Author Topic: Chick crumbs from Jolleyes  (Read 6755 times)

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
Re: Chick crumbs from Jolleyes
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 12:36:56 PM »
What does it smell of?  I usually use a litter with some sort of fragrance/deoderant in it so they are used to scented litter.  Jaffa isn't particularly fussy with litter, it just seems that the smell of the corn in WB causes him to pause and have a good sniff before he uses it.

I can't really describe it - it's not a scented litter sort of smell, more 'natural'. Along the lines of the natural corn smell, but different, more bitter somehow. They talk about a 'natural additive that absorbs more odour' but I have to admit I prefer the smell of the original plain corn. Not enough to change back, but to me the smell is noticeably different, and not particularly pleasant. Jaffa may think otherwise.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 19:16:59 PM »
Have you had a sniff of it insitu? Iv found if its turning powdery/floury it holds the smell of pee, also if a clump breaks up the little bits will smell of pee. It could be whiffy to him

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
What does it smell of?  I usually use a litter with some sort of fragrance/deoderant in it so they are used to scented litter.  Jaffa isn't particularly fussy with litter, it just seems that the smell of the corn in WB causes him to pause and have a good sniff before he uses it.

Offline Kucinta

• Adult Cat
  • Milo & Remy
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 12:55:27 PM »
For now I'm going to stick with the WB as I don't want to change things around too often, esp as Jaffa wasn't too sure about the WB.  He's fine with it but does give it a good sniff before going in the tray (when I'm cleaning it and the lid is off) but I don't want to change again even if it is to something similar.  Once I've given WB a good trial (and tried the extra strength one), then I will try the chick crumbs to compare.

The extra strength one smells different from the standard one - might upset Jaffa?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 09:32:27 AM »
For now I'm going to stick with the WB as I don't want to change things around too often, esp as Jaffa wasn't too sure about the WB.  He's fine with it but does give it a good sniff before going in the tray (when I'm cleaning it and the lid is off) but I don't want to change again even if it is to something similar.  Once I've given WB a good trial (and tried the extra strength one), then I will try the chick crumbs to compare.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 21:25:20 PM »
I've just been today to get my stock from Countrywide and I pay £8.95 for 25kg sack of chick crumbs and I have a loyalty card so I think I get 2% off that price as well.

When I had my van I would get 100kg at a time which lasts me about a month but can only get a couple of bags in the BMW >:(
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 18:15:35 PM »
Chick crumb is the first food baby chicks start on, and its much finer that other foods such as "grower" or "layer" which are sold in pellet form.

You can also get "mash" which is fed to battery farm hens, and rescued ex-batts when they first "come out". It is fine, like chick crumb.

P@h also now sell chicken stuff if you`re desperate, but the cheapest places will be countrywide, or other farm and equine surpliers. I pay about £7.25 at the mo for a 20kg sack of layer pellets.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 12:01:54 PM »
had the argo one but getting the farmgate brand for about the last year
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
Although not from Jolleyes (not come across them in Brum) I too am paying between £9 and £10 per 20kg for Argo chick crumbs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:33 AM »
Susanne, you can also buy it loose in Jollyes (they have it in big tubs) so you could just fill a bag (enough for one tray say) just to try it first maybe.

Have you seen the size of my litter tray?  :rofl:  Let's just say the big bags of WB just about fill it to the desired depth  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 19:57:09 PM »
The stuff I used to get from Jollyes came in a 20kg sack and was called 'chick starter crumb' or something very similar.  I think the sack was white and green and then it had a blue bit where it had chick crumbs writen on it.

£5.49 for a 5kg sack seems quite expensive as the 20kg sack was £8-£10 when I was getting it.

That was the one I used to use from Jollyes too - it was around £8.95 for 20kg.

Susanne, you can also buy it loose in Jollyes (they have it in big tubs) so you could just fill a bag (enough for one tray say) just to try it first maybe.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 19:12:37 PM »
It would say somewhere about coccidiostat being in it, this is what you want to avoid. The feed merchant i went to has this in their chick crumb so i got duck and goose starter, does the same job  ;D

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 18:30:27 PM »
yea I'm only paying 6 quid for 20kg. not Jollyes they were about 9 quid for 20kg

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 18:14:26 PM »
The stuff I used to get from Jollyes came in a 20kg sack and was called 'chick starter crumb' or something very similar.  I think the sack was white and green and then it had a blue bit where it had chick crumbs writen on it.

£5.49 for a 5kg sack seems quite expensive as the 20kg sack was £8-£10 when I was getting it.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 17:02:19 PM »
yea the poultry feed is just next stage for the chickens and is bigger stuff. you can use it in a pinch, I have. and the only thing I make sure of is its un-medicated feed, and so far haven't seen the medicated variety.

hth

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:06:43 AM »
I think the bag was red?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
I used to get a light blue and white bag - I think poultry feed is bigger bits

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Chick crumbs from Jolleyes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:38 AM »
Ok, so my local branch of Jolleyes do sell chick crumbs.  I have looked several times before but was looking in the wrong place.   I don't know why I didn't think to look in the bird section  :-[  Anyway, they had 2 different things.  They had something called chick crumbs which I assume is the one?  £5.49 for something like 5kg?  I noticed the first ingredient was wheat (as opposed to maize in WB) plus it had various things added for calcium etc. but didn't look like it had any medication added or anything like that.  Is that ok?  Is that the one that people who have bought it from Jollyeys use?  they also had a big bag of something called poultry feed, poultry mix or something like that.  I assume that's not the one?

Link to CatChat