Author Topic: I fear that the end may be near for Mr T  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: I fear that the end may be near for Mr T
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 16:45:35 PM »
Rosella think the Zyklene would affect the result of Mr T`s blood pressure.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:05 AM »
Wibble, I am so sorry to hear our aging roue is feeling poorly. Give him a firm stroke from me, and a bracing lick or two from Esther, who is very good with men who are feeling a little down on their luck .... :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 10:54:27 AM »
18 is a good age WC and you know Mr T better than anyone and you may be right that nothing can be done without affecting his quality of life but have to agree that a vet visit may be best  :hug:.

If vet visits stress him too much, could you perhaps get vet to call out although he may need equipment at surgery esp if BP is to be measured.  Otherwise maybe try him on some Zylkene before you go.  I've got loads so PM your address and I'll send you some.  Our Dingle was deaf for her final 3 years.  It wasn't a problem.  I have no experience of blindness however but cats are so good at adapting.  Whatever you do for him I know will be best.  I hope he surprises you  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 10:33:23 AM »
Wibblechick sorry you are having such a worrying time  :hug: :hug: one small observation a cat that is enjoying cuddles and fuss isn`t quite ready to leave this world so chin up  :hug: Once retinas detach due to high blood pressure there is literally only a small window of time to correct things so quite possibly too late to correct eyesight but  high blood pressure can cause other problems so well worth thinking about getting it checked, however you know Mr T better than anyone and so only you can make decisions for him  :hug: we are here for you if you need us.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
I would definitely get him looked at just to know you have done everything - I took on two disabled cats last year, one partially blind and deaf, one completely blind and deaf, and both adapted really well (they had been dumped on the streets), and both had a good quality of life till other issues flared up, so he might surprise you and continue to potter for a while yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 08:40:45 AM »
Adding some  :hug: :hug: for you  :hug:

Defo worth checking BP, that's what caused my Max's retinas to detach, and vet thinks they partially reattached as he could still see some slight movement, albeit not much. 

What I'm saying is that even without sight, they adapt remarkably well, and Mr T is already used to his hearing failing gradually.  I remember T saying to me that we worry much more than they do about these things, and as long as everything is still familiar to them, they cope  :hug:

:hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:05 AM »
Sorry to hear about Mr T  :hug:

Only you know how Mr T is  but my Pep is about the same age and he went deaf and blind (I don't know when because we only adopted him last August but he is on treatment for high bp although his sight didn't return but maybe because his bp hadn't been previously been treated) Pep manages really well and seems a happy and very confident cat.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 23:04:11 PM »
Sending lots of love to Mr T and do agree with the others  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 22:25:56 PM »
Just to let you know,  my Mum had a cat called Heather,  who lived for many years without her sight or being able to hear,  she was happy and contented,  I think Mr T has many years ahead  :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 22:24:34 PM »
Mog's going for a BP test on Tuesday. She's quite wobbly and the yowling has definitely got worse. I know exactly what you mean about allowing elderly cats a bit of peace when they get doddery but I think I'd never forgive myself if I could help lessen her distress and didn't find out.

I am sending big cuddles to both you and Mr T. ;) :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 22:21:53 PM »
Sorry to hear this  :hug: - I do agree with Mark though, would be worth getting BP checked, if the sight loss is due to high BP, its just possibly reversible with meds. Glad he's eating and drinking well - hope you have a bit more quality time with him  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 22:06:26 PM »
Sorry C  :hug: - there are far worse ways to go and I know it will be a gentle one thanks to you  :hug:

I know you know him best but is it worth checking his BP - maybe his sight can be saved?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 22:05:35 PM »
Oh honey,  I am so sorry,   I am here if you need me  :hug:

Big hugs and kisses for Thomas xxxx

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 21:59:33 PM »
Like it or lump it here's a big  :Flowers: :care: just for you.  :hug: :hug:

Fingers crossed for a gentle and painfree time ahead for you both.  :wish:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
I fear that the end may be near for Mr T
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 21:55:16 PM »
Just to let you all know - Mr T has been slowly losing his hearing since Christmas - he can now hear next to nothing.

In the last few days - its become apparent that his sight is now going.   :(

I haven't taken him to the vet - he's 18 years plus and I see no point in causing him unnecessary distress. 

His behaviour is becoming more subdued, although he is still eating and drinking well.

I'm not asking for "Get well" vibes or anything because I think in my heart of hearts I know it will do no good - this is the slow wearing out of the body of an elderly cat.

I'm really just posting this to explain why Ive not been posting much - he needs me to be here  for him and wants lots of cuddles and fuss.  Nedless to say, hes getting them in abundance  :Luv2:

I will keep you posted, but I think the end is near  :'(
People Power Works!!!

Link to CatChat