Author Topic: Does anyone use grey clay clumping litter? aka Cats Best is doing my head in!  (Read 7522 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Think of cats best as the red dye you can put on your teeth. If you remove all traces of it, you are doing the housework properly  :innocent:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
I ahve to say, since moving to somewhere with nice shiny, slippy laminate flooring, the tracking has got much worse....This happened when I used clumping clay too and I found the odour control wasn't a patch on Cat's Best so I'll just persevere.

Thanks Shona - was after a direct comparison tracking wise and I think you're probably right about the odour control of Cats Best being better.

I use the crystal type, I love it, no dust and no clumping

I might look into that type - do the balls track much? Also what's the odour control like? How much do you get through with two cats and how often do you have to change it etc? Sorry, lots of questions I know!

Happy to help!

I tried the crystals once, couldn't get on with it. They're hard under foot so if you have a fussy cat they might not like it. I didn't like that it doesn't clump so you end up with yellow litter and no way of taking the yellow bits out without a whole change so ends up very expensive.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
I ahve to say, since moving to somewhere with nice shiny, slippy laminate flooring, the tracking has got much worse....This happened when I used clumping clay too and I found the odour control wasn't a patch on Cat's Best so I'll just persevere.

Thanks Shona - was after a direct comparison tracking wise and I think you're probably right about the odour control of Cats Best being better.

I might look into that type - do the balls track much? Also what's the odour control like? How much do you get through with two cats and how often do you have to change it etc? Sorry, lots of questions I know!

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Precious Cat is clay based.

I ahve to say, since moving to somewhere with nice shiny, slippy laminate flooring, the tracking has got much worse. I have a huge covered tray with a flap and a mat in front. The biggest problem is that Dave kicks the litter out of the tray as he's stepping out :doh: It then follows him round the flat :evillaugh: This happened when I used clumping clay too and I found the odour control wasn't a patch on Cat's Best so I'll just persevere.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
www.rlpetproducts.co.uk- i think is correct - they are very good , been using them around 3 years now.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Think that may be worth a try. I prefer to use fine litter as Tyler does not like big stuff like catsan and the clay litters on her we paws

My two wee at the back and poo in the middle.

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Its like fine granules but clumps really well and when you have lifted it out you can''t tell they have been in it and it doesn''t smell.
I have 4 litter trays in the kitchen area too .

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
Re: Does anyone use grey clay clumping litter?
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 15:15:54 PM »
Well I've got the PAH deluxe hooded tray (the one they don't sell anymore) with the flap taken off. I fill it about 3/4 full and have one of those plasticy dinner mats in front of it. It's also in a high traffic area - the mid landing on the stairs and none of the litter ends up anywhere except just in front of his tray on the mat. Nope I don't clean up everyday as there's nothing really to clean up lol.

Oh and before anyone wonders .... He poops at the back of the tray and wees right by the entrance so when he does his digging/covering up he stands outside the tray and pulls the litter towards him -ie the entrance. You'd think that would make a mess, but it doesn't.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
Is the Precious cat clay or other stuff
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
I got the PAH litter mat to. I just got the one tray for the 2 cats but its a nightmare the tracking.

There must be a secret to it lol
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
I use Precious Cat from R+L Pet products - it clupms really well , no smell and only tracks on the kitchen floor a bit and my cats have very fluffy feet which doesn''t help.
I can recommend this and it lasts ages - its £15 per bag and if you spend £30 its free delivery and you get it within 2 days .

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 15:04:59 PM »
I have two hooded trays with a large PAH litter mat in front of them and the tracking is awful  :tired:

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 15:02:02 PM »
Wonder if its to do with the kind of trays.

I have a ferplast hooded one and it still gets everywhere

Last week i had just changed the litter and had not got round to putting the hood on when Tyler decided she needed the toilet and she started digging and there was litter everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 15:03:34 PM by puggy1975 Zoe »
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 15:01:31 PM »
I know everyone has more cats than I do, but I've never found Oko anywhere other than just outside the litter tray entrance. Even then, it's only a very tiny amount.

I really don't know how you manage that!  I have a tray with a hood and entry flap, but it still ended up all over my living room.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 15:00:09 PM »
I changed because I thought the dustiness in the clay was affecting Jaffa and making him sneeze (plus the potential worry re silicon being carcinogenc).  It made me sneeze too.  I also wasnt' too happy about the environmental impact of using clay litter.  Plus it was  :censored: heavy to carry home from PAH when I didnt' have a car! 

The dark grey of the litter I used didnt' show up on my medium green carpet too badly, but I did need to hoover regularly.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 14:56:57 PM »
I know everyone has more cats than I do, but I've never found Oko anywhere other than just outside the litter tray entrance. Even then, it's only a very tiny amount.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 14:56:32 PM »
I have a dark blue carpet and its a nightmare with the tracking. constantly hoovering

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 14:54:28 PM »
I started using cats best and its great but the tracking is a nightnmare,
 just goes everywhere

I've been using it for around a year now and while I like everything else about it I'm fed up with the tracking!

Cats best is the worst for tracking that's why I switched to worlds best.  I used to use clay clumping litter.  it does track but not as bad as cats best, and I suppose it depends on what flooring you have as to how much it shows.

Can I ask why you changed Susanne? I have beige coloured carpets so whilst the Cats Best doesn't show up too badly I'm still sick of finding it everywhere!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 14:47:25 PM »
Cats best is the worst for tracking that's why I switched to worlds best.  I used to use clay clumping litter.  it does track but not as bad as cats best, and I suppose it depends on what flooring you have as to how much it shows.

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 14:46:00 PM »
I started using cats best and its great but the tracking is a nightnmare,
 just goes everywhere

Not sure about the grey stuff . sorry no help there

Zoe
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Everytime I hoover I am always amazed at how much litter (Cats Best Oko plus) has migrated from upstairs - the spare room where the trays are gets covered in the stuff despite using litter mats, the stairs are covered and I often find it in the living room and in my room too, on the windowsills - everywhere!  :grrrrrr:

When I was a teenager and lived with my parents and our two cats they used grey clumping clay litter and I don't remember there being litter everywhere. I used the grey stuff myself with Tiggy when I moved out and took her with me and while there were a few pieces scattered I don't remember tracking on such a horrific scale!

Are my memories correct or am I remembering it through rose tinted glasses?! What's the tracking like for grey clay clumping litter?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 15:05:22 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Link to CatChat