Author Topic: Tinned meat vs Pouches?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Tinned meat vs Pouches?
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 21:40:13 PM »
I'm a bit wary about cans after reading that the lining used in some types of cans has been linked with thyroid problems in cats.  I do still use some cans though - applaws comes in cans and I sometimes feed animonda which also comes in cans.  I use mostly pouches though as they are most common and are convenient single serve sizes.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 19:13:56 PM »
Although i have 6 i still prefer pouches. This morning a 400g tin was put down between them and i still chucked some away! Taz did his best but had to retire  :evillaugh:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 08:41:50 AM »
Rosie will only eat pouches, I have tried her on the same make (Felix, Tesco etc) but tinned and she won't eat it.  If it's from a puch she'll guzzle it down, no problems!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 08:32:36 AM »
The fosters get tins, my two get a mix of pouches and the small tins of HiLife, I went off large tins years ago, as Ginger and PEbbles wouldnt eat the same food, and Ginger couldnt' get through a big tin on his own. And now it is easier, as Molly eats upstairs and Tiger eats downstairs!! Never thought of the salt content, might have to go and have a check of the food in the house. Hippy - meat and moisture wise, Asda Tiger are the same as Whiskas - Snowy had Asda Tiger food and it didn't affect her liver issue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:27:57 AM »
I don't like the expense of pouches. Having two cats means I can feed an entire can in one go. They're pigs!

The only pouches I've liked, pricewise, are the Asda Tiger range. But I'm not sure about the nutritional content. I've a sneaky feeling that the pouches have more salt in them. Might be worth comparing this in the shop. Too much salt isn't good for cats, as it can lead to kidney/urinary problems.

My two live on Whiskas Supermeat. In their old age they'll only eat the chicken. They give me dirty looks if I try them with other flavours!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 16:04:39 PM »
You could get a laser toy for him, most cats go mental for them. A reduction in food + more exercise should do him good.
Unless the reason he is on steroids would stop him from getting too excited. Dont want to bump him off!  :doh:

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 15:02:22 PM »
I give mine pouches, they will not eat from cans, only Gourmet gold.  :shy:

I think pouches are fresher than the average can of whiskers, although you can get cans of Sheeba etc which are just as moist as pouches. Mine love the Gourmet pearl and have that every day now plus whiskers, but they wont eat the normal type it has to be the oh so meaty/ fishy of the felix as good as it looks.  :shy:

I have a cat on steroids and although he is first there to be fed, he's been the same weight for years, he's quite slim.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 14:54:05 PM »
Mine get pouched food for the simple reason that when I used to give tinned Mogs would only eat it once and not the same food later in the day and Amber wouldnt touch it so I threw so much away it was cheaper to get pouched food.
love
Tab

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 13:34:44 PM »
My boy Max will defo recommend the Natures Menu pouches, and they are 70% meat, which is a much higher meat content than some of the other brands, and he says they're yummy ...... although he does eat most things so I would take that with a pinch of salt  :rofl:

Very good value though at £13 for 48 pouches as Ems just said  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 12:58:06 PM »
Funny enough I have just posed there too lol

www.petplanet.co.uk are doing an offer on whiskas pouches 4 boxes for £10 I have purchased 8 boxes :shy:  but will get some more next week if the offer is still on  :sneaky:

Don't you just love bargains?  8)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 12:51:38 PM »
Hi Welshigirl,

Not sure about the quality question (somebody else will know!)

But in terms of prices etc, shop around and check on our Bargains section, as we are all looking for bargains, so we post 'em when we spot 'em!

For example PAH have whiskas 24 pouches on But One get One Half Price at the min, so it works out at about £10 for 48.

I think the Natures Menu is good value from PAH at £13 for 48 but 1 of mine won't touch and my other girl is so greedy she would eat 2 lots if they got different food. 

Also mine prefer whiskas to felix but that could just be temporary!

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
Tinned meat vs Pouches?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »
I have recently been buying pouches for my cats as my 10 year old is on steroids and needs to reduce his weight and a pouch portion I thaught was the best way to go about it rather than giving them half a tin together as he would always eat more than Ging anyway and quicker,now they have a pouch each.

I was wondering if they are better than tinned meat?  and what are the best pouches to buy out there because I want to give my babies the best I can offer (within my budget of course) at the moment I buy either felix or whiskas pouches in gravy and jelly for variety.
Love me,love my animals.

Link to CatChat