Author Topic: Terrifying article about ongoing anti-freeze deaths  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Terrifying article about ongoing anti-freeze deaths
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 19:07:44 PM »
Sasa loves birds!

She sits out all large white and fluffy in full view and thinks the feathered ones cant see her when she is so close to the feedind station  :rofl:

All my birds are streaming back for the food now its gone cold and even one very big fat bird who was sitting on the ground showed it was just tempting her to move before it flew  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 00:23:48 AM »
Having a rather large number who have outdoor access and my happy band of ferals I can say ours rarely catch birds but we do have a lot of moles, voles, mice, rats and rabbits - all vermin in the country and we have had the odd Pheasant and they did try with the Peacocks but missed

Its just a shame they can't see some of our set ups to prove doubting thomas's wrong

We have loads of birds, deer, the odd badger, foxes and owls and other birds of prey and all live happily with the cats ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 22:45:05 PM »
This was discussed on the Jeremy Vine prog on Radio 2 today. Some stupid woman came on and almost said whoever was doing it may well be justified  >:( - her reasoning? once upon a time she had a lovely garden and lots of birds visited it - then the next door neighbours had the audacity to 'let loose' 3 kittens, now her garden is full of cat mess and the birds have gone and they won't come back (she says)!! Funny that, I was listening to her and looking out into my garden - two of my 11 cats were sitting out in the sun - my silver birch tree was full of birds totally unconcerned about the cats and the cats were totally disinterested in them.

Its complete rubbish that if you have cats you won't get birds in the garden, I've had cats for over 30 years and gardens for nearly as long - always planted my gardens to attract birds and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of birds that my cats have actually caught over those years.

I don't think the piece on the radio was being taken seriously either, it was like a 10 minute slot just before the next prog came on.  >:(

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 18:06:35 PM »
Selfish? Humans cause more death of wildlife and destruction of habitats than any animal, if anything should be classed as vermin, it's us.

Not to mention, we're the species that chose to domesticate cats and then allow them to procreate until the amount needing homes spiralled out of control.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 16:05:22 PM »
I can't believe some of the comments.

"But I will say this, because of the problems they can cause it would be responsible for cat lovers to limit their homes to one cat. The lady in question has three. This is pretty selfish on her neighbours with nice gardens who do not wish for armies of cats visiting them day and night."

Selfish? Humans cause more death of wildlife and destruction of habitats than any animal, if anything should be classed as vermin, it's us.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 16:05:07 PM »
This is just awful, and I agree, I'm glad my boy doesn't have access to what is becoming a horrible outside world  :'(

but the best one was a woman who came over and said the cats were always messing up her garden (so far so usual comment) and that you caught leukaemia from cats  :Crazy: I of course said no you don't and she came back round the corner just to emphasise yes you do  :Crazy: Honestly with ignorance like that what chance do we stand  :(

Oh good grief, what a stupid, stupid woman  :Crazy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 15:25:58 PM »
This is one of the things that makes me glad mine are indoors.

It's always nice (not) to see so many people more concerned about their gardens than a living creature  :censored: and I am so sick of the figures being quoted about how much wildlife cats kill. Far more birds and wildlife are killed by things that people do, such as pollution, traffic etc. There are at least 3 cats that wander around where I live and they often come into my garden but strangely enough I still have loads of birds visiting me for food.

When we did a recent fundraiser in a local shopping centre we got quite a few people coming over to our stand just to tell us how much they hated cats  >:( but the best one was a woman who came over and said the cats were always messing up her garden (so far so usual comment) and that you caught leukaemia from cats  :Crazy: I of course said no you don't and she came back round the corner just to emphasise yes you do  :Crazy: Honestly with ignorance like that what chance do we stand  :(

I do wish they would just add the bitterant and it would stop this happening.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 14:23:48 PM »
There does seem to be a backlash against cats at the moment and this will add fuel to it.
Just had a woman phone whose neighbours are threatening to kidnap and dump her cats (she had 14 but CP have just taken the 3 kittens away). told her to contact police who will not doubt tell her to speak to the RSPCA......
As there as so many cats around, people are now treating them as vermin.

I am beginning to think our losing battle is lost. :'(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 14:18:01 PM »
This is just one of the reasons Memphis is staying indoors. I don't care if people think it is cruel or I'm denying him things. At least he's not going to get poisoned my some horrible psycho person. I don't know if it is me but stories like these seems to be getting more and more frequent  :( :( The problem is that each time "they don't know who it is" so anyone who has been thinking about doing this is likely to be spurred into doing it because chances are they will get away with it  :( :(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 14:13:10 PM »
Thats terrible and to think I was looking in Bridgwater as a possible place to live 6 years ago.

Adding the bitterant is such a simple and good idea, I dont know why the companies refuse to do it.

Link to CatChat