Author Topic: Indoor/Outdoor  (Read 7357 times)

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
Re: Indoor/Outdoor
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 22:30:42 PM »
Think I am leaning more towards indoor and making sure they have plenty toys to play with.

Have any of your indoor cats tried to make a run for open doors?
my two are converted to indoor cats from been pretty much out door only and if you open the door they just sit there and watch they don't try to bolt after the first few weeks

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 22:16:30 PM »
Yeah cos although mine are indoor/cat proofed garden etc i would love to run through field's with them (lol! @ run!) if i lived out in the sticks mine would defo be outdoors  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 22:13:57 PM »
My four cats go outside at the back and oine imparticular would not tollerate being an indoor cat.

I think as long as cats are as safe as they can be they should be able to go out.

This is a subject, ummmm one of many that we all have different views on ..........sigh   ;D

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 21:59:00 PM »
 :)Thanks :)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 21:56:44 PM »
HI Pinky  :welcome:

It's a very hard decision and depends on really how safe your area is although nowadays no area is totally safe for cats anymore sadly.

Have a read of this page in our Behaviour section about indoor cats. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4872.0. Theres so much great info in there to keep indoor cats happy.  

There is also a thread of great things like Kittywalks which are fantastic for inddor cats to give them the space they need inside. http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=7649.msg119571#msg119571

Is there a way you could cat proof your garden?  Some of us done that and it's great to see them enjoying the outside air safely. :) here's some info on that http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4802.0

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 21:53:20 PM »
I have had both indoor and outdoor cats, although they have all, always been indoor at night. Some have had to adapt to indoor when they were previously outdoor. Most do not mind. If they have never been outdoors there is no compelling reason for allowing them out, and a lot of compelling reasons for keeping them inside - less risk of RTAs, fights, infectious diseases, poisoning or deliberate cruelty (see the thread 'entitled my cat has been shot...'. So, for me, I would have them indoors all the time if possible, though having said that, my present lot will probably be outdoor once Smidgen has his microchip embedded as they will be company for the dog, and keep him distracted from the fox who has taken up residence over the back fence.

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 21:51:56 PM »
Think I am leaning more towards indoor and making sure they have plenty toys to play with.

Have any of your indoor cats tried to make a run for open doors?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 21:46:49 PM »
Mine are indoor/outdoor in a cat-proofed garden....they were indoor only up to a couple of months ago and it never did them any harm.....

Before i moved i used to let mine out through the day cos i thought it to be a safe area ie.. no roaming dogs, no main roads etc but one of my lot went missing for 13 days and he was trapped in a garage/lock up type thingy.....i decided to keep them in from then on...mine have adjusted perfectly  ;)

As long as you have enough to keep them agile (yes cat tree's are perfect) and not forgetting they love to play with us human's also i cant see the prob with being indoor only  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 21:49:27 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 21:40:48 PM »
My kittens are indoor and they seem fine :) I have two cat trees and piles of toys for them and they really do seem happy

Its no longer safe outside for humans never mind cats :(
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline pinky

• Adult Cat
Indoor/Outdoor
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 21:38:27 PM »
I am looking into getting my first cat (more than likely 2!). My partner has had cats in the past and all have been allowed outdoors. I know that I would worry if my cat was outdoors for safety reasons etc. Is it fair to keep cats in doors as long as they are not alone and have plenty toys? Or should cats be given the option to go outdoors?

Any opinions?  :-:

Link to CatChat