Author Topic: Home Inspection Query  (Read 2018 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Home Inspection Query
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 18:53:49 PM »
Misa and Sasa arrived 5 days after my wonderful Kocka went to the bridge, I actually emailed CP the next day and by midweek they had taken me to look at the cats, two days later they took me back and I came home with Misa and Sasa who had never met until then.

Just going to meet the cats helped me but like Helen says everyone is different. Kocka was so special and there will never be another cat like herand she was a lapcat but neither of these two was or is and Sasa still cant be touched!

She has just called me for a play session and she is now back to normal after her vets visit and me going away, which is much quicker than ever before, we will get there cos I know she is wanting stroking so much  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 18:37:50 PM »
Timing of a new arrival is different for everyone, I lost my beloved cat Tiggy who I'd had since I was 10 years old just a few months short of her 19th birthday.  I was, and still am, devastated by her loss but very soon after losing her I adopted my two boys, she truly was irreplaceable and adopting them definitely doesn't take away from how special she was and how much I love and miss her but... giving a home to the boys was the BEST thing I have ever done, every single day they make me belly laugh at their antics and I can't help but break out into a contented smile every time I look at them  :Luv:  I know Tiggy would be proud to see how happy they make me and I'm sure Bertie will be pleased when you feel able to open your heart to another furry friend  :hug:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 18:40:33 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 18:25:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys - that has def put my mind to rest and I am just going to be patient and wait for the right cat when the time is right.

It does make sense that back gardens are inspected etc and probably because my wee man was indoors only they didn't need to inspect the house as such but when I think about it they did ask a lot of questions about our working hours, visitors to the house etc. I also got on really well with the lady in the place - so that must have helped  ;D.

I will just take my time and see what unfolds. I need to get some work done on the house so now that I am cat free ( :'() I should take the opportunity to get that done first and then get a new furball. I may actually get 2 next time - I will be living alone soon so the more company for them the better, my last wee man had to be a lone cat but who knows about the next ones.

Thanks again everyone - oh and I forgot to mention but I am in Edinburgh - but willing to travel for the right cat/cats   :Luv: and will keep you posted on how my quest goes in the coming months. The thought of it does help to take away the pain of losing my wee man.

:thanks:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 16:31:55 PM »
Immaculately tidy and neat homes are not cat-friendly - a bit of general chaos and ratty furniture means you will be relaxed about any of kitties occasional destructive activities, like this one  ;D :

:scratch:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 16:26:25 PM »
Try to think of it as a home visit and not an inspection, abit of dust wont fail you  ;D Not saying you have a dusty house....  :rofl:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »
You may find that in some cases home checks aren't done as they aren't done by all rescues although yes there are national organisations who always do them.

We try to do them as often as possible but being short staffed, over worked and very little time this isn't always possible.  that said... we are very thorough in the questions we pose prospective adoptees and where doubt arise we will always make a point of doing a home check which that said should all be well it is more about offering advice and looking at the local area rather than specifically what's 'in' the house. 

After all what difference does it make if your suite is leather or fabric... your kitchen is bright pink or brown.... or you have 1 bedroom instead of 3...

At the end of the day it should boil down to the perceived ability of you being able to care for a cat in a loving, responsible way.

I wouldn't be put off either way.  what you should be looking for when you go to a rescue is the health of the cats and their conditions, attitude of the staff towards the animals, etc.

Look for gungy eyes, sneezing, coughing, etc and don't be afraid to ask questions.  A good rescue should be upfront with you about the care of the animals if they try to hide it... what else are they trying to hide?

Either way... good luck in finding your new furbabe... I'm sure when you are ready you will find your perfect new baby!

xx

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »
Hi Some Rescues like the one I foster for the UKRCC will travel anywhere in the uk to home a needy cat if that is the right home for them. I do some of the home checks and like someone else said we are not looking for over tidy spotless house. We look for a cat friendly one with someone who knows abit about cats and there strange habits as lets face it cats are always surprising us with their next clever trick :rofl:.. When you home an indoor cat like most of the ragdolls we home the main thing we look for is somewhere safe and comfortable for them. So please stop worrying about the home check its really not as bad as you think its just a friendly chat and a quick look around your home that's it.Good luck in your search for a new baby or babies.Do let us all know when you get one or 2.

www.ukrcc.co.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 00:11:04 AM »
I am sure once the time is right for you there will be loads of needy cats needing homes indoors. As already said we often have emergency cases come up because so called cat lovers are uping sticks and havent made arangements for the cat, or numerouse other excuses.

We also get sad cases where the devoted owner has been taken ill and can longer lkeeep a cat and the family dont want it .

There will be the right cat for you I am sure.

Dont worry about home inspections cos if they have a cat needing an indoor home I am sure you will be able to provide what ever they are looking for.

Stick around on Purrs and you will learn to love us  :shify: :shify:

Where abouts in the country do you live, just so we know  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 21:52:12 PM »
If you want to find a list of rescues i your area the following link may help ... just click on the map to find your area: http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html  I'm sure you will find your special furbabe in no time at all.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 21:45:44 PM »
Well, it is unusual not to have a home check of some sort, but as you say you wanted an Indoor only cat, what would be the point of inspecting a non existant garden?  :shy: All that matters to an indoor cat is your attitude, knowledge and resources and these are things a home checker can assess by speaking to you anywhere. I dare say the rescue that you got your puss from figured you to be a responsible person and were happy to release their ickle bundle to your care.  :Luv:

Home checks are not about how clean you are, or what type of tea and biscuits you supply. They are about what the traffic is like outside your house. Is the garden safe? Are there any pit-bull terrier fanatics next door?

The only problems you face, as far as I can see, is finding the right puss for you. Indoor cats do come up but a lot less frequently and they tend to be FIV, blind, deaf, etc., so you should put hard thought and research into what kind of cat you would be suitable for and vice versa. Wait a wee while and keep following this forum and before long I promise you there'll be a deserving furbabe who is desparate for your facilities. And these tend to need rehoming fast as often they are much harder for rescues to care for, for any length of time.  ;) :)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Home Inspection Query
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 21:01:24 PM »
Hi all, apologies if this is in the wrong section but it did seem the most appropriate.

My last beloved cat was from a rescue centre - a well known one which I should probable keep nameless. I was able to go view the cats that day, fell in love with my Balinese baby and as they didn't reserve cats arranged to take him later that afternoon. I remembered being asked a couple of questions about my accomodation but that was about it. I had specified I wanted an indoor cat so they did only show me indoor cats.

However as my knowledge of cats has grown it would seem this is a rather unusual set up and that often a home inspection will be arranged. I hope to be able to take on a new rescue cat in a month or two once I have grieved some more for my wee bor and hopefully stopped feeling so sad. I am just wondering what to expect with a home inspection or does this vary from place to place. My friend got her cat from the other well known rescue centre up here and again was not home inspected. Is that strange?

Most of the cats that come up for re-homing I have noticed through forums are usually located in the South oarea of England so my next cat is likely to be through another rescue centre - just wondering what to expect - any advice would be much appreciated. I live in a flat, a large flat with three bedrooms and two levels, but a flat never the less and I worry this may go against me!

:thanks:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Link to CatChat