Author Topic: Sweep  (Read 1694 times)

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
Re: Sweep
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 23:04:16 PM »
Thanks for the lovely comments; I've been quite poorly so this thread is a bit of self-indulgence therapy for me  :)
Sweep is probably a black cat sort of name, but we couldn't call her anything else after we were told what she'd been up to since coming into the shelter: the staff had put a sort of plastic small animal playhouse (like an open-fronted dolls house) into the pen for them, and Sweep - being half the size of her littermates - had managed to climb inside the chimney.  She was completely wedged in there and they had to saw the thing to pieces to get her out...
She is far more sensible these days, apart from her propensity for getting herself locked inside various neighbours' sheds  :innocent:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 20:08:39 PM »
She is just  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 18:45:52 PM »
She's beautiful  :Luv: Sorry to hear about her sister  :hug: I don't know why but I imagined you to have a black cat!

Online CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 18:22:36 PM »
So sad about Parsley but Sweep is gorgeous.  :Luv2:   I used to have a dark tortie who was also a retriever.  She would bring home any wild
creature that she could find, but ever so gently - she never harmed them.  I don't think she actually hunted - she literally found them, they were generally too young to have left their mother and sadly if we coudn't reunite them with mum they invariably died.  :(

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 15:33:56 PM »
Awww that's a lovely story, so sad about Parsley though.

I have recently learnt about the joys of ferals after rescuing a family from behind a hotel/restaurant last year. I trapped, neutered and released the two adults onto a local farm and have been taming the two kittens, Tyson and TT. I've had them since the beginning of November and they are almost starting to act like normal kittens around me now. They are scared of others and I've yet to bring them in the house but that is going to be the next stage of their taming. Eventually I will rehome them, honest ;)
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 14:51:57 PM »
And the last...

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 14:50:00 PM »
Some more...

Offline sweepster

• Adult Cat
Sweep
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 14:47:49 PM »
Sweep was the runt of a feral litter of seven 12 week-old kittens in the RSPCA shelter.  The card on their pen described them as 'semi-wild' - in other words, they had learned to use a litter tray but did not yet understand what humans were for  :-:  If approached they bolted or squished themselves together in a big terrified pile; if picked up they hissed and hissed, but never lashed out.  We brought Sweep and her sister Parsley home.  A few days later Parsley managed to burst out of the kitten carrier in the street right opposite the vet's, and shot off into someone's garden.  Although this was very close to where we live, and the gardens all back onto one another, we never managed to find her.  Six months later we got a phone call from the vet surgery; Parsley had been taken there after being run over and killed by a car on our own street (she was microchipped).

Tiny little Sweep had become very precious to me through all the guilt and sadness of losing Parsley.  She took a few weeks to decide that humans were actually quite useful at opening cat food, and were even quite warm and soft to sleep on.  She was a retriever kitten, and whatever she found around the house would be dropped onto my lap for me to play fetch with her.  Foam earplugs were the favourite, but balls of foil, pen tops or a screwed up passport photograph of my OH would do as well.  She outgrew this game after being spayed and starting to go outside, when she discovered the existence of frogs  :innocent:

I have now become accustomed to seeing abandoned frogs hop out from under the sofa or behind the tv.  The only other things she is adept at 'catching' are the apples which fall from next door's tree; every autumn she brings home every one she finds and drops it on the kitchen floor.  Her only remaining 'feral' trait is a fear of strangers in the house - when she hears the doorbell she growls and hides under the bed - but she gradually became firm friends with two of the neighbours in their gardens, to the extent that one considers Sweep to be 'half hers'  :shify: 

Sweep will be five years old this May, and she is a funny, quirky delight  :Luv:

Link to CatChat