Author Topic: Introducing rosie and ruby my new 15 week old kittens  (Read 2540 times)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Re: Introducing rosie and ruby my new 15 week old kittens
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 06:23:08 AM »
You can resent my comment as much as you like, I was just trying to point out that sometimes some comments come across as rude.

Not that they're meant to be rude, tone doesn't come across well in text.

We all want what's best for animals.

Offline lau200

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Moustache, the Flick and Hairy Pants!
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 00:03:54 AM »
it's only £50 for complete course at my vets, might be worth ringing around to see if you can get a better deal. also some microchips come with 4 weeks free insurance if that helps at all? do you have a pets at home store near you at all because i hear they do some great deals at their vets. can you put your kittens some where away from the other cats just incase? with my kittens, i worry how the older cats will treat them but i also worry about upsetting the adults too. our Lexie has ibs which goes worse with stress so we like everything to be as relaxed as possible.

they are extremerly cute. i wouldn't worry about sowfee too much, she sounds abit scared and she should settle down when she realizes these are new play mates for her :)

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 20:44:16 PM »
Sabrina, I resent that comment. No one is being "rude". This is not the school playground or a lovely lovely tea party. Its a rescue dedicated to cat rescue and people care about the welfare and wellbeing of cats. We are just trying to give honest and responsible advice. Sorry if we did not "fluff it up" and make it sound all nice. Plus it is difficult to advise someone of the same thing "nicely" when you have to keep saying it over and over.

Saffy, who is rich? I'm certainly not! But before I got any of my pets I made sure I could afford the basics (neutering, vaccinating, worming, flea treatment etc) plus insurance to cover any serious emergencies. I made a conscious decision to get two of my cats, my third cat and my dog were kind of lumbered on me when "friends" could no longer keep them BUT they still receive the same care as the two I actively sought. You specifically wanted another cat or two and made that conscious decision. Part of that decision making process, as a responsible pet owner, should have taken into account finances to cover the initial and necessary health checks, vaccinations etc.

Heaven forbid, if your kittens got ill now because of not being vaccinated. You are saying you can't afford to get them vaccinated right now so how would you pay for emergency vet treatment.

Just think about it.

Your a grown woman so let's not start pointing the bullying stick like we are all at school
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 19:34:09 PM »
They are completely adorable!

I hope to see more pictures, but sadly unlikely as people as usual instead of being helpful come off being rude.

Still, they do have valid points just not all of them can get it across in a nice fashion.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 17:52:42 PM »
Sassy, our primary concern is for the welfare of cats, it says right up there on the banner that this site exists to support UK cat rescues, who are under immense pressure at the moment.

You mentioned their coats were in poor condition and that the lady you bought them from didn't have them vaccinated as she wasn't keeping them. This is what suggested to me they possibly hadn't had the best start and that if someone couldn't be bothered to have them vaccinated when needed then what else have they possibly been lax about?

We will always, without question discourage people from buying instead of adopting as this is one the contributing factors to the overstretched rescue situation. Buying encourages back street breeders and for people to see animals as a disposable commodity to be got rid of when the novelty wears off.

Of course we will mention the considerations that must be taken when taking on a new pet, they do cost money if they are to be cared for properly, there is no getting around that and pointing out that this has possibly been an oversight is stating a fact, no-one said anything about your personal finances but if you can't afford the basic necessities (which vaccinations, all of them, in my opinion are) then you have to think of the welfare of that animal and think whether you are really doing the best for them.

I say this as someone who is extremely financially restricted, I'm a student at the moment, seriously struggling and I know if I had the space I'd love to take on more cats but I am fully aware it would not be in their best interests as I couldn't guarantee them everything they may need, emergency vet treatment included, not just the basics.

This is not a lecture but an explanation of where I am coming from. This is a friendly site but we will always always put the needs of cats first and do our best to educate (not condescend) everyone, including ourselves.

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 16:25:15 PM »
oh Sassy I'm new here so can only comment so far on what i see.
as far as i know this site is to help cats and kittens in need of rehoming. Its a great problem morally wise, I think. I cant bring myself to pay for a ktten off an irresponsible pet owner whos just letting their cat get pregnant without care or concern. I will rehouse a kitten but not pay for responsibilty i am taking on because they refuse to keep the kittens themselves. I would however gladly pay a larger sum to a rescue, knowing the care responsible care and expensive they have undertaken.
Of course i would be tempted in by the advertisment of those beautifull kittens you have so may be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" so to speak when i know that i shouldnt be tempted by those kittens when the mom is probably going to remain un neautered and have more very pretty kittens yet again.
the fact is if you werent offering them a home then someone less caring may give them a bad home is also another consideration-
im sure that people are giving the best advice re vacs- unfortunately all the cats may be capable of passing something either way so im hoping that doesnt happen for everyones sake.
I dont mean this as a lecture- your kittens are true beautys and would melt anyones hearts- its just a shame for the less stunning little kittens that end up left or abandoned as they have not been bought and rehomed like the owners thought would happen.
If the vacs are costly for you btw can you not look at a vets that offers subsidised fees or may let you pay weekly or something if they exist?
I really dont mean to mean this as a have a go at Saffy post- hopefully if you sit back a little and think about what people have said you may see they dont mean to be down on you so much, they just speak out of concern and knowledge of how cats spead diseases amongst themselves :hug:

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: saffy, smokey, sowfee, sooty sweepy
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2011, 15:50:28 PM »
wow don,t lecture me, i thought this was a freindly pet site, not a nagging site. Ill leave you rich and perfect cat carers too it

quote !!!he cost of vaccinations should have been considered when you were thinking of getting the kittens. !!!!!!!

qoute !!!You know, if you had gone to a rescue all their innoculations (and neutering or at least a voucher) would have been included in the adoption fee, which on average is about £50 per cat  Would have worked out less overall and you would have been supporting the work of a local rescue.!!!!

quote "" Do you not think it would be wise to keep these kittens separate for a few weeks until vaccinated and vet checked? From what you've said they haven't come from the best of backgrounds and they could therefore be carrying anything.!!

i never said anything about these kittens coming from a bad background, is you lot making assumpstions up. this is obviously a resuce only society,

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2011, 15:27:37 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 15:23:30 PM »
They are beautiful kittens. I love their colours.  :Luv:
I would also keep them apart from the others till they both settle and are sorted with their jabs. At our vets you don't pay till after the second lot of jabs so you could take them in and say you will pay after the final jabs. Sometimes vets do a new kitten package which includes the chip as well. The Pets@home vets do that. Shop around for the best deal and don't be afraid to ask for a discount for the two of them.
Our local RSPCA charged £85 each for our kittens including full vaccinations - all of them, chipping, 4 weeks insurance, a worm and a flea treatment in hand plus neutering at their clinic which I found very good 'value' and made an extra donation too.
Once they are settled you can start introducing them to the others slowly and carefully. I'd do some blanket swapping beforehand once they are vaccinated. We did this with our dog and though they hissed and growled at first they are now fine together.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 14:06:21 PM »
Sassy, the concern is that the kittens are currently unprotected from any nasties. Your existing cats could be carrying anything or could bring something in from outside. Even us humans can bring some strains of cat flu in with us from outside. Letting the kittens mix with your existing cats is putting their health at risk and because they are so young they are more suceptable to catching nasties and it will also be harder for them to fight anything off.

They will be checked over by a vet when they go in for their jabs but you really need to get them in ASAP.

The cost of vaccinations should have been considered when you were thinking of getting the kittens.
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 13:01:42 PM »
Its not the older cats objecting to the youngsters, its the youngsters objecting to the other cats. They are naturally keeping them selves separate at the moment, and last night the 2 new kittens slept in the kitchen on a cushion, whilst my household 5 came upstairs to bed as usuall. Im going to be getting them inoculated within the next cuople of weeks, the fee aparently includes a consultation fee, so i think they will be checked over then. ive got 2 left over pippetts of front line for flees, as i recently did the 5 other cats, and ive got 4 pippetes of worm drops in any way, so ill be de fleeing them today, and then de worming, but not at the same time, it might be too toxic, so its just the jabs, that will be to follow.  ;D

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 21:52:58 PM »
I think it's very early days to be judging how well the cats are taking to the youngsters. Are the little ones going for an MOT to ensure they don't have any nasties they can pass on? (Not judging, just think it's wise to be safe. ;))

They're lovely.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 21:37:26 PM »
Have to say they should be seperate as they will need deflead and wormed and your adult cats may be harbouring some nasties or vice versa

Isolation should always be done till you know that there is no problem with cross contamination

I have 51 cats and 3 kittens living here all injected, de flead, de wormed and ID chipped and any newbies spend 4 weeks in the isolation wing of the house before we even think of mixing :shocked:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 21:57:00 PM by Liz »
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 20:20:31 PM »
Do you not think it would be wise to keep these kittens separate for a few weeks until vaccinated and vet checked? From what you've said they haven't come from the best of backgrounds and they could therefore be carrying anything.

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 20:17:47 PM »
Oh dear, all the cats are walking on egg shells around the house, lots of grwls and hisses, and to be honest its mostly from rosie and ruby, the older cats just want to go up and sniff them, but sowfee my other 5 month old kitten is hissing and running away. oh what fun, i always get slightly panicked at this stage . the introducing new cats to the household stage, but it usually always works out given time  :doh:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 19:03:07 PM »
they are beautifull girls :Luv2:

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 17:21:31 PM »
Oh and 15 weeks is old enough for vaccinations ;) First lot at about 9 weeks, second lot 2 or 3 weeks later I think it is.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 17:14:03 PM »
You know, if you had gone to a rescue all their innoculations (and neutering or at least a voucher) would have been included in the adoption fee, which on average is about £50 per cat :shy: Would have worked out less overall and you would have been supporting the work of a local rescue.

But that's by the by now that you've been and "bought" the kittens. They are gorgeous.

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 16:40:15 PM »
oh i see what you mean, well we took that into account when offering some money for them, because they need inoculating worming and fleeing, and neutering when they are a bit older we paid £40 for them both.

I rang the vet today to see how much it cost for the first and second jab, and was qouted £40.50  per cat ,it seems quite a lot, but thats only for cat flu and enteritis, if i wanted protection against leukemia as wel, it would have been £78 per cat. Well i can,t afford that, so ill be getting the cheepest innoculation. I could have gone to the pdsa in kirkdale liverpool, they were only charging £30.50, but by the time ive paid petrol to get ther, and a donation, and tunnel fee, it wouldnt have worked out any cheeper. Its a pity i couldnt find a vet on the wirral who would just charge for the innoculation, and not a consultation fee as well.

Fortunatly i qualify for the grey voucher scheme for neutering so thats not too bad.

But if they were inoculated i would have paid more for them, so its as broad as its long really. The lady i brought them of, said she didnt bother, because she was,nt keeping them.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 16:20:32 PM »
I know but just adds to your costs rather than the person they came from that is all  ;)

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 16:19:38 PM »
ther only 15 weeks old, thats not old for vaccinations. I think its better to do it when you can, instead of not atall

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 16:08:10 PM »
very cute, shame they haven't had vaccinations though at that age

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 16:03:15 PM »
gorgeous kittens
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 14:56:56 PM »
Yes just moggies but very beautiful ones...............a comb with two length teeth is better than a brush, which will just touch the top of the fur and introdice loads of static.

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 14:52:11 PM »
they need worming , de fleeing and inoculating, they were last wormed and fleed at 8 weeks. there fur is like wool.Ill have to invest in a cat brush. I think they are ordinary moggies, but rosie has a ragdoll look about her, and her paws are huge for 15 weeks.

sassy x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 14:41:24 PM »
My goodness they are gorgeous and just love dilute torties  ;D ;D

Offline sassybutterfly

• Adult Cat
Introducing rosie and ruby my new 15 week old kittens
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 14:32:51 PM »
Well hubby got me two sweet kittens for my birthday rosie and ruby. They are just exploring, and all the cats are having a sniff growl at each other. I sprayed my hands with feliway, and i must have some open skin on them it stings, doesnt seem to be de stressing the situation at the moment, but its only been an hour..

dont know how to make pics bigger on here.

sassy x
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 14:34:11 PM by sassybutterfly »

Link to CatChat