Author Topic: Heat Lamps In Cattery  (Read 7420 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Heat Lamps In Cattery
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 09:10:59 AM »
A cert from the council means nothing believe me - I worked in a cattery and they had a local council cert...........................but i will say no more !!!!!

Not at all we know and understand. Also a cattery usually knows when an inspection is imminent and they could spend days on sprucing up only to go back to their old ways after the inspection.

A couple who ran a pub and have no experience of cats have just purchased a cattery near here  that used to be one of the best around but since the owner  (whose passion was cats) died and her husband took over gradually it has gone downhill. Donna called for a cat that we were to take into care and the staff did not know its name although it had been there for weeks. The cattery is now more about profit and not the real care of cats. The facilities look wonderful but the true care does not match up to the look of the place.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 09:01:01 AM »
No wonder if they used blunt needles on her 

I did not think of that, Of course we (that is the Royal we) have used a new syringe each time.  I have copied the CP advice (which is also the advice my own vet gives) with pics and will just hand it to the owner and say I am just showing you this so you do not think I am going against your vets advice. Hopefully they will then take on board the information.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 22:21:53 PM »
I was posted to our Cairns office for a month while living in Brisbane. The cats had to stay as I was going to be living in an hotel. I had a cat sitter in who called twice a day. During the month I came home for an over-nighter without letting the cat sitter know. She got a big surprise when she found me there, but their litter trays were clean, their water was fresh and they had clean food bowls. So long as they are from an reputable agency they are really the best solution as it saves your babes from being exposed to new environments, disease and other risks. As well as giving them a sense of security as they have all their familiar things around them.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 22:15:17 PM »
the first morning I had to put on gauntlets to hold her while my husband injected her. Now she is like putty in our hands
No wonder if they used blunt needles on her  :(

Iv only been to one cattery which im told is a good one but i wasnt very impressed with the cleaning when i looked up. Alot of grime and hair on lights etc
I think if the whole family were away at once then i would use a pet sitter.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 22:05:34 PM »
A cert from the council means nothing believe me - I worked in a cattery and they had a local council cert...........................but i will say no more !!!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 21:18:18 PM »
The animals' well-being is paramount, but you can not provide for their needs if you do not also look after yourself.

Good point. My husband works very hard (as indeed do many who post on here) and he really does need the holidays  to recharge his batteries. Also I myself find it a relief not to have to answer the phone and the do all the paperwork  and necessary action that the calls bring. Even last night someone phoned about 1 am and then someone else before 6 am. Calls like that on top of up to 30 calls a day does take its toll, and to be honest at the end of the day if when the phone rings sometimes I feel like screaming but I need to answer it in case a little life can be saved.

Round here there are a number of catteries but only  one that I could recommend and she only has 12 pens so is always full, the rest I hear complaints about.

Our vets and another in Town put people on to us sometimes when there  is a special needs cat that needs caring while the owner is on holiday. At the moment I have Katy a 15 yr old diabetic and she is a little darling although on the first morning I had to put on gauntlets to hold her while my husband injected her. Now she is like putty in our hands.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 20:52:07 PM »
I agree, there are loads of excellent catteries out there. There are a few who are not so good. Go with your instincts, and if you make a mistake, then learn from it. I had to, and the only reason I use in-home care, is convenience and the fact that it is cheaper. If you have concerns about the people you choose, then do what I did. I came home for a short break during my absence and checked on my animals' wellbeing. If i had been worried, I would have cancelled my posting elsewhere. The animals' well-being is paramount, but you can not provide for their needs if you do not also look after yourself.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 20:48:24 PM »
I know there are some good catteries. Sian who owns our local one has 2 pens available FOC for CP. She loves the cats to bits and so do her husband and daughter(he is a policeman they don't run it together). Nevertheless, even though I have been there loads of times, I even tell her that I find it really odd leaving a cat in a cattery  :evillaugh: - She isn't FAB approved as they charge an astronomical fee to belong. I know for a fact the senior vet nurse at my vet always uses her. She is also a lovely woman. Despite all this, I still won't leave my cats in a cattery. I think they are better off at home with their own home comforts and smells. I have always used pet feeders with no problems (they are not sitters as they only come twice a day). I have been panicking about having my 1st holiday in 3 years but luckily, Gillian who is one of the people that runs our local CP is going to come in twice a day  ;D - I know they are in good hands there  :Luv:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 20:51:00 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 20:32:01 PM »
QP my sister uses a cattery she trusts completely over in Essex. Its a huge trek for them, in fact Spencer is there for the next week. He's a very amiable cat and the cattery staff just drool all over him so he has a fab time.   They have heated pens in the winter, proper insulation etc.

I recall my sister and I just doing a visit a couple years ago, we got an impromptu tour and Spencer has now spent 5 visits with them and he's always great if a little tubbier when he gets home because he's not gallavanting out of the cattery and getting as much exercise.  They're out in the country and have tight security as well. It was an absolute find.

I dont know where you are based but if its near there they are very very good and I can send you their details.

Lexy however is a timid madam and I couldn't take her out of the house she loves. So I've decided to swallow the deposit I paid for her to stay in the cattery my vet runs, its at a vet surgery so has nursing staff 24/7 BUT I've decided home is better. That is just me though. I have my ex coming to see her twice a day for the week I'm away for work. She loves him anyway, such a trollop...

I also know of some sitters in London who are vetted by the police and have a retired police officer as one of their sitters who lives near me. There are some good ones as BC says, you just have to go with your gut if you want to go this route.

Good luck in your search.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 17:27:06 PM »
The cattery I went to yesterday wasnt very impressive! It smelled in the reception and everywhere was dirty with mud and other filth. I even managed to bring the smell home with me!

I have telephone a lady today who has a cattery which offers the pick-up-drop-off thing and it would work out much cheaper than a taxi. I am hoping to get into this one. I am going to have a look around it sometime soon.

I've come to realise that I dont really mind how much its going to cost me as long as kit is comfy, safe and clean.
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 09:16:54 AM »
The local authority licence is pretty basic and I've looked at some catteries that I would never leave my cats at despite them being licenced

I agree often the person that comes to inspect does not know one end of a cat from the other, so how they can pass accommodation as suitable I do not know.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »
http://www.fabcats.org/catteries/infosheets/choosing_a_boarding_cattery/choosing_boarding_cattery.html

FAB have some good advice on choosing a cattery.  Being FAB registered is useful but a cattery that's not registered as a FAB cattery may still be excellent.  The cattery I use is not FAB listed but it's a great cattery imo.  They're fully booked long in advance so there's no benefit to them of being FAB listed since they already have more than enough bookings than they can cope with.

The local authority licence is pretty basic and I've looked at some catteries that I would never leave my cats at despite them being licenced.  They may have been ok in terms of cleanliness but I didn't like them and didn't give the impression that my cats would be cared for as I'd like.  A cattery should have a double door system which makes cats very unlikely to escape (unless there's a break in or they have very slack staff).  At the cattery I use they'd have to get past several doors to get outside as there are doors all along the central corridor so a cat out of it's pen wouldnt' get very far before reaching another door.  I can't remember what kind of heat they use, tbh.

If your cats go outside then a pen with an outside run is a good idea.  Otherwise an indoor pen is probably best as you don't want them getting a taste of something they can't have when they go home.

I know it's difficult when you don't have a car (some catteries do collect so it's worth checking some out who are further afield) as that might reduce the number that are suitable.  There are also pet travel companies that take pets to vets, catteries etc for owners who don't have transport or are disabled etc.  I used one of those once and it didn't cost too much so worth checking out.

Trust your instincs.  Once of the things that made my mind up to use my current cattery was that I clicked with the owner, manager and staff straight away and felt that they would look after my cats well.  They obviously spend time playing and interacting with them and observing their behaviour.  As soon as I return to collect them they can tell me what the boys have been up to, how Jaffa's coped etc.  Last time I collected them the owner was in the shop/reception area and as soon as I went in he was able to talk about them both and how they'd been in a way that made it obvious he really had taken the time to find out or observe them himself.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.  A good cattery will stick to your routine as much as possible and feed your cats what you want them to eat at the times you want.  Most will be give medication, groom cats etc as well.  And playtime for kittens is a must!  Ask if you can bring things from home too.  That's one thing that surprised me a bit as some of the catteries I looked at a few years ago weren't keen on owners bringing in much. You were allowed one toy or something!  The cattery I use allows me to bring whatever I want (one year I even took their own litter tray as I thought they'd like to stick with their usual, covered tray!).  I take loads of stuff - beds, toys, scratching post, old T shirt that smells of me  ;)  and at xmas I take presents for them both which the staff unwrap on xmas day and give to them  ;D (they actually offer to do this in the booking confirmation along with asking if they would like turkey or tuna for their xmas day treat). 

There are good catteries out there, it's just finding them that can be hard, esp if you don't have transport.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 00:00:31 AM »
I agree, those who I have used can not be faulted. They also live in while I am away which means the animals have people around at least as frequently as when I am home and going to work during the day. They have my full licence to take the animals to the vet and have been excellent support given that I am a single-person household.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 23:22:59 PM »
Council certificates only mean that they have met council's standards on health and safety and noise mitigation for the neighbours. It has little to do with the standard of care they offer, so long as it does not contravene animal health laws.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 22:41:19 PM »
I think you need to investigate catteries very carefully.

I was like you and did not have transport and put Sasa and Misa into one who picked up and delievered for a price. I went there  and spoke to them at great length and although it seemed to be Ok it wasnt, it was terrible and they did not look after my cats.

See if you have a FAB one and if you can afford it its definately worth visiting them and meeeting the owners and checking that they meet the FAB standards. I didnt know anything about any of this and hadnt found Cat Chat then.

Its so important that the cattery is good and although that one has council certs it does sound too wonderful to me, I maybe wrong of course.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 20:41:34 PM »
How many toys does she have? maybe she is bored... I have left mine, with a live-in carer, for up to two weeks. After they got over the shock they quite liked it. Most people who do this are used to animal foibles so can cope with the occasional woopsie.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 20:35:32 PM »
Oooh really? I dont like the thought of leaving her in an empty house for a week though. She pines for me even when I go out for the day. I can guarantee that if I go out for a day, I'll come back to poop on the carpet and sick somewhere else. I think its a behavouiral thing.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 20:07:01 PM »
Have you looked into home visits? That way the cat can stay at home and you have someone comes in a feeds them daily, changes their water, collects the mail, changes the lights about so it looks as if you are at home and some even water the potplants for you. Costs much the same as a cattery and much less inconvenience

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 18:52:29 PM »
The area was smallish! The cattery has got certificates from the Council etc and already has some booking from other people so it cant all be that bad!

Offline Borderdawn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 18:42:16 PM »
It would depend on the amount of space it was supposed to heat, an inside bed area is quite small and the lamp would be more than adequate, a more open space might be different.  We dont have heat lamps, we use heated beds in the cattery and the infra red lamps in the kennels, over the dogs beds.
Dawn.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 18:26:33 PM »
Thats what I thought. There's hardly any catteries near to me and I am reliable on taxis to get me there and some of the good catteries are about 10 miles away. I hate to think what this would cost in a taxi. Think I am going to have to ring around some others and see if they have a pick-up-and-drop-off scheme.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 18:21:59 PM »
Doesn't sound very satisfactory to me. Last one mine were in was fully insulated and had vinyl floor covering, fully lined with plasterboard and with proper central heating, as well as cooling mechanisms...

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Heat Lamps In Cattery
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 18:15:17 PM »
Do they work well? I went to look around a cattery today and the only heat source was a red heat lamp in the pen. I'm just worried that Kit might get too cold especially as she is going to be in the cattery during the winter. The main pen area was wooden with a concrete floor and a wooden shelf. It just doesnt look that comfy tbh!

Link to CatChat