Author Topic: COLLAR MESSAGE I RECEIVED TODAY  (Read 6843 times)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: COLLAR MESSAGE I RECEIVED TODAY
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2007, 19:45:36 PM »
Maybe I'm being a bit dim here, but does anyone know whether all local authorities and rescue centres have microchip scanners for when they pick up straying and dead kitties? 

Mine doesn't and I know that the issue has been discussed with them with local shelters, they don't have the time or resources, and would need several anyhow. Giving them their due, my council does keep a list online of those found with ( albeit brief ) descriptions of looks and location.

Back when I was stupid, many years ago, and my cats wore collars

Bit insulting to people that allow their cats to wear breakaway collars don't you think?

Yep probably, but just how I feel about my actions in the past. Each to their own as always.

I find Elas post about collars and strays extremely interesting.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2007, 19:40:58 PM »
It's a tough subject and I understand the reactions on this thread. If I had similar experiences to Ela it would doubtless  influence my judgement too.

All our cats all wear collars. However, I check them each week for proper fit and to look for wear and tear on any signs of claw marks, which might indicate that they have been caught up. I should add that my cats cannot roam freely and have a large compound in the garden to roam around and run in.

The real problem is ignorance - the public in general and still many animal owners including some cat owners know nothing of microchipping. I find that staggering and utterly dissappointing and think it should be compulsory for all cats and dogs. Surprisingly, it is not only the elderly in my experience who know nothing about microchipping.

The large animal charities are still not doing enough to reach a wider audience. I do feel they should combine their efforts to spread the cost and reach out further to a wider public regardless of whether they have animals.

When I have been looking for missing cats and have reported sitings in response to personal posters or lamp post posters, I have lost count of the number of times that people have said that there is a wild or feral cat hanging round.  When I have investigated, people have made the incredible assumption that the cat is wild and has no home because it is not wearing a collar. Due to this quantum leap they have not intervened. Only the Lost Catposter makes them stop and think. It doesn't dawn on some to think that either the cat has lost the collar or never had one.

Until a majority of people think Is the cat chipped my cats will continue to wear collars. For what it is worth I prefer the velcro fitting collars as opposed to the snap fitting.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2007, 19:13:33 PM »
I second the 'how do we re-educate the population' - we haven't succeeded on the neutering issue yet, so not sure we stand a chance with this. And if I had to choose one to campaign about, I'm afraid it would be neutering.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2007, 18:40:03 PM »
Bit insulting to people that allow their cats to wear breakaway collars don't you think?
It wasn't me who put that, was it?

No Ela, it wasn't. :)

I think I've posted enough on this topic because I said at the beginning of the thread I didn't want to get drawn into a debate! ;D

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 17:07:08 PM »
Mine used to wear the breakaway safety collars.  Until I discovered that whenever they lost one, it had remained intact.  The collars weren't on too loose, I checked and checked again, so I can only assume that they got caught, but didn't actually 'breakaway'.  FAR too dangerous IMO, therefore collars were binned.  I suppose I'm lucky as I live in a very cat-friendly neighbourhood so if anything happened to any of mine it is most likely that the person finding them would get them scanned (that's if they didn't already know my babies by name and that they live with me!)

I'm totally with Ela on this one, I dread to think of the trouble any of mine might have got into if I hadn't thrown the collars out.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 20:31:44 PM by Tan »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 16:16:28 PM »
Rescues and vets would scan but some councils only do it for dogs because they have to.  >:(

but I do think that if I could be sure any of mine would definitely be reunited with me through their chip if they were missing or hit by a car, it would make me much more likely to bin the collars
You could never be certain of that with a collar either because a missing cat could easily loose it on the way!l

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2007, 15:56:26 PM »
Maybe I'm being a bit dim here, but does anyone know whether all local authorities and rescue centres have microchip scanners for when they pick up straying and dead kitties?  When Minnie went missing in the summer, she was chipped but had no collar, and I was advised by several people to call the council to ask them to keep an eye out for a body, as people seemed to think she wouldn't be scanned if she was found.  In the end I never contacted them as she turned up alive and well the day before refuse collection day - but I do think that if I could be sure any of mine would definitely be reunited with me through their chip if they were missing or hit by a car, it would make me much more likely to bin the collars.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2007, 13:29:16 PM »

I wasn't me who put that, was it?

I do agree it is a tragic incident, though

Unfortunately it is not a one off, I and I am sure others in rescue hear of such things often. The trouble is if I posted everything I hear I would have time for nothing else. I post only a very small amount of the cat problems we have to deal with constantly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 13:34:06 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »
The last visitor cat through my door in London had a collar and had been hanging around for ages and my neighbours fed her until they went on holiday, then she would just go and sit in the middle of the road.

She was in so much danger I encouraged her to come in and was lucky cos i made contact through someone else with a rescue group who came and collected her about midnight after they had finished their feral feeding.

She was so cute and new all about houses but trued to attack my cat although Kocka was sitting up on the computer chair.

I am sure she would have got a home quickly.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2007, 12:41:37 PM »
Back when I was stupid, many years ago, and my cats wore collars

I think what is needed is a re-education of the public rather than the cats.

I agree - but how would you re-educate the whole population to recognise this?

Sorry guys, things aren't always black and white. There are various reasons that people do the things they do when they care for an animal and sweeping generalisations are a bit insulting. I do agree it is a tragic incident, though.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »
Ela do you think the person who lost her pet in this tragic way might be willing to share the information of where it was purchased ?

I have cleared all my messages now so do not know how to contact her. But what I would say is that over the years the collars I have seen that have caused injury or death have been very varied e.g flea collars both rigid and those with the soft lining. Collars with elastic, so called safety collars including those that should snap open that should snap open. Just because we can snap one open does not necessarily mean a cat or something it gets caught on can or will. I think it is such a shame that some people have to have something terrible happen to their cat to believe what I and others on here who have seen the results of collars. If for one minute I though they could help save lives I would be one of the first to praise them. However, even 1 needless death or horrendous is  one too many. As mentioned in another post where someone posted;-
I also think they are a necessary evil. When mine start to go out they will be wearing collars, mainly so that people know instantly they are owned and if they do wander a bit too far someone will hopefully be able to ring me straight away without wondering for a few days whether they might be a stray etc
I replied :- In reality quite the opposite very often happens, because although when people see a cat with a collar on they automatically think it has an owner. Many of the cats we take in as strays do have a collar on and often have been noticed in an area perhaps for many months but because they have a collar people assume they have an owner so do not not look at the collar owner details. It is only when the cat seems to be scavenging for food, unwell or in  bad state that they pick it up and if no details of an owner are on a collar they may put a message on it. Only then when they do not receive any phone call do they think it is lost. Of course for some of them it is too late.

I find that often people respond much quicker to a strange cat in an area when it has no collar. I get more calls about cats without a collar on that  may have been in a location sometimes only a few hours. We either go and scan ourselves or ask the 'finder' to take the cat to the vets for scanning, very  often they are reunited with their owner very quickly.  If there is no chip and the cat is well we place a paper collar on with a message and if no call within 3 days put the cat on the list waiting to come in and arrange for its care until we can bring it in. Far better that roaming for weeks. months with a collar on and everyone thinking it has an owner
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:39:29 PM by Ela »

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
I think what needs to be done initially is a list kept of where the collars causing injury or danger have been bought.
Ela do you think the person who lost her pet in this tragic way might be willing to share the information of where it was purchased ?
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2007, 11:09:13 AM »
So sorry to hear about this little one.  It is terrible news and my thoughts are with the distraught owners.

It is one of those topics where there are more cons than pros for their use but yet a lot of people still use them.  Safety Collars or otherwise our own personal opinion is that cats should be micro chipped not collared.

Aside from the usual problems that arise as so many of you have already mentioned we also come across those instances where the public put collars on kittens and 'forget' to check  them!!!!!  I only picked up a young thing the other day who had such a problem and the collar was so tight I was surprised he could even breathe properly!!!

I agree that a lot of folks use collars to show that their cat does belong to someone and is not a stray and as such we then worry in case they get caught up.  I think what is needed is a re-education of the public rather than the cats.  If people would stop their 'assuming' and trying to coax a cat to stay just because they like it and it wandered into their garden without a collar it would be half the battle!!!

J - Like the idea about a campaign... and just in time for xmas too!  ;)

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 10:53:34 AM »
if one was a person to do such a thing.

Seed planting  are we?   ;D

As if ( whistles ).

Why this has never got legal is beyond me.
Back when I was stupid, many years ago, and my cats wore collars, I too experienced the lower jaw caught in collar phenomena.
If I had experienced the horrific mind numbing soul destroying experience of finding my cat hanging by its ' safety collar ' I would absolutely take it legal. Trade descriptions act alone must cover this in some way. If I didn't have a tiny baby and if we weren't taking our house apart at the moment and putting it back together I might actually start some sort of campaign. A shouty noisy impolite sort of campaign.
It's great to educate people about this but money talks, and in this increasingly litigious society there must be a way of stopping these being sold or at least having to print warnings on packing.
There must be lawyers and solicitors somewhere who are fluff covered mental cat ladies who might assist. I may try to find them in the New Year when my house isn't upside down.
Iams - indeed.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2007, 19:18:09 PM »
And if one was such a person you could leave notes on bags of Iams so people know what murdering bastards they are  :evillaugh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 10:17:03 AM »
if one was a person to do such a thing.

Seed planting  are we?   ;D

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 09:36:46 AM »
Makes one tempted to print off such stories and information and fold them into small squares and put them on the collars one sees in supermarkets, if one was a person to do such a thing.
Of course such a person could also put similiar information notes into the plants coming into shops for Christmas that are deadly for cats and carry no warning.
If one was such a person.

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2007, 21:30:12 PM »
How sad. Years ago when I was a kid my cat got his leg caught through his collar, we were away and the person feeding the cats didn't realise it was only one cat she ever saw (very similar brothers). Our neighbour got him to the vet in time, but he was always nervous afterwards.

That poor, poor cat.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2007, 20:02:29 PM »
oh my goodness - poor poor cat.

None of my 11 wear collars, all mirco-chipped

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 19:55:07 PM »
So sorry about this Ela.  I have to say I do have collars on all of my three but I have real dilemmas about it.  My Tilly was hit by a car two years ago and I knew about it within 10 minutes of it happening as a passer-by saw she had a collar on and rang my number from her tag.  I don't know how long it would have taken for someone to take her to be scanned if she hadn't got a collar. My brother's cat was chipped but had no collar and was dead at the roadside for about a week before they found him by chance. Minnie didn't have a collar when I first had her, and this led to a neighbour I didn't know "taking her in" as she thought she was homeless.  It's a really difficult one.

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 19:50:37 PM »
non of mine have collars only two go outdoors I have heard of the problems they cause. so sorry for your loss RIP little one.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 19:21:31 PM »
I have just seen Elas post on CC and was gonna cross post it but no need now.

Such a terrible story and admit that when Kocka first arrived she wore a collar but for no particular reason I decided I wasnt happy with her wearing one and took it off..............it wasnt until one the collar debates on CC that I heard about the injuries that could be caused.

All my 4 have chips, even Sasa and I would never use a collar again.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 14:50:38 PM »
Also, vets and rescues carry a chip reader so missing pets can be reunited quickly. Also sad but helpful,  RTA animals can be IDd so owners can be informed which is a great comfort and saves people wondering forever.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 14:43:50 PM »
Microchip whats that ? 

Microchipping your Cat is a proceedure where they insert a tiny m-chip under the skin at the scruff of the neck
the chip contains all contact detail's of owner , Name, House, Tel number etc,etc
So if your cat goes missing and has no Collar. the first thing authorities do is check for microchip using a scanner
kinda like buying stuff at Tesco's ..... Beep!!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 14:44:37 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 14:37:31 PM »
Thier are pros and cons to collars sadly mostly cons   Some pepole who see a cat without a collar think it must be a stray i have heard a few tales of this and cats going missing because of it Microchip whats that ?  :censored: :Crazy:   some pepole  :'(

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 13:22:31 PM »
 :( Thats awful

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 12:43:45 PM »
Poor thing.

All ours are microchipped now thankfully.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »
When this lady says safety collar, I'm asuming she means the elastic collars and not the breakaway type.

When I talk about the collar injuries I have had to deal with and state the cats had so called  safety collars on I include the breakaway type in this. Because as far as I am concerned they are supposed to be safely collars. I know people have said they have tried them and tried them and every time they breakaway, but there is a time when some fail and of course our way of breaking a collar and a cats may be very different.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 11:11:52 AM »
I don't want to get drawn into a debate - my cats wear breakaway collars solely so that people around here can tell immediately that they have a home!
RIP Little Aggy. :RIP:

Max has breakaway collar for this reason also, I think neighbours were feeding him because
A) he was new to the area
 B) sometimes he looks a bit bedraggled
C) he likes to go walkabout
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 11:03:31 AM »
When this lady says safety collar, I'm asuming she means the elastic collars and not the breakaway type. I agree with Ruth on this, I don't want to get drawn into a debate - my cats wear breakaway collars solely so that people around here can tell immediately that they have a home!

RIP Little Aggy. :RIP:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:09 AM »
would the collar have  been on too tight??

I have no idea, but even if loose this can and has caused cats deaths.

One time Hamish came into the house with His lower jaw trapped
under the collar

If I had a £1 for every time this happens I would be very rich. The sad thing is one a few occasions I have received calls from people who have seen a cat in that position or a arm caught and they have told me it has been like that for days and on occasions weeks. On one of the cats recently gangrene had set in, I have also had  the same in the past.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 10:50:03 AM by Ela »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:40:43 AM »
What a Horrible Situation  :( :( would the collar have  been on too tight??

When My Two used to go out, I alway's made sure that their's would slip off easy, (slip off over their head's)
and they were forever loosing them, but with all this talk on collars and the consequences of using them on
our furbabes, I have remembered there was One time Hamish came into the house with His lower jaw trapped
under the collar :( when I moved back to my own flat, I didnt put them on, and they hadent had collar's on
since 1995

oh Ela, what a sad Story :'( but people must be made aware !!

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
Do you know where Annette got the collar from?

I have no idea, what I do know is in the cases I have dealt with some of the collars have been the so called safely collars. Also as  I have posted preciously Cats Protection a few years had a collar designed that was supposed to be the bees knees, most people loved them until some cats sadly suffered due to the collar, so they were withdrawn.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »
Poor baby  :(
Our babes used to wear collars, then I read some threads on here (and know how crazy our cats are and how much trouble they get into!) so we switched to the Kitty Collars - now they are just "naked" as I don't trust any and they are indoor and chipped anyway.

They can sneak up on us now though with no little bell as a warning  :shify:

I know what you mean about the "designer" tatty collars you can buy in pet shops (even some clothes shops in christmas section) and places like PAH - its so sad to think of all the people who will buy them not knowing the risk  :( I have seen a photo of a really small kitten with a really huge (as in wide not loose) diamante collar on them - must have been so uncomfortable for the sake of "pet fashion"  :sick:

RIP poor poor kitty  :'(
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 09:08:12 AM »
RIP little one.

I try hard not to get into the collar debate. I see benefits to them and also the downside. Lexy doesn't wear one as she still wants to stay indoors ( I couldn't force her outdoors if I tried) but I know that if she were to venture out, I would ensure she wore the safety collar that sits in our toy box. Sadly not everyone thinks of microchips.   THis poor little mite, even a safety collar didn't help her.   

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 09:03:45 AM »
Hi Ela,

I'm so very sorry to hear your sad news. I've always been against collars for years since my mum's cat Suzie years ago got one of her front legs caught and came home like it. Thank heavens she was very lucky and didn't hurt herself.

Thinking of you all, play hard at the bridge little one.

:Luv:

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:28:19 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »
That reminds me, has anyone else noticed a surge in feline "bling" in the run up to Christmas? I've been doing a bit of early shopping and there seem to be a number of stores selling diamante collers which are soooo dangerous, they frighten the life out of me.

I know on here, most of us are expert cat-slaves but how does the everyday family who's kids want to spoil their kitties know the danger? If I were an unsuspecting pet-owner I'd think "it must be safe if they're allowed to sell it..." but we all know that's not true. There are no warnings on these things and they only have one fastening (i.e one size) They are elasticated and quite stretchy.

Sorry for rambling but these are really angering me this year!  >:(
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 08:55:14 AM »
I am just so sorry  and shocked to hear your news. Thinking about you all :hug: Be at peace little puss :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »
Poor cat must have gone through so much pain and torment  :'(

I will never out collars on mine. I have sometimes put one on Kylie during the day when fledglings are around but never again - I have heard too many terrible stories.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:51:15 AM »
Poor baby, I'm speachless,I don't know what to say RIP Aggy xxxx
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Link to CatChat