Author Topic: Is all this really necessary?  (Read 25109 times)

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
Re: Is all this really necessary?
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2008, 18:56:33 PM »
I know how the OP feels. When we got our cats in the latter part of last year we were met with a kind woman who seemed genuinly pleased for us. We illustrated some knowledge about looking after them and gave her assurance etc. We collected the kittens a week later and everything went well.

But over this weekend we met with someone who whilst she loved her cats seemed to flit in between being grateful that we wanted to potentiall take this cat and then would change tack and seemingly not want us to have them. (We said yes and then it was...see how you feel next week wtf?).

She then asked us what we would like to call this cat and said it had to start with a specific letter! I then queried that this cat's leg was shaking a little and she said that humans shake and it doesent mean there's anything up with them. erm. no crap sherlock! But if a cats shaking it could possibly mean he's going to drop dead in a few months! I dont mean to sound flippant but through no fault of our own we lost our kitten through no fault of our own. He had all his vaccinations etc. and it was through a blood parasite that he probably got from his mother. The other cat we have then went through blood tests just for peace of mind and our cat has a delightful glossy coat, is brave, inquisitive and loves having her belly rubbed - We DONT want to go through the death of another cat so soon after and this is why I brought the problem to light.

To be honest with you I felt quite insulted by this woman. When we told her what we want to call it you could feel the tension! It put a bad taste in my mouth!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2008, 17:56:42 PM »
they'll probably make that another excuse to hang onto them  >:(

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2008, 17:34:47 PM »
Thanks for everyones comments - glad people see it from the same point as me!

We took all the completed agreement forms in yesterday, everyone was fine with it, which I was so grateful about! The lady in reception was one of the nicest ones I've seen there and sighed as I showe her the forms, I got the distinct impression that she didn't agree with asking for neighbour permission any more than we did but there must be a protocol they have to stick to.

Our poor babies have developed the sniffles since their spay on wednesday, I saw them thursday lunchtime and they were fine but apparently started sneezing in the evening and are now on antibiotics so they have been a bit down in the dumps today and yesterday when we've seen them. I just wish we could take them home as I'm sure they would be more comfortable here. Unfortunately we still have the home visit to go, which apparently could take up to a week to sort out and then they need another 2 days notice to book an appointment to collect them!!!  :Crazy:

I will persevere though, I hope they can see how dediated we are by the fact that one or both of us has visited them most days since we first saw them!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2008, 14:11:35 PM »
Harna

I have to say many of us here work in rescues. Thoughts are always with the poor puds we have to turn away through lack of space, because few people step forward to adopt the cats we already have. Prospective owners that approach us, in Canterbury, are welcomed with open arms and given tea and biscuits. After all, the very action of steping forward to adopt an adult cat from rescue is a positive sign as it's all so easy to get a kitten out of the local petshop. Such people should be dragged through the door!

Not for the life of me can I see how making life difficult, to this extent, for would-be owners is in the cat's interest.  :-:

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2008, 14:02:43 PM »
Hello - I've been following your posting with interest as we are currently adopting a pair of cats from a rescue centre, too. Luckily, although we've been jumping through some hoops, they've not been half as bad as you. We have certainly been a little frustrated at times but can't begin to imagine how you must feel!

The way that I have been rationalising it my mind is that I expect the people who work in these places probably see cruelty and neglect and simple uncaring 'owners' on a daily basis and this is bound to cloud their view somewhat. It must be galling to have people pitch up with their unwanted cat and hand it over saying "the baby has allergies" or "we are moving and can't take it with us." And, regardless what they might think about these excuses, there is the knowledge that at least the cat has been handed in rather than just kicked out of the house or left behind in the old property. It must be tough to therefore put your trust in people who offer to give a cat a home and so the hoops and highjumps are employed in order to ensure that the cat is not going to be returned to them in the future. . . . .

I know from experience that it's sometimes quite hard to know that you are being judged - even though I have nothing to hide, I still squirm under the glare of the RSPCA staff!  But, like childbirth (  :wow:) it's a 'positive pain' as there is quite some reward at the end of it!

I admire your patience - good luck and keep us updated!

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2008, 11:40:38 AM »
I am afraid this rescue sounds VERY similar to my local rescue. I volunteer for CAT77 in Oldham, despite living in Rossendale due to my local rescue's attitude. They have similar hoops to yours Bryony and have loads of animals there for sooo long because of it. Also I took some donations up once, the lady at reception didn't even look up - she simply said 'put it in the trailer round the side' - not even a thank you! And of course the trailer was full to bursting - they need it though if they never rehome!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2008, 23:32:10 PM »
I am speechless (yes I know that's unusual  :sneaky: )

Can't add anymore to what's been said really  :hug:

I am sure everything will turn out ok in the end and well done for sticking with it  :hug: :hug:

Btw the furbabes are gorgeous  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2008, 22:27:56 PM »
my goodness  :Crazy:  how mad does this all sound.  pleased your neighbours are being lovely about it though  :)

its funny i was just chatting today about rescues....  its a weird thing being on this site, hearing all about how many cats various independent rescues have etc and then knowing full well it'd be a battle and a half to get a cat from a rescue.  i'm fairly sure i wouldnt have been 'allowed' one from a rescue at home  :-:  and as for here... well i'm a very willing, and i hope able fosterer, but i'm guessing the word student means i'm not even considered.   :tired:

all very highly stupid to me.

hope all goes well and you get those two lovely gingers soon  :Luv:  fingers crossed this is the last hoop  :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2008, 21:04:14 PM »
Hi Bryony and   :welcome:  to Purrs

I think you have the patience of a saint - what a performance

You obviously have your heart set on these kitties to go to the lengths that you have, why on earth you need to ask your neighbours permission.   :fart:

We went down to our rescue about six weeks ago and filled a form in for two kitties, a week went by and we heard nothing so I rang up and said "have you had the time to consider our application?"  the young lady said "no, we have been too busy, if you still want them come and get them".  So that is how we adopted Parrot and Cody - so far so good.

:luck: :luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2008, 09:18:49 AM »
They seem to have dogs, cats and other small animals (rabbits, hamsters etc). The cattery is fairly large, I guess there must be about 20 pens, most of which have more than one cat from the same home in. In the summer when they are very busy they have large pens on the floor as well. They also have an isolation cattery which looks at least as big as the adoption one. I suspect there are plenty of cats in there who don't need to be in isolation anymore and are just waiting for a space in the adoption cattery.

Most of the cats in the cattery have 'reserved' signs on them and have had since I first went there last wednesday so I can only assume most adoptions take the same kind of time that mine has, I hate to think what will happen if I go through all this and they still find some grounds to refuse me. The poor cats will be stuck in the cattery for at least another 2 weeks I think!

Got one more 'yes' reply yesterday and I'll have to knock on the other doors again today.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:42 AM »
600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness thats ummmmm crazy....................Lesley knows this place but if they make it so hard for people to home a cat no wonder they got so many animals.

Wonder what other animals they have and how many people work there.

It is known as an RSPCA re-homing centre, although they state they get no funds from RSPCA headquarters.  They re-home cats, dogs, small animals and I think they have a wildlife section as well, and horses, goats etc.

Most of the people who I know have had dealings with it have not been impressed.  I took a mum and kittens in from a family who live approx 1 mile from this Centre.  They took the mum and kittens to the Centre, and were advised that you can't just turn up with an animal there, and were told they did not have room for them!!!!!

One of Mike's friend's daughters used to work for the Vet that does their veterinary work for them.  They were asked to rear a litter of puppies that had been abandoned and Holly took them in until they were approximately 8 weeks of age, at which time they returned to the Centre.  She missed them and asked her mum if they could re-home one.  They went to the Centre and were told they could not re-home one of the puppies because they worked part time :Crazy: :Crazy:.  They hadn't minded that when she had all six of them to handrear.  They complained bitterly and were eventually able to re-home a pup from the litter.

I don't like knocking another rescue, but this one gets huge amounts of money from the local population and does not give a good service to the community and definitely should not be run undeer the auspices of the RSPCA (or maybe with it's reputation it should).
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2008, 21:32:23 PM »
As I thought, no young children at all and how exactly can you say that one cat is ok with children  6 and over and the next 8 and over.  Don't understand that. 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2008, 21:30:44 PM »
600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My goodness thats ummmmm crazy....................Lesley knows this place but if they make it so hard for people to home a cat no wonder they got so many animals.

Wonder what other animals they have and how many people work there.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2008, 21:28:35 PM »
No, Gill, this is the homepage for just this one rescue. It says at anyone time they have 600 animals on site - it must be massive!  :scared:

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2008, 21:26:31 PM »
What an ordeal.  No wonder, like some others have said, it will put people off.  Have not even tried that place after I heard a similar story from someone at work.  I would not even stand a chance with a young child-regradless of my childminder telling me every day that he is superb with her new puppy and with her hamster and that she is amazed how good he is.  well, that's growing up with animals.  

I am looking to adopt in three weeks from now and even though I have been exploring other places, i think I stick to the one I have the other three from.  They did a home check when one of my cats had gone missing (he is now back safe and sound) and were happy with what they saw and gave the green light. As I said, lots of cats unnecessarily looked up in those pens and stressed out even though genuine potential owners are waiting.

But I also had a nice chat with a CP lady yesterday although she did not have any animals for adoption. And keep missing the local one calling me when I am at work.  Hope something will come up.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2008, 21:25:34 PM »
Id the home page just for this rescue or is it for other ark rescues too?

I am sure someone recently mentioned one in a different part of the country?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2008, 21:20:43 PM »
I'm staggered!  :Crazy: Just looking at their homepage it says they need £2000 a day to keep running!  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

They also claim in their newsletter that in 2006 they took in over 1,800 cats. With the kinds of hoops they are making Bryony jump through, I don't see how they can rehome that amount of cats a year. So where are they all? You would need a cattery the size of a small african nation to keep all those puds.  :-: Very odd...  :shify:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2008, 18:35:50 PM »
No new replies on the doorstep when I got home  :-[

Although I did have a nice chat with the lady who has a cat. Think I might have to knock on some doors after dinner, everyone except the buisnessman bloke seems to be home.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2008, 16:54:19 PM »
Thats the one, and no i don't mind at all, after all this I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

And Lesley, that bit of text is exactly why I never mentioned keeping the cats indoors to them and that may well be my downfall if they don't like the way my garden is accessed from the house.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2008, 16:41:43 PM »
The centre in question, I dno't think its actually an RSCPA place looking at the site, as it doesn't get any funding from them, looks like they just work with them.

There is a section in the adopting an animal part that has a lift of check points and says: 'Can you give your cat safe access to a garden or somewhere safe outside? '

This makes me think they aren't hugely keen on  the idea of indoor cats in general.

Pinkbear, this is the rescue in question, I am sure Bryony won't mind as this is taken from her other thread "Does anyone work for the RSPCA".  When I worked at the vets locally, this Centre did not have the best reputation in the world and the dealings I have had with them have not been the best either, especially when I reported I had "found" a cat and asked them to take the details and two months later they phoned, saying they were up-dating their records and had I found the cat I had "lost" :Crazy:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 15:15:17 PM by Tan »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2008, 16:28:27 PM »
Bryony, would you mind PMing me the name of this rescue? I'm such a nosey moo that I'd like to have a look at them closer.  :sneaky: Promise I won't spill the beans in public.  :wish:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2008, 16:25:09 PM »
Cos you dont have neighbours like mine  :rofl: :rofl:

Apparently the law is on your side if you just do it without asking but if you ask and they refuse then you have real problems cos the law is on their side.!

If you have any probs Bryony I would certainly ummmmmmmmmm be artistic  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 16:20:06 PM »
What a wicked suggestion Lollylou!  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

Hoping there will be at least another reply on the mat when I get home.

If there's not, knock on those doors - people can be quite apathetic about things that don't affect them.  Plan a little mini speech if you're nervous so you don't get all tongue tied, just think - the sooner you get the letters back the closer you are to adopting those beautiful girls  :wow: I had to knock on my neighbours doors to ask if they minded me catproofing my garden, even though it's going to be attached to my fences I didn't want to put it up only for them to complain.  I was so nervous and had printed pics out to show what it would look like etc.  My neighbours were absolutely fine about it and I really don't know why I was so worried about asking! 

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 16:10:29 PM »
Lol, I did consider it with one of my neighbours, he is the only one we know properly as people have recently moved away and he is always away on buisness, I highly doubt he would mind at all as I have seen him patting one of the neighbourhood cats so I would be ok with signing one on his behalf until he gets back (I think he is away at the moment) and can give me his signed reply. The others I wouldn't do it purely because I don't know them. Hoping there will be at least another reply on the mat when I get home.

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 16:04:52 PM »
Oh and make sure you use different shades of biro......   :rofl:

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 16:03:30 PM »
This is probably unethical and extremely illegal  :evillaugh: but you could just make up signitures???  ;)

I am not being funny, but how the hell would they ever know or check, I personally think they are testing you to see how
determined you really are....

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 15:50:43 PM »
Probably not that many, if I wasn't so stubborn, I would have given up by now, but I won't let them stop me from giving the poor little things a home, they are so young and already been abandoned once!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 15:45:35 PM »
This rescue is beyond cautious - they are just plain nuts! :garf:  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How many cats did they rehome last year? Was it over or under 6?  :Dont know:

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2008, 08:51:32 AM »
As people have said though, surely that means I'd need to go to every house with a garden that my cat could possibly go into if I let them out. Cats don't tend to stay in one garden unless it is cat proofed. The garden at my parents house is completely enclosed with walls but her cat will just climb over the walls and go for a wander.

I suppose its a positive thing that my next door neighbour also has a cat, I assume that it is an indoor only as well as I've never seen a cat going in or out and her house is laid out in the same way as mine. I got another yes reply as well so 4 to go, and I'm not entirely convinced that one of those isn't empty as well.

It just seems a bit much, the woman who replid saying she had a cat couldn't understand why I should need their permission and said she never asked when she got her cat!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »
Ela, I can't see why the neighbours not liking cats should be a problem, the residences are seperate, each with our own front door going straight outside, surely its no different to people in houses living next to each other and one having cats.

It is the communal garden that would be the problem if one intended to let the cats out, although I appreciate in your case you would keep them in, so I think in your case the policy is stupid.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 22:14:57 PM »
I am so sorry this is happening Bryony cos like others are saying this is just past the point of being careful and sensible.

Its   :censored: nothing to do with your neighbours and if your landlord has agreed that should be it.

Sometimes I despair of rescues with these daft policys cos its like they dont want to free up a paen for another needy cat.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2008, 19:09:06 PM »
this is bureaucracy gone mad - they should provide you with a list of their requirements up front and ensure you have a clear understanding of their policies. If all the residences in your building have a separate entrance then it is nothing to do with your neighbours whether you have cats or not. I live in a row of terraces - would they demand I obtain permission from all of my neighbours before homing a cat with me? Highly unlikely and if they did I would be demanding to talk to the person in charge. If they stuck with their policy I would not only be telling them their ancestry, I would also be telling the local paper of their idiotic, overly controlling and irrational approach to finding homes for animals - I have no doubt they use the local paper to broadcast requests for financial assistance, so I would have no problems with that approach. Be more assertive with them. OK, they might get really stubborn, but if they do, then subject them to the public condemnation route - they darn well deserve it!! >:(

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2008, 18:56:46 PM »
Words fail me, I know these rescues have the animals interest at heart but as others have said this seems so over the top. Try not to let this get you down, easier said than done I know. Dont give up, sending you lots of  :hug: 

Offline lollylou

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 18:38:38 PM »
Oh Bryony, feel sorry for you...I totally 100% appreciate house checks etc but cannot understand why on earth you would need written permission from other residents, its the equivilent of getting neighbours from private local houses to sign a clause if your cat went in the garden.
Surely your landlords permission should be more than suffice.

I called a rescue the other week and told they would not rehome to my street - I am pretty sure she has never been to my street as yes there are cars as there are every road but apart from peak times there are hardly any cars, my cats will not be going out at these times anyway!!

Sometimes rescue (please no-one be offended) really should realise that by turning these potentially loving forever homes, they are pushing people to back street breeders???!!!

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 17:49:00 PM »
1 reply already! And possibly a very useful one.

our next door neighbour saying its absolutely fine as she has a cat! May be something to come back to if I get any no's, if there is already a cat living in our block.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 17:40:33 PM »
I don't think they misunderstood the situation because I explained it again today, that the only place that is communal is the area of grass at the back, which isn't really private as it has 2 paths to it and no gates, anyone and their cat could jsut walk in! I think its ridiculous but if its the rules I guess theres nothing I can do about it but hope that none of the neighbours have any grudge against cats or us!

I knocked round all the doors just now but no-one was in (they all seem to be buisness types and get in a lot later than me). We are off to guildford in half an hour to pick something up for one of the cars and pick some dinner up on the way so by the time we get back it'll be a bit late for door knockings so I'm afraid I've bottled it and put notes through. One guy took some post in for me a couple of weeks ago and it took me another week to get it back and that was only because he left it in the bin shed for me. Everytime I called round there was no-one in. I don't really want this all taking another week to sort out for the poor cats sake.

I guess the fact that we've been here nearly 6 months and only met 2 of the neighbours (one who has now moved away and left an empty property) shows how little any of them are actually at home. This is a really horrible feeling waiting for replies, I feel a bit ill!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2008, 16:49:31 PM »
I really don't understand why on earth they need the neighbours to agree if you have your own private entrance to your own private dwelling  :Crazy:  Do you think they have misunderstood your set up and think that to get outside the cats would need to go through a communal area?

As for getting the letters signed, I know it's daunting knocking on strange neighbours doors (who even knows their neighbours names nowadays?!) but bite the bullet and try to talk to them in person rather than dropping a note through.  If they're not in when you knock keep your eyes peeled for their car and go back as soon as they get in :luck:

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 16:44:06 PM »
What a load of old rubbish! That rescue going OTT.. cannot believe they do that for all their homechecks. Obsurd i would say.. I hope its not a CP branch as they should know better!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 16:44:01 PM »
I would definately stick at it. I did with mine (different circumstances though) and it was well worth it :D

Also the place I got mine from prefers cats to be allowed outdoors but I've chosen indoors only and they are find with that (he's now 7 months).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 16:35:18 PM »
Thanks, letters are all ready so I will be knocking on doors when I get home and leaving the letters for anyone who's not in. I just really hope no-one says no, as I can't see any real reason why it will even affect them! Its not like they have carefully planted rosebeds anywhere for the cats to dig up, all we have is a largely ignored tatty lawn and a bin shed. Our sky dish would have been more of an inconveniance and yet sky put that up without a question asked and no-one has complained despite the wire running all the way round the building from our bin/bike shed.

Link to CatChat