Author Topic: things to prevent new sofa being scratched  (Read 7255 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: things to prevent new sofa being scratched
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2012, 15:08:03 PM »
Lupins lost interest in the wires at present cos he has bigger things to contend with ..............like Misa and Sasa  :rofl: :rofl: 

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 12:55:50 PM »
Just found some double sided tape in poundland, 3 reels for a pound (unsurprisingly). Is a bit fiddly but sticks to the arms and side corners of our fabric sofa ok and it has totallly put a stop to Cashie's scratching.  Is only a matter of time before he finds other bits to scratch I suppose but for now it is working.

Any results on the spray yet?

Jo
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:57:33 PM by jo.austin2010 »

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2012, 13:48:33 PM »
could do with that spray in a major attempt to save the life of my bottom stair :doh: :doh:
But still grateful its not my sofa!!  ;D
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 15:23:45 PM »
It might be worth a try  ;) After all it's not very expensive so not too much lost if it doesn't work  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
things to prevent new sofa being scratched
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 15:04:27 PM »
Gill you taken the words out I my mouth with the does it work on wires bit :3 it be great if it could!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 15:05:44 PM by Shiroi-Neko »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 13:59:15 PM »
Wonder if that spray would work on wires?     and curtains and and and lol

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 13:22:50 PM »

I tried some double sided tape I got in Pets at Home, it was quite pricey for what it is (£3.49) but so far it has stopped Cashie from shredding the sofa arms so has been worth it. 

My original idea of shouting at him did not work, I don't know why I thought it would!  He just looked at me insolently and meeowed.

Izzy has been a little angel on the scratching front, she scratches her post, her branch and her seagrass mat and, apart from a couple of attacks on the carpet which she stops when told, she has been very good. In contrast Cash is spoilt, pampered and precious and I blame myself.

Hope the spray works, let us know if it does.

Jo

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 18:19:48 PM »
Brilliant, thanks Allison.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 08:16:07 AM »
Ignore my last post! I found it  ;D

http://www.barnitts.co.uk/products/details/1040.html

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »
Does the spray keep them off the sofa, or just stop them scratching it?

I'd like to find something to stop my two shredding what's left of our sofa but I don't want to stop them lying on it.
Well it doesn't seem to stop my two lying on the sofa. I usually get a piece of kitchen towel, put the spray on the kitchen towel and rub it just on the sides of the chair/sofa. I've had a look on Google to see if I could find the one I use but can't see it at the moment. When I get home from work I'll try to remember to check which one it is.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline Honeysuckle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 23:40:02 PM »
Kitchen tin foil works best for me to stop my little furball from scratching the front of the sofa arms. I attached it with sellotape. She initially tried to scratch the foil but didn't like it so she has stopped. I have kept the foil on and covered it with a throw to disguise the foil. I also got a very, very tall and sturdy scratching post from Zooplus so she can stretch full length and scratch. That seems to have done the trick...mostly.  We also have a seagrass mat on the floor which she loves to use to scratch horizontally and never seems to wear so we don't mind her scratching.

Cats are very intelligent though aren't they?! My little one will very occasionally scratch a bit of tin foil free sofa - not because she needs somewhere to scratch- but because it gets my attention when she wants to play chase. She will keep doing it until I put down my book or stop watching the telly and engage her in chasing. She's a little monkey - but I can't help feeling proud of how clever she is.  :Luv:

Janice x

Offline catsmotherblog

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Isis and Edward
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 16:07:02 PM »
My two cats have completely scratched the base of the bed, the wall...they even try to scratch the fridge. When we bought a new sofa (cord material, so great for scratching, I timed its delivery with the purchase of cat tree! (2/3 layer scratching post/activity centre). It's been two years and the sofa doesn't have a mark on it! Distraction is wonderful thing!  :evillaugh:
Ashley (catsmother.com)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 09:59:08 AM »
I must have been lucky with mine *touches wood* lol

When Tazi was a kitten he tried to scratch my fabric sofa and my OH made a sharp loud noise and he got that spooked he never did it again - much like my Kitchen Worktops....never jumped up. Some years later along came kitten Nuggie. Tazi showed him the ropes and must of said the rules as Nuggie never did any of these not even once. So when the leather arrived it wasnt scratched.
They did however have a an obsession with the bottom stair carpet and Tazi loved embossed wallpaper so i was glad when fashion said painted walls  :rofl:
My scratch posts remained unused though...but the tree in my garden and one over the road was de-barked  :shify: :shify:

Peanut has arrived. He is worktop jumper  :-[ but only went to scratch the sofa once and has used the scratch post. Although both Nuggie & peanut have an unhealthy obsession with our new rug  :shy:
I wish Peanut would do his claws more often. He had them clipped when i adopted him as they were painfully long. I've noticed on my hall laminate this last week, hes started to click as he walks along - so i'm thinking his claws may need regular clipping  :scared: which i've never had to do with my other cats before, but at least 3 grow funny. Anyhoo despite this i'm glad he leaves my furniture alone and as Tazi taught Nuggie - Nuggie is teaching Peanut :evillaugh:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 03:14:55 AM »
leather sofas, wallpaper, carpet, my head...our Georgias tried them all :Crazy:
oddly though the cat tree with multiple scratching bits remains unused :innocent:

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 18:26:13 PM »
Since I did get this extra post the sofa is saved!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 14:27:17 PM »
Let's face it, from a cat's perspective any sofa/carpet/rug/runner/textured curtain/nice fabric thing/leather coat/posh handbag etc, is clearly just an enormous scratch post, purchased solely for use as such and property of cat. As opposed to a scratch post, which is clearly a strange white-elephant of an object purchased by slaves for no apparent reason. Whatever it's purpose, it has nothing to do with said cat, who can ignore it and put it down to one of those strange things slaves do from time to time.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Does the spray keep them off the sofa, or just stop them scratching it?

I'd like to find something to stop my two shredding what's left of our sofa but I don't want to stop them lying on it.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 10:29:06 AM »
You say you can't use spray but was wondering which one you' ve used. My Lily destroyed my fabric sofa so when I was getting my new leather one I looked into methods of stopping her from scratching and ended up buying a spray containing citronella. It's a very pleasant lemony smell and did the trick. It also discourages spraying.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 00:05:47 AM »
My 2 only scratch fabric sofas too. Not leather. Seeing as i live in rented flats i bought my own old sofa so they can claw that as much as they want!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 17:44:16 PM »
Very good cos Ruby is adorable  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 17:11:29 PM »
....... maybe a water spray..thats not cruel is it 

Nah...  I blow on our lot......... except for Ruby coz she 's too sweet with her big "oh mum, don't doo that" eyes  :innocent:  She gets away with murder that girl ....

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 14:24:40 PM »
My 2 used to scratch the fabric sofa but they don't do it on the newer leather one, if they jump onto/off it from any great distance or at speed their claws can catch though, although I don't really notice it. Having a cat tree helps as if they clawed a sofa as much as they claw the sisal on the cat tree, it would be falling apart!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 11:35:10 AM »
My two both scratch the sofa but they're canny and wait until we've gone to bed - I can hear it happening but can never get there in time to tell them off!

I once got something from the pet shop specifically to stop scratching - can't remember what it was called but it turned out to be (expensive!) double sided tape. However, it was a waste of money cos it wouldn't stick to the sofa.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
I like Sam's idea too.

Bonnie still scratches my leather sofa and it's partly my fault cos I don't tell her off properly.  ;)

She has so many toys and scratchers and still blumming does it  :rofl:

You can buy some kind of plastic stuff from the Betterware Catalogue but not sure if it's any good.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 21:52:05 PM »
I have throws now and Snooch loves to tunnel under them too so i think they'll be pretty useless..i'm not worried about any accident scratches thats just life i'm afraid  :-: i have 3 scratch poles but they're obviously not as much fun :doh:  :rofl:

Double sided sticky tape on the corner where you think they are gonna have a go .... you can either do this from day one just as a precaution   then if Snooch does have a go the sticky strip will put him off. 

Obviously once he knows it's not nice to touch the sticky bits you can remove them.
:thanks: I'm going to try this, think it'll be the best solution and maybe a water spray..thats not cruel is it

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 20:12:41 PM »
Get a sofa throw!

My 2 don't scratch the sofa but their claws will catch on it at times.  Plus Mosi likes to tunnel under the throw which does rather render it redundant!

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 19:35:27 PM »
Reminds me of one of these changing rooms type programs a few years ago, one of the designers said "cats are the enemy of interior design" He's certainly has a point. 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 19:31:15 PM »
Double sided sticky tape on the corner where you think they are gonna have a go .... you can either do this from day one just as a precaution   then if Snooch does have a go the sticky strip will put him off. 

Obviously once he knows it's not nice to touch the sticky bits you can remove them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 19:32:19 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 19:24:16 PM »
Mine are full of scratches, I had to get a extra post pole today

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 18:51:18 PM »
It is for real in the States but not in this country.

My cats dont scratch the leather but it get scratched when they slip or slide. All accidental and can happen on any part of it.

Cover it in throws is only thing I can think of but makes it daft to have a leather sofa lol. So took mine off and its now got ski marks.........sigh

Offline Rachel(Rachette)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 18:46:02 PM »
Hey everyone...just been googleing ways to prevent Snooch scratching my new leather sofa when i get it..i've used the spray on my fabric sofa but it gave me migraines, just wondering if anyone had anyother ideas please. A friend did say that her cat scratched her fabric sofa but didn't touch the leather but i really don't want to take the chance.

By the way is declawing for real ?!?! not that i'm thinking of doing it i just think its a barbaric idea.....

Link to CatChat