Author Topic: Cat litter supply Help  (Read 7275 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Cat litter supply Help
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2007, 17:06:29 PM »
Ela
Thank you for that,looks like I will be signing up for Batleys.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2007, 16:56:54 PM »
The Mayfield Woodbase cat litter from Batleys is on offer during Sept £3.79 plus VAT for 30 ltr.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 16:57:23 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »
If you had the Mayfield wood based from Batleys you would need to order only 30 bags as £150 is their min order. They do bring it on a pallet. but are very helpful.

Good heavens its costs me over £11 for 30 litres of Smart Cat from the shop about 30 mins drive away.

From Batleys it can be purchased for £5.12 plus VAT and the suggested retail price is £9.99
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:41:20 AM by Ela »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »
Our old CP Branch have an account with Batleys and they do deliver free and on a weekly basis - I still order my woodbased litter through them and pick up on alternate visits to my Dad

We have stuck with woodbase as it does last ages so long as you don't overfill the trays - some of our ferals have a burrying frenzy and its still all over the floor but it also mixes well with soil for the ferals to train them round.

Good luck and always ask for a discount
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »
Do you have a batley near you?
If you don't want 60 at a time you can just get as many as you want to suit yourself. It cuts down on the storage space needed.
Having said that, the price isn't much cheaper but they do occaisionally have quite good offers on.
In order to join , you normally need the usual things, an invoice to your 'rescue' name (I cobbled mine together at work so I could print it onto as proper sage invoice) and a letter with your address. They will then probably give you a 60 day pass and all you do is drive up, load what you want onto a trolley or two and go.
They do not accept credit cards, cheques are a pain so cash is always the best option.

and remember to add VAT onto the stuff you buy.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 22:24:42 PM »
I already know where rescues local to me get theirs and its expensive.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 21:46:36 PM »
I emailed Wizz of Wizz Cats rescue to see where she orders her litter from....

Can I be so cheeky as to ask you who supplies your cat litter and roughly how much it is per sack.  I'm a cat chat refugee and post on the 'replacement' cat chat forum www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk and an independant rescue on there is looking to bulk order her cat litter after her regular supplier has increased the prices yet again.  Would be great to pass on the details of who you order yours from.

It seems she has been 'got at' by Gillian  :shify:  Only joking Gillian but she says she uses chick crumbs aswell!  She gets a minimum of 30 sacks a time at £5.75 a sack with free delivery.

Here's her tips on finding a good supplier....

"Tell her to 'negotiate' as much as she can - I am cheeky and always ask for discount or free delivery.  Get them to quote for one sack to start off with and then negotiate from there - what discount will you give me if I order 30, then - that's fine I take it delivery is free as I will be a regular customer.  She needs to build up a relationship with people and then its much easier - ask for people by name.  I don't mind talking to her if she is 'new to the business'.  Always glad to help.  She needs to be cheeky - if you don't ask - you don't get!  Tell her to try several different places."

Teresa, Would you like me to email the  rescues in your area on your behalf to see where they get theirs from?  Don't know if there are any local 'politics' issues so thought I'd ask first  ;D

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 21:50:44 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 20:44:03 PM »
Good heavens its costs me over £11 for 30 littres of Smart Cat from the shop about 30 mins drive away. It went up so much on the internet along with the postage and was never sure when it would arrive. also always have to pay before it arrives.

Think you should have atayed with them until you found a new supplier, but thats an awful lot for it to keep going up.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 20:34:50 PM »
Thank you to everyone who has taken time to post; I am not very clever on computer and really am at a loss where to start. I would prefer to stick with woodbased if possible, the price I have been paying was 5.28 a 30 litre bag thats including delivery and vat. Yes I know I was mad to tell them that I would go elsewhere but price increased by £40 a load in May and now £40 again,they also want cash in advance and wont give a fixed delivery date unless I pay an extra £40 again. I have to take 60 sacks at once which means Rob has to come home from work to help lift it all so all in all a false economy.
Trouble with most bulk suppliers they insist you have a folk lift truck to unload.

Any quotes welcome.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 17:52:44 PM »
Have contacted a couple wholesalers to see what they say. Batelys seems to be a distributor for most and is located in both Manchester and Liverpool so hopefully may get something here.

Didn't ask about chick litter TBH want to see if they can get wood based in bulk.  One seems to have a deal on pallets so will see what they say,

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 17:41:38 PM »
If you want to stick with the woodbased litter can you let us know roughly how much you get it for at the moment then we can all see what we can find online for you.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 17:31:06 PM »
T I tried WB with Lexy , unfortunately since she liked to clean her paws after going to the loo (such a priss) the dust/residue helped to block her up so I am a little wary of this, however, this could just be Lexy and her ways.

I don't normally buy in bulk but will contact Pets At Home who do 30L bags of their own brand litter which isn't too bad, Lexy does ok with that whenever I get it.  Can find out if they will supply in bulk and what their price would be so you can compare.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 17:26:09 PM »
If you try worlds best teresa then contact the company directly, they care called MPM products. They give a very good bulk rate  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 16:41:41 PM »
its still loads cheaper than proper litter - even when I was buying unknowingly from ebay it was £22 per bag!!!  I get through a bag every couple of months so I'm saving enough for them to have almo nature on a sunday instead!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 16:38:47 PM »

It's been discussed on a few threads on here before...  Gillian should be on commission  :evillaugh:

I'm just so grateful I found out about it myself - its saved me loadsa dosh!

I get mine from an equestrian type place but at £7 a bag looks like buckinghamshire is not the place to buy them!!

Dawn I used to pay about £7.50 ish at Jollyes, but recently found it cheaper at my local small petshop.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 15:18:45 PM »
I get mine from an equestrian type place but at £7 a bag looks like buckinghamshire is not the place to buy them!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 15:17:19 PM »
I use chick crumbs (Thanks Gillian  :thanks:) and have done since I first got the boys, they were 10 weeks old when they came home though so not tiny kittens but I've not had problems with them eating it.  I get mine from Jollyes but there are poultry feed companies that deliver as I can't imagine you lugging 60 sacks home in your car  :evillaugh:

Can you give some more details on the chick crumbs Gillian, I have heard of people using this before, what exactly is it and where do you get it from?

It's been discussed on a few threads on here before...  Gillian should be on commission  :evillaugh:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=1910.0

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=2676.0
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 15:21:31 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 15:09:39 PM »
Are these chick crumbs and safe for tiny kittens; I know someone who used worlds best for tiny kittes and ended up with 2 kittens with blockage from eating it.

Don't know Teresa - perhaps others here with kittens will say if theirs have been ok with chick crumbs. I havent had kittens here for 11 yrs! - Oh I just see Horza posted about kittens not eating it!

Can you give some more details on the chick crumbs Gillian, I have heard of people using this before, what exactly is it and where do you get it from?

Hi Lesly, you can get online - think Horza has posted a link. Or if you have a Jollyes pet store near you? Just look in poultry feed sections, ask for chick crumbs or starter crumbs.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 14:26:08 PM »
My kittens are using chick crumbs ok and they are not eating it, its really good as well, I'm paying 5.50 a 20kg bag and I'm sure if you bought bulk you could push that price down.

Try Here http://www.hipeak.co.uk/products.php?productId=29
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 14:27:39 PM by hOrZa »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 14:25:13 PM »
My friend jill gets her 'bestpets' delivered - this is batleys brand so i don't know if its the same thing. We use Batleys and I get up to 15 sacks in my estate at a shop - the suspensions a bit dodgy and it gets very heavy! :-[

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 14:17:10 PM »

Ela whats normal price inclusive of vat from Batleys please?

MAYFIELD CAT LITTER WOOD  30LTR  1  4.36  plus VAT
 BEAUTICAT LITTER  30LTR  1  5.41 plus VAT

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 13:58:33 PM »
oooh not sure to be honest, I've only been using it for about six months and mine are all grown up and have passed the eat anything that is around phase

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 13:58:08 PM »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 13:54:48 PM »
Are these chick crumbs and safe for tiny kittens; I know someone who used worlds best for tiny kittes and ended up with 2 kittens with blockage from eating it.

Ela whats normal price inclusive of vat from Batleys please?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 13:50:12 PM »
Does it have to be wood based Teresa? As Dawn said the chick crumbs are a very good cheaper alternative to WB. I pay £5.80 ish for a 20kg sack.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:47:48 PM »
I use chick crumb as recommend by Gillian it is £7 for 20 kg and acts like wbcl

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 12:14:53 PM »
We use Batleys. A couple of weeks ago they had Beauty Cat on oiffer for less than £4 although that is not much help to you as it is now back to its normal price, but they do their own brand which is very good.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
Cat litter supply Help
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can buy woodbased cat litter in bulk cheaply?
My current supplier has just added another £40 to the cost and so I have told him what to do with it;not very sensible of me but sick of everything going up.
I usually buy 60 x 30litre sacks at a time.
Also where is cheapest for worlds best please in case I have to try that

Link to CatChat