure it was right of Catchat to tell there story like that.. Mark not sure if you are aware but most of the time is Catchat volunteers that do the cat chat top cat pages so it may not have anything to do with the rescue unless they supplied the wording beforehand.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
It is in poor taste to advertise like that - what they should be doing is networking with other rescues to see what can be done rather than scare tactics. We have had several situations this years when cats have been threatened with PTS - two of them were going to be PTS same day. We just phoned around every rescue possible and found places for them. They would be considered high priority. I think it is unforgivable joking about euthanasia being a place. I am sure with some networking, temporary foster homes could be found. I'm not sure aboiut other areas but most of our vets would refuse to PTS healthy cats.

I'm sure if they had gone on CP and other waiting lists they would have been taken in by now.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 09:48:02 AM by Mark »

• Super Cat
ummm well that at least sheds some light on it.. But isnt a year long enough for some rescue to find them a placement somewhere? I realise that are only seeing half the story here but still...Someone should of known that sooner or later the house will be sold..and then the problem will rear its head again..

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Yep, I agree.

I have no idea what the rescue is like at all, but to be fair (from what I gather), these cats are still residing at their deceased owner's house which is due to be sold and I guess nobody has any space.  :(

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
The write up on the top cats page is in poor taste - I'm wondering if they are trying to use the shock factor to rehome them????

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
Hold on peeps, if you read their catchat page, you will find out that these four cats will be pts because there is simply nowhere for them to go:

http://www.catchat.org/animalhouse/cgibin/prview.cgi?id=2008081806

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I can't believe they are a registered charity?

Surely they breach the trades description act if they murder innocent healthy animals  :censored:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
If anyone would like to PM me i have a reply from this rescue to an email i sent them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR
If a mod would like to tell me if it is ok to post their reply on here i will be happy to do so
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 22:43:32 PM by furbabystar (Michelle) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
 :censored: :censored:

This isn't rescue - why take in cats if you are going to have them PTS?  >:(

They shouldn't be involved with animals at all - they would be better off stray taking their chances than ending up with scum like that!

I really hate the way they are joking about PTS - sick  :censored:

These poor cats need saving and they should stop taking cats in!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 00:19:17 AM by Mark »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
SICK  :censored: !!

I am disgusted

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
 :shocked: word fail me
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Some rescues do pts but there are ways of highlighting those due for it, i find their wording insulting, like its a subject to joke about.

• Super Cat
There link on the main catchat board dosnt say much about the "whys" but i have to question the reason... I question the rescue policies, i just dont see a reason for a cat to be in rescue for so long and then decide to PTS.. because you are not really a rescue are you? Does anyone know this rescue?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think thats a horrible way of advertising cats and im going to complain to cat chat. What a way to advertise your policies  :sick:

I am trying to find a place called Euthanasia, ever heard of it? …

Cant even write it without it making it sound like a joke  >:(

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Oh I wish I hadnt looked - Ginger and Rolo are dead ringers for Jerry and Gizzy.

I cant understand why any of these kitties have to be PTS :'( :'(

• Super Cat
I have just seen this on the catchat topcat page. Any idea why four healthy cats in rescue are under the threat of being PTS?
Its Birmingham way Animal House Rescue i think. Take a look. perhaps somebody out there knows why or equally a nice new home. There link on the main catchat board dosnt say much about the "whys" but i have to question the reason... I question the rescue policies, i just dont see a reason for a cat to be in rescue for so long and then decide to PTS.. because you are not really a rescue are you?

http://www.catchat.org/topcats/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=55&MMN_position=47:47
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 19:56:52 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »

Link to CatChat