Author Topic: Advice on trapping.  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Advice on trapping.
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 16:56:51 PM »
What kind of trap are you using? The easiest way is too remove the clear perspex from one end and let them build confidence that way.

If the barns secure then withold food for 12hrs and then load the active trap with fish. If the barn isnt secure then pick a time the hounds arent about so that if she pootles off for a while theres less risk.

Offline catconvert

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 22:30:51 PM »
Thanks pinkbear - I've been using the sardine trick to worm her - and it worked for that - strangely though, the stray, (now an indoor cat 24/7 :naughty:) won't look at them!! Might be cos I tried to worm her the same way, and she noticed! :sneaky:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 19:41:51 PM »
It is possible to set the wire ones so they won't spring when the cat goes in. Just hook the arm on to one of the wires in the door. It's a good way of getting 'trap shy' cats used to going in and out. But if she hasn't been trapped before, you shouldn't need to do that.

A sardine in tomato sauce is going to tempt her sooner of later.  ;)

Offline catconvert

• Kitten
Advice on trapping.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 18:22:33 PM »
 I have only used the rat box traps before, and I'm wondering if the cat traps are the same, or if you can set them not to go off, so that you can get the cat going in and out, and then be able to predict when you are going to catch them, by setting them to close on that day.  If not, how long does it usually take before a cat is trapped?   I am keeping the feral full of food, to keep her in the barn, as she was nearly killed by a pack of hounds yesterday, so she is not going to be hungry enough to go in a trap I fear.

Link to CatChat