Author Topic: CAN PURRS HELP.. 10y black, DHS, Kent Way, Maybe hyperthyroid, 1 wk before PTS  (Read 7828 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Brilliant news Sharon xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Well one hurdle gone  ;D

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
OKAY SOME GOOD NEWS!!
The vets at this place have managed to do all the test i asked for (FOC hopefully!)

She is neg for FELV and FIV and also nothing comes up on the thyroid... she is just a skinny senior puss that has come on bad times.. So thats really good news.. we just need to find her a space....

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 18:51:03 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I've just had an email off Mandy at CC and she has forwarded this plea to the 6 nearest rescues in the area in the hope that someone will take her in.

• Super Cat
I am doing my best to sort this one out.. But there was no way the vets where going to agree to do the thyroid test...As for FIV etc, well you are right, but there has been high instance of FIV in the area she was found, although she dosnt tick the boxes for possible FIV at all.. I really wanted to get the vets to do something for us seeing as they havnt given us much time to sort this out. If she proved to be positive that wouldnt mean we wouldnt help. although FELV would be another matter. 

We "MAY" be able to take her in ourselves at the end of the week, but it so depends if one person rehomes a cat.. I am also onto HQ CP to see if they have room...

Thanks for all the offers of help, it is much appreciated.. But our main problem is space...we just dont have room at the present time..

Anyhows, will keep people posted.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 15:07:31 PM by canterbury_cats »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I agree, a thyroid test would be the option I would take over the FIV/FeLV unless there was a reason that you felt she needed to be tested.  I only test mine or any I get in if they are ill and there's no other explanation, or if they are older toms and unneutered, other than that I don't bother.  The other thing that would need to be discussed with the vets, if she test positive, will they put her to sleep.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
If they do the FIV/FeLV test, it may be worth getting the thyroid test done at the same time.  It's less stress for her and at least you'll know.  I don't mind paying a little towards it but it won't be much sorry.

Sharon can you cancell the FIV/FeLV test and just have the Thyroid test instead ?

I really dont see the point in having her tested for FIV, if positive and then taken to a rescue centre she will have to have an indoor life which is so unfair as she is highly unlikely to pass the virus on anyway.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
If they do the FIV/FeLV test, it may be worth getting the thyroid test done at the same time.  It's less stress for her and at least you'll know.  I don't mind paying a little towards it but it won't be much sorry.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: CAN PURRS HELP? 10+yr DSH. Kent, poss hyperthyroid, 1wk before PTS.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 12:08:22 PM »
Through devious means we have pushed the vets to do a FIV and FELV test

I wouldnt have bothered, i would have pushed for the thyroid blood test instead

Michelle as regard to Foal i readlly dont want to push my luck with Foal they have been superb with FIVs from this way this year and i see they do have a diabetic cat in their care. So its seems abit much to ask them as well.  We have contacted Bredhurst locally and they are full.. I have contacted BSU at CP to see if they can find some room somewhere as well...

Its all down to space, and being nr Christmas rehoming goes quiet... She cannot stay at the vets for a month or more! 

But that is what Foal is for Sharon  :evillaugh:
Well if you cant find a place for her let me know and i will give Debbie a text but dont leave it too close to xmas

• Super Cat
Re: CAN PURRS HELP? 10+yr DSH. Kent, poss hyperthyroid, 1wk before PTS.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »
Through devious means we have pushed the vets to do a FIV and FELV test (which i hope they will do but not 100 percent guaranteed) But we are still bursting and have no room. We do have a vet that would be wiling to admit her and treat, but we still dont have any room to take her... She does sound a classic thyroid case and i am not very happy that the vets in this case havnt at least substanuated that is is positively thyroid problem.. It seems as though they want do a thing unless they are being paid for it... However the vet nurses seem really very nice and are trying their best.

Puss is probably abit older then 10yrs...

Michelle as regard to Foal i readlly dont want to push my luck with Foal they have been superb with FIVs from this way this year and i see they do have a diabetic cat in their care. So its seems abit much to ask them as well.  We have contacted Bredhurst locally and they are full.. I have contacted BSU at CP to see if they can find some room somewhere as well...

Its all down to space, and being nr Christmas rehoming goes quiet... She cannot stay at the vets for a month or more! 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:32:06 AM by canterbury_cats »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I think you're right Ela, Star and Amber who came to me as a pair are not each others biggest fans but co-exist well enough and although it has taken over a year can now even sleep on the same sofa from time to time

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Unfortunately I can't see my Jumpy accepting another cat or she'd be coming here.

It is surprising how given time, patience and introduced properly,  worst case scenario they learn to tolerate each other.
 ;D

Only once in about 18 yrs and thousands of cats has a cat needed to come back because they just did not get on with the resident cat or it may have been vise-versa
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:17:42 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Sharon do you want me to speak to Foal ?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Every now and again one comes along that tugs at you. Wee Fern's descriptions sound like a dead ringer for my Tilly who went missing and has still not returned.  :(  Unfortunately I can't see my Jumpy accepting another cat or she'd be coming here.  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
 :wish: :wish: :wish:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Plea sent, if I hear anything, I'll give you a shout  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Not sure if its allowed to post this but a mod will remove if its not.

Tel 01303 248501

I reckon that's OK as it is a business not a home number  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Thanks, I'll send a plea out and see what happens, xxx

• Super Cat
Not sure if its allowed to post this but a mod will remove if its not.

Tel 01303 248501
Been speaking to Leah..

I as seeing what involvement we can do, we do have some very understanding vets this way, but again space is a problem

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
I'll put a plea out for you if you want, leave it with me  :hug:  Have you got a contact number for the vets?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 15:20:20 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

• Super Cat
CAN PURRS HELP.. 10y black, DHS, Kent Way, Maybe hyperthyroid, 1 wk before PTS
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 15:11:23 PM »
Hello all
Some of you will remember Paddy an FIV that nobody could take and looked like being PTS. Well through the Purrs forum and lots of help from people we got him to Foal where he was successfully rehomed 2wks ago.. A happy ending.

Well although we dont cover the FOlkestone area( and if we did we would be completely skint, having enough to deal with here), and the Folkestone CP are completely full (although that dosnt stop just about every vet int he area calling us when they are in need)i thought i may be able to post something here.

Fern is 10yrs old (maybe older) found as a stray 2 wks or so in the Folkestone area (no ID). She is black, spayed, a real fuss pot loves people, loves company and is just very affectionate.. She is eating and drinking okay but vets reckon she may be hyperthyroid, they havent tested this yet though. She hasnt been tested for nasty cat diseases or vac either.

Vets are trying to find where she can go and i think the practice manager at this vets isnt that good at helping strays and perhaps losing a few bob just to get a cat sorted. But then thats my view. the nurses their seem very caring.

She has been with them for 2wks already and will keep for another week or so..

As for our branch we are bursting again, with 2 strays a preg mum and kitten due in. We have Cleo our diabetic puss and also Alice to consider as well..

I would love to help, but the reality is that we just cannot make space up here...

I would also like to get her tests done  to confirm one way or another, but i am not in charge and also we have some huge vets bills this year.. it would also show that we would be able to accomodate her but at the moment we cannot...

Any thoughts, idea to help with this puss.

She is at Anna House vets in Folkestone, Kent.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 15:17:53 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat