Author Topic: urgent advice needed  (Read 1608 times)

Offline arttilly34

• Kitten
  • Slave to: elmo / ollie
Re: urgent advice needed
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 20:54:28 PM »
Hi
cheers for your replys, we think she is about 8 weeks old, I do seperate them when i out or at night. the kitten has been to the vets has she had ear mites, the vet has treated kitten and also checked the older cat who is all clear. The little one is a very poor eater she wont eat dry food and eats small amounts of felix approx every 2 hours. but she is really fussy what flavour she eats one day she wont eat the next, have you any suggestions on what i could feed he to help her gain weight
 :thanks:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
This thread gives more info....

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,35120.msg623442.html#msg623442

I agree with Blackcat and, if it's not possible to keep them separate, would aim if possible to only allow supervised meetings with your cat.  Well done for taking this little one on and hope she starts to put on weight and get stronger soon.  Unperfumed baby wipes are helpful with cleaning her until she learns to clean herself properly.  Good luck  :hug:

Our Dinah was very rough with her 2 kittens but I sincerely wish she would dish out some discipline to Groucho our latest as he is very naughty  :shify:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
You don't say how old the new kitten is. It would be best to keep it separate from your older cat for a while for two reasons - one being that you don't know where it has been or whether it carries any sicknesses it can pass onto your older cat. The other being, as you have already become aware, there is a risk to the younger kitten from boisterous play.

It would be best to take the kitten to your vet for a good checkover to ensure there are no illnesses that are contributing to its general weakness. But older and wiser heads than mine can give you more detailed advice on its care and maintenance.

From your description it sounds as if your older cat is taking on a fairly maternal role with the kitten (washing it and so forth) and this also includes disciplining it. That can look pretty rough to the uninitiated and can involve pinning the kitten down. But while the kitten is weak it is best to err on the side of caution.

Offline arttilly34

• Kitten
  • Slave to: elmo / ollie
urgent advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
Hi all
I recently rescued an abandoned kitten, I already own a 20 month old female cat who playes quite rough. On somedays she will clean the new kitten but on others she chases her and pins her to the floor and bites her. The new kitten is quite weak and underweight at the moment and very timid when the older cat is about. Is this behaviour normal when a new kitten is introduced to a home, im worried she is trying to hurt her or is she just playing rough.
thanks in advance for any advice
 :hug:

Link to CatChat