Author Topic: Best brush for long-haired cats?  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Best brush for long-haired cats?
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 22:33:03 PM »
Oh yes, think they got the pricing wrong on that one  :shocked: - the Pocket Pros are around £10 or less!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 22:03:28 PM »
A blue one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahl-Pocket-Animal-Trimmer-Battery/dp/B000KJVR58/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1294955993&sr=8-8  :evillaugh:

Some of the pricing on Amazon is really messed up  :Crazy:

I noticed that some are pet ones and others human ones.

This one might be best for me  :-: http://www.wahlstore.co.uk/wahl-for-dummies-pet-trimmer.ir?cName=home-pet
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2011, 21:37:47 PM »
Gillian - Have you any recommendations for a battery operated trimmer for knots and matts please.

I like the Wahl Pocket Pro trimmer - good for small knots http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wahl+pocket+pro&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=6403708969&ref=pd_sl_3pgiwszuh3_b

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 18:01:36 PM »
Wouldnt bother with the rotating tooth combs, all they are good for is collecting dirt lol!

A good metal comb and a slicker brush should be all you need. Metal comb with fine and medium spaced teeth and a wire slicker brush (not the plastic slickers with the bobbly ends - they just tug at the fur).
I do manage to get some hair out from the rotating but more with the metal comb and the wire slicker - depending how tolerant Chelsea is being  :shocked:

Gillian Ambercat I believe is a cat groomer and always read her recommendations. She has mentioned I think on CC about a battery operated trimmer to get matts and knots out (if they cannot be teased and cut out). Think that is the next item to add to my collection. ;)
Gillian - Have you any recommendations for a battery operated trimmer for knots and matts please.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 17:36:52 PM »
Wouldnt bother with the rotating tooth combs, all they are good for is collecting dirt lol!

A good metal comb and a slicker brush should be all you need. Metal comb with fine and medium spaced teeth and a wire slicker brush (not the plastic slickers with the bobbly ends - they just tug at the fur).

Thanks Gillian. I am a fan of the slickers with the tiny bobbles on the ends of the wires though - just as well Alice has one as she rubs her face against the brush really hard  :evillaugh:

The combs are only about £2.50 delivered on Amazon so will order one now  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 16:40:42 PM »

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
  • Sophie 9/93 - 3/10/11 Play hard my little angel
  • Slave to: Timmy, Baby, Danita, Tia, Miffy and Domino
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 13:13:47 PM »
Thanks people  :)

I now need to decide what to get next - is it the comb that is narrow at one end or one with rotating teeth.

Found a cheap one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DETANGLING-PET-COMB-ROTATING-TEETH-NEW-DOG-ACCS-/280614739273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4155f11d49

I would say go with what feels comfortable in the hand as this will be picked up by the animal.  It maybe worth visiting a few pet shops to see and then maybe order online.  I have found this has worked well and was told to me by an animal groomer when I was doing it as college and she said that is how she always got hers and if they were classed as a cheap brand but were comfortable in the hand and felt right she would get them rather than the dearer ones.  She would fetch her own in rather than use the colleges equipment as she did not like the feel of the colleges stuff and they had the top of the range equipment.  Hers consisted mainly of Mika brand combs and brushes.
It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2011, 06:59:58 AM »
I have all types of brushes but more often than not use a comb on both long and shorthair because it gets the fur out best, I've not found the rest much good.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 23:40:24 PM »
I now need to decide what to get next - is it the comb that is narrow at one end or one with rotating teeth.
Found a cheap one here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DETANGLING-PET-COMB-ROTATING-TEETH-NEW-DOG-ACCS-/280614739273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4155f11d49
That is the question Mark - which is why I have a little collection. :evillaugh:
The one with the rotating teeth was given to me by a birman owner and is the american original.
Trial and error or trial and success I think - It is all down to your little man Lazarus. :hug:

Yes I would like one too and at the vets they used a very quiet one on Franta to clear his jab site to make it easier for me.
Gillian has mentioned a battery pocket pro animal trimmer-  one so fits in the palm of your hand made by Wahl.  Think there are different ones though - maybe she let us know if she sees this thread.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 22:37:20 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 22:09:37 PM »
Yes I would like one too and at the vets they used a very quiet one on Franta to clear his jab site to make it easier for me.

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 20:50:13 PM »
Of course I am only an amateur at it  but we are getting better at it if I offer treats at the same time :-:

Gillian Ambercat I believe is a cat groomer and always read her recommendations. She has mentioned I think on CC about a battery operated trimmer to get matts and knots out (if they cannot be teased and cut out). Think that is the next item to add to my collection. ;)

My Semi-longhaired cat was a feral when she came to me so it is more reassuring her it is ok but once the brushing starts she purrs for England even if my legs look like pin cushions afterwards  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 21:03:18 PM by Edd »

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 20:45:04 PM »
My Semi-longhaired cat was a feral when she came to me so it is more reassuring her it is ok but once the brushing starts she purrs for England even if my legs look like pin cushions afterwards  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 20:38:23 PM »
Misa right now is his usual mess for this time of the year and he cries like a baby if he thinks I am going to groom him  and its ow ow ow ow ow and I have to be very careful or I will get hiised at and swiped......sigh

Offline Ellen2010

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 20:36:51 PM »
I have ordered the same brush Alice has as I could only find the slickers with sharp ends locally. These have little plastic balls on the tips to stop the skin being scratched - Alice loves hers and after 3 years they (they were BOGOF  :evillaugh:) are still going strong.

Anyway, not sure if this is the best thing to use so if anyone has any recommendations....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-Grooming-Ball-Slicker-Medium/dp/B0030UD41Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1294774666&sr=8-1

He has really fine fur so don't want to use a furminator.

I bought a regular one locally but have to be really careful not to scratch him.

Mark the brush in the link is the same brush I use and my girl that was feral quite happily accepts it once she is being brushed  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 20:33:45 PM »
I recognize at least 5 of those LOL

and some look quite lethal  :shify: Chelsea starts growling if I get them out of the box  :scared:

PS but she tolerates the Untangler and the two length teeth comb - sometimes with a bit of bribery  :rofl:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 20:35:12 PM by Edd »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 20:30:43 PM »
I recognize at least 5 of those LOL

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 20:27:01 PM »
Here it is:
http://www.theuntangler.com/shopping/

and here are all my combs :Crazy: The untangler is the 1st one - it is american but presume you can get in the uk.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 20:09:20 PM »
Thanks Edd  :hug: Not sure what rotating teeth are but it sounds like a torture implement  :evillaugh:

He is very tolerant. The type of cat that will purr so as not to offend  :shy:. That worries me  :shy:

I even tested out stroking his tum yesterday and gave it a scrunch. When it got too much for him, he gently pushed my hand with claws in. So different to willow who who tell me off and draw blood with little warning  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 20:13:01 PM by Mark »

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 20:05:03 PM »
Chelsea has a fine coat and no thick undercoat it being fine as well. As Gill says I try to use combs on her as her fur is very long in places especially round her ruff and pantaloons.

I have the whole selection Mark - and depending upon how much the cat likes being groomed depends which one works. To not tug at the fur so much the ones that work for me (and Chelsea) best are the ones with two length of teeth and the one with rotating teeth and blunt ends.

There is a whole variety of untangler combs which are excellent at dragging out the loose hair but as I say it depends what the cat will tolerate and Chelsea will let me know which she will not tolerate very quickly :scared:.

I can see if I can get some links of the combs I have if you like :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 20:00:47 PM »
Yes they have metal prongs but are quite thick compareed to one of those sharp points slickers without protective ends and the ends are are rounded so wont hurt.

Yes matts are a problem and if you do decide to try cutting let it grow a bit and then put a comb....like the one we have just talked about..........between the matt and the skin and cut above the comb.

Its so very easy to cut them by accident.

Thats another rreason for having two sizes of comb cos often the smaller one is easier to use in that situation.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 19:55:37 PM »
I saw that on there as well but wondered if it would be too harsh. Is it the metal one?

Apparently he was quite matted but the vets sorted him out while he was under for his internal examination. There is still a clump under his chin - not sure how to get that out without hurting him so may just buy some small scissors - hopefully blunt ended ones - I'm terrified of cutting him.

Funnily enough it is listed as recommended on the link.

I will see how he goes with the slicker and maybe order the comb - Wahl UK is local (Herne Bay) and they have a shop so I might have a look in there
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 19:58:46 PM by Mark »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 19:48:24 PM »
Yes that looks Ok Mark but with mine I prefer combs, the best one is the one with two lengths of prongs cos that does the undercoat as well, I have a larger one I use for Misa and a smaller one  i use for the birmans.

Brushes themselves are pretty useless with long haired cats cos they only do the very top of the coat and even with brstle one temd to cause loads of static.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Best brush for long-haired cats?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 19:41:17 PM »
I have ordered the same brush Alice has as I could only find the slickers with sharp ends locally. These have little plastic balls on the tips to stop the skin being scratched - Alice loves hers and after 3 years they (they were BOGOF  :evillaugh:) are still going strong.

Anyway, not sure if this is the best thing to use so if anyone has any recommendations....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mikki-Grooming-Ball-Slicker-Medium/dp/B0030UD41Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pet-supplies&qid=1294774666&sr=8-1

He has really fine fur so don't want to use a furminator.

I bought a regular one locally but have to be really careful not to scratch him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 19:42:10 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat