Author Topic: Kitten cam - super cute!  (Read 6574 times)

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
Re: Kitten cam - super cute!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 16:19:53 PM »
Can I just ask Pinter why you are only donating 30% of the money to the CPL and not all of it or the vast majority of it?
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Pinter75

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 16:17:56 PM »
Yes this is 100% correct. I am on the phone with the cats protection league as I type this to give some kind of affirmation to our fund raising.

We are not in this to make money for ourself s.

We did not create the facebook page, that was done by someone else not connected with us.

Edit: I have just got off the phone with the CPL fund raising team. We are working out the best way to handle donations.

Maybe the best way is to link to them for donations, rather then us collecting.

I can understand the queries about this being some kind of commercial setup. Maybe i should have not put so much effort into designing the site?

Steve.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 16:08:04 PM »
Mod note.

Pinter75, I've just checked your webcam and your Facebook page.  I note from the webcam page that you are selling two advertising spaces on your site as well as asking for donations to fund the webcam and site itself.  I also see that you promise that 30% of all monies received will be donated to CP.

Is my understanding correct, please?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 16:05:44 PM »
Hi Pinter and Welcome to Purrs, I am really pleased that you have updated your Poppy cat cam today to show that the pregnancy was the result of an accident , I admit I took exception when I saw it as there are so many BSB`s about and contrary to your opinion there is a massive cat problem in this country,with cats and indeed kittens being PTS daily.
As I said in my earlier post I would like to see your cat cam carrying an endorsement from Cats Protection, it would also be good to show amounts raised daily and to know what percentage is being given to which CP in order to keep things above board.

Poppy and her brood are beautiful.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 16:05:11 PM »
I know rescues who do this .. only it's puppies not kittens. They have donate buttons on their sites. They do not spend any of the money on getting "extra gear" or "covering overheads". They stick with one camera, which works perfectly well and all the donated money gets used on their rescue. If they did ever need anything extra it would come out of their own pockets. They also have a large stream of traffic.

Plus the UK has a large stray cat problem and is certainly over populated. Hence all the rescues FILLED with unwanted cats and kittens  :'(

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 16:02:59 PM »

"As for the donations, we would like to have more cameras documenting their growing up and this requires a bit of money. We decided to ask for donations to help with getting more gear and cover our slight overheads.

Why not just use the camera you have and give *all* the donated money to the CPL rather than people donating money to you when a large chunk of it is going to go on funding camera equipment????
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Pinter75

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 15:39:49 PM »
Hi,

I am the creator of the Poppy "Poo" cat cam.

I need to clear up a few things.

1). This is 100% not a commercial site - it is for fun and happened by accident. When poppy gave birth, we set up a camera so we can monitor her from downstairs on the TV. Some of our friends thought it would be awesome if they could watch too. I add a webcam and started streaming the feed over the net. As with most things on the interweb, word travels fast!

Before long we had hundreds, then thousands of people visiting. I am a designer by trade, so a little effort into making the site look ok.

Currently we get over 2000 hits a day.

As for the donations, we would like to have more cameras documenting their growing up and this requires a bit of money. We decided to ask for donations to help with getting more gear and cover our slight overheads.

All the rest goes to our local cats Protection League. I am going to contact our local office to try and get some kind of affirmation that this is not a scam on the site.

It is not a quirky viral marketing site run by some large agency, just me and my wonderful girlfriend running this from home.

We are amazed at how much traction it is getting over the days since it went live!

As for neutering, she was booked in over the new year. We had a lot of snow and being remote were completely stranded. Nature took it's course and she got pregnant. She only had a small litter and they are probably all from the same tom. She is definitely getting neutered when her milk dries up.

We don't need to get donations for neutering, we have that covered already. Our other 2 cats are neutered/spayed so I don't think we are being irresponsible.

They will all go to good homes, we don't have a problem with over population or strays here.

People love kittens!

So there you have it, we just like to share the experience of having kittens in a nest somewhere in the house.

Enjoy the live feeds, they will be moving to their playpen soon, and that is when the fun really starts!

Poppy's owner.

"Kittens may be cute but owner has to be lowest of low; shes bred her cat and now apparently fundraising for CP, what other jokes does she tell."

We didn't intentionally breed her.

"I admit the kittens are cute but they are collecting money for themselves under the guise of it going to charity."

Unfounded and false.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 15:42:43 PM by Pinter75 »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 07:34:47 AM »
I am not saying this is a scam but my gut instinct tells me it could well be.

People need to be very careful who they give money to as sadly the internet is responsible for the birth of many fraudsters particular so called animal lovers. Anyone can set up websites with fake pics begging money, any back street breeder could film her new born kittens and make up a story; better still some so called rescues pull scams too, be very careful all.

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 21:20:47 PM »
yes i know....is it really a scam? :( its a bit 'public'..?? maybe they are donating? or am i just naive?! :shocked:
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 21:16:48 PM »
I admit the kittens are cute but they are collecting money for themselves under the guise of it going to charity.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline purrdy1

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 21:13:51 PM »
hmm well i loved it....
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 20:47:18 PM »
I am very suspicious - what is the % I wonder. If I wasn't at college tomorrow, I would be phoning CP head office. CP is about neutering and it gives out the totally wrong message.

The kittens are cute though  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 20:41:02 PM »
Oh, I know  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 20:37:20 PM »
Well, call me fickle but I was just enjoying watching the kittens  :shy: Of course in an ideal world there would be no unwanted litters, or any cats come to that, but that doesn't stop me admiring the gorgeous-ness of such beautiful tiny kittens  :Luv2:

Wasnt getting at you Helen  :hug: guess I see a few too many; they are beautiful though.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 20:34:36 PM »
Well, call me fickle but I was just enjoying watching the kittens  :shy: Of course in an ideal world there would be no unwanted litters, or any cats come to that, but that doesn't stop me admiring the gorgeous-ness of such beautiful tiny kittens  :Luv2:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 20:31:05 PM »
Sorry Helen it just looks to me as if shes taking advantage; I know if someone wanted to fundraise in that manner for me I would insist on it being written thay I did not hold with allowing cats to have a litter, I wonder if CP are aware of this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 20:24:30 PM »
It does say that they are getting her spayed as soon as her milk dries up

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 20:23:01 PM »
Kittens may be cute but owner has to be lowest of low; shes bred her cat and now apparently fundraising for CP, what other jokes does she tell.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Kitten cam - super cute!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 20:16:33 PM »
Saw this on another site...

http://www.pinter75.com/catcam/

The camera has night vision so you can see the babies all the time  :Luv2:

Link to CatChat