Author Topic: How did you come up with his/her name?  (Read 7043 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: How did you come up with his/her name?
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 15:51:53 PM »
so that's what happened to him!  my big sister took me to see them in about 1984 at the hammersmith odean!!!  I suppose I was about 12 and I can even remember what I was wearing!

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 15:44:11 PM »
Yes that right :rofl: Actually I have seen Limahl at Butlins and Archie is nothing like him so good job I changed the name :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 15:38:37 PM »
limahl like kagagoogoo!!!!!!!  lol

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 15:35:36 PM »
Archie was called Limahl by the animal shelter but it did not seem the right name. After a bit of thought Archie kept coming to mind as he was small and always in scrapes. ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 15:32:12 PM »
I have many names for my cats and you can probably guess why I call them, them  :evillaugh:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 14:09:01 PM »
Actually Ollie was called "Silvestro", Italian form of "Silvester" until he came to us.  I honestly didn't care for the name, neither of the 2 things that reminded me, the cartoon character, and Silvester Stallone were terribly appealing to me, it had to go at any cost.  He adjusted to Oliver right away, but he responds to his numerous nicknames all the same, honestly I think he responds to the tone of our voice, rather than the name itself... :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 14:10:22 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 14:02:12 PM »
All my 3 had there names when i got them
Kitty came from venture farm was 10 months old and had been called kitty all her life and answered to it very well
Tiggy and pippin had there names when i got them from CP and couldnt think of anything to change them 2  :rofl:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 12:49:11 PM »
Lirael - Garth Nix book that was on our bookcase (she was almost called Havoc)

Smoke my husband named cause of her grey colouring.

Penguin came with the name and answered to it.

Harley because she sounded like the motor bike the first time she purred.

Quinn because it's a comic book character Harley Quinn so I stole the last part ;)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »
I thinl OH came up with the name Mango (originally wanted Mongo but I said NOOOOOOOO!!!!) and when we got the next kitten we thought "what goes with Mango?"

The other options were Papaya, Lychee? Banana (ha ha) and we settled on Chutney (also we kind of like Indian food!) :evillaugh:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:10:31 PM »
LOL, never thought of that but I don't think that the science of animal behaviour was so well advanced back in MCMLIX when I was born :) :)

I'm also very fond of "Anglo-Saxon" names, both my first and last names are "Anglo-Saxon" in origin, kind of gives one "roots".

Regards

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeigh
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 12:17:38 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »
Frankie was called Frank and I added the "ie" as all of my cats have had an "E" sound at the end of their names as I read many years ago that they respond better to the higher pitched "e" sound. In the past my bridge babes also had names ending in the "e" sound,  my lovelly Oliver became "Ollie" :)

Yip I read about that "eeee" sound, too.  And it is true with MY Ollie, he responds more quickly when I call him "Ollie" than full "Oliver".  And hey, probably your parents must have thought the same thing... :evillaugh: :rofl:

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:47:00 AM »
Me and my daughters picked Jasmine's name, when the kittens came we went for other names from Disney so we got Daisy (Duck), Meeko and Belle. Tigger already had a name when I got him  :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 11:36:55 AM »
Jaffa is so called cos he's orange  ;D  It took me a while to come up with a name for him (he was referred to as gingernut until then!) but I heard the name Jaffa from a couple of sources.  A friend of my sister's named their new puppy Jaffa, then I read in a cat magazine that a cat called Jaffa had won a cat show and I decided I liked the name.

I chose Mosi because I wanted a Somali or African name for him, so looked on the internet at african names.  I didn't like any of the somali names but thought Mosi - a swahili name - sounded nice, and it means first born which is apt as Mosi was the first of his litter to be born, and it was his mum's first litter.  His mum and dad also have names beginning with M  ;D It's also a native american word meaning cat. 

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 11:33:50 AM »
Hi,

I didn't really name my puds as they had names when I adopted them. Suzie was my mum's cat, Alfie was called "Little Al" when I adopted him so I changed it a bit to Alfie as I liked it better and of courses it's the shortened form of the good old English name Alfred which means "Elf" and this, I think, fits Alfie's personality and appearance perfectly. Frankie was called Frank and I added the "ie" as all of my cats have had an "E" sound at the end of their names as I read many years ago that they respond better to the higher pitched "e" sound. In the past my bridge babes also had names ending in the "e" sound,  my lovelly Oliver became "Ollie" :). Frankie's name suits his personallity to a T as he's very "sincere"  and very much a "free man" :)

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 11:37:56 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:25 AM »
My kittens were called Marco and Polo when I got them from CP and I liked them so they stayed that :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 11:22:52 AM »
Max was called Brutus when I got him from CP.  It was around the time the film Gladiator came out, and after a few glasses of wine, we decided we should give him a good Roman name  :tired:  Anyway, as he's a big cat, he became Brutus 'Maxi'-puss, which kind of stuck and became Max for short  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
How did you come up with his/her name?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »
What inspired you when you decided a name for your kitty/kitties?

My Oliver... The name had already been stuck in my mind for some time, it was inspired by Oliver Twist and before I had found my Ollie in the internet notice I always imagined I would pick a orphaned kitten from a shelter.  I also considered it was a cutest name for a kitten.  However as we brought Ollie home, I tried to consider other names as well, as he was not particularly an orphan like Oliver Twist.  The two other names that have been churning in my head were Cesare (Italian for Caesar), or Tristan(inspired from the trouble making younger brother of Siegfried, James Herriot's boss).  I tried calling him "Oliver!", "Cesare!", "Tristan!" and repeated many times, but I had to admit, he had decidedly "the look of Oliver", and the other two just didn't sound right.  So what the heck, he became Oliver anyway.  However he does want to keep on eating and asks for more at every meal time, just as Oliver Twist did at the beginning of the story, so in the end, it was quite fitting a name!! ;)

So... what's the story behind your kitties' names?

Link to CatChat