Author Topic: House cats - Cruel?!  (Read 7009 times)

Offline bren

• Adult Cat
Re: House cats - Cruel?!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 18:47:32 PM »
I have house cats, mainly because of disabilities -deaf- partially blind they are absoulutely fine, my other cats do go outside but one satays in the garden and the other ventures into next doers but thats it. thats out of their own choice.  

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 18:46:40 PM »
Hi there ... I am surprised, as many cat rescue places are happy to place kittens as housecats.  However, I do think it depends on their personalities, and their parentage to some degree as some cats just aren't happy indoors.  So it's difficult to say whether or not it would be 'cruel' since I suppose no mention was made of where these kittens are from?  I know the whole indoor-outdoor thing is a huge debate, I tend to fall in the 'outdoor' camp, but acknowledge that there are cats for whom the indoors is perfect!  Perhaps it might be worthwhile looking around for a cat that needs to be indoors?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 18:46:04 PM »
I jump at people who want to rehome kitties indoors......at least I know they will be safe from being run over or anything else happening to them.  I'm surprised that a lot of rescues don't like rehoming to indoor only homes.  In this day and age, there is so much cruelty going on in the world, it's the only way to keep them safe.

What area are you in?  I may be able to help if you're not too far  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 18:47:27 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Clairio

• Kitten
House cats - Cruel?!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 18:12:42 PM »
My boyfriend and i are looking to re-home two kittens.  We decided on kittens so we could try keep them as house cats - get them used to staying indoors for as early age as possible.  Our previous kittens who unfortunately had already contracted FELV when we got them we also indoor cats.  It never posed a problem, they didn't seem to realise that there was a whole world on the other side of the door. Before we discovered they had FELV we said that If they were persistant in wanting to go out we would have a re think but they just didn't seem to care.   From the moment we welcomed them into our home until the days they both sadly passed away i became full time cat entertainer, always making sure they had things to play with, inventing games and generally just keeping them amused between sleeps!  Of course i would have had a re-think had they really wanted to go outside but they just didn't seem to care.  Anyway, i'll get to the point!  I've just phoned a lady from a cat rescue in my local area who told me she'd have some kittens in tomorrow, i was overjoyed as we've been having trouble finding any.  She asked me what are i lived in so i told her and added that we will try to raise them as house cats anyway.  Her response - "i can't let you have them then, i think that's cruel"

I was gobsmacked!  I was so shocked i even thanked her without thinking.  How dare she insinuate that i'm cruel, she's made me feel like a bad cat mum - I gave my babies the best love and care in their short little lives, i lived for them - they were my world.  I'm so upset about it.  Is this a common feeling among cat protection/re-homing associations?  Will i have trouble re-homing if i want to keep them as house cats? 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 18:53:51 PM by Clairio »

Link to CatChat