Author Topic: Recommended Hoover for cat hair?  (Read 6762 times)

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
Re: Recommended Hoover for cat hair?
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2009, 09:16:29 AM »
I can safely say my Dyson coped very well with the accumulated cat fur - I won't let on how many times I emtpied the drum just doing the hall and kitchen though  :innocent:  Baldrick, my nearly blind one eyed cat, isn't normally scared of vacuum cleaners but this one is a monster.   Probably because it's the cylinder one rather than the upright one, so it stays put while I move the wand thing around (or try to, it's got such strong suction it was trying to take the carpet with it).  Baldrick walked up to it then leapt back into the wall, back arched, because the Dyson just sat there making noises at him.  He soon got bored with helping though, and went off to distribute more fur around the place.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2009, 01:42:02 AM »
Have we had a poll on hoover's yet?  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2009, 21:47:25 PM »
I love my dyson...

Something very satisfying seeing all the fluff encased in the drum.

I do the downstairs...empty... then do the upstairs...empty...just to see how much is collected in there... Oooooo... sad isn't it???

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2009, 19:51:13 PM »
Dyson is wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too expensive and the guy who tried to sell it to us, I nearly slapped him and I whisked away my OH from the shop.
I have this one

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=7872

except...it came with the wrong brush, they got me another one but it's still the wrong one, as I don't have carpeting.
With the right kind of brush, I think it's OK, with the wrong kind...  :censored:
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Karon

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2009, 19:19:14 PM »
We've only got carpets, and I've just bought my second Dyson (the first one was about 10 years old and I finally managed to kill it).  I hope it'll be OK!  I don't exactly do a vast amount of vacuuming, so I expect I will be able to make another cat out of the fur I'll collect when (if) I vacuum tomorrow.

I've bought the DC23 standard model, it's not a stowaway one but does fold up pretty well and it takes up a lot less space in the spare room than the other one did.

Offline paola

• Kitten
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 11:24:07 AM »
I used to have a Dyson, which worked well on carpet but was useless on the wooden floors (I could see the cat's hair flying away in front of it). I switched to a Miele - works at least as well on carpet and waaaay better on hard floors, plus being a cylinder is much easier to carry around than the upright Dyson, which weighed a ton... I'm really happy with it.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 16:26:58 PM »
My telescopic pole seized up  :naughty: (probably from being jammed in a cupboard  :-[ ) I phoned them and they gave me another number and said I must have the receipt. I searched for ages for it, then phoned the number but they just said they will send me a new one  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 22:51:09 PM »
I find it really shocking too, but am also pleased that I know that everything has been picked up!  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 22:18:34 PM »
Thanks for the Argos recommendation :)

OH and I bought a Dyson Animal DC25 today, I vacuumed twice with the old Electrolux this week but managed to gets loads of fluff and cat hair up with the new hoover and thats only the living room gone over!

I'm still horrified at what comes out of my carpets - especially when I think they look clen and I still get wreams of fluff out of it  :sick:

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 22:09:26 PM »
Thanks for the Argos recommendation :)

OH and I bought a Dyson Animal DC25 today, I vacuumed twice with the old Electrolux this week but managed to gets loads of fluff and cat hair up with the new hoover and thats only the living room gone over!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 15:33:36 PM »
I'm sure our last one said Malaysia.

Edit - It is true, I really am a mine of useless information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_%28company%29
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 15:35:18 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 14:56:09 PM »
I have to admit, the first one I had was great. Really heavy & solid. It was a DC1 - made in the UK. (They are made in the far east now) I stupidly decided to "upgrade" and after 2 more, I gave up on them. The Miele is nice solid German engineering and quality materials for about the same price as Dyson.

I thought they were made in Poland/ Hungary now
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 14:47:44 PM »
I have recently bought (well hubby did) the Dyson DC23 animal - it is SUPERB. Was a tad expensieve at £240.

My old bog standard DC20 died on me  >:(

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 16:08:54 PM »
Not sure which attachments come with the cat & dog. We got the Hepa one which came with large turbo, hard floor attachment + small bits. We also bought a car set that included the small turbo which is what I usually use for rugs & carpets.

sounds pretty much the same - we got the large turbo, small turbo, hardfloor thing and the small bits inside :) the 10 year parts and labour for £30 swung it i think  :wow:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 07:11:49 AM »
Some of the problems I had with my Dysons were

The attachments used to fall off
The turbo brush stopped spinning on rugs etc or if hair got caught in them
The plug came out of the socket too easily so often, I would be hoovering the stairs and it would switch off.
The tube wasn't strong enough and used to flatten, blocking off air flow.
It was always chipping paint
I hated emptying it.

I have to admit, the first one I had was great. Really heavy & solid. It was a DC1 - made in the UK. (They are made in the far east now) I stupidly decided to "upgrade" and after 2 more, I gave up on them. The Miele is nice solid German engineering and quality materials for about the same price as Dyson.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 06:53:37 AM »
I swear by my Dyson, but despite being a committed fan I am more than willing to admit that the attachments for furniture and curtains are less successful. On the floor there is no beating it - I discovered patterns on my rug I had forgotten where there!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2009, 22:52:12 PM »
Not sure which attachments come with the cat & dog. We got the Hepa one which came with large turbo, hard floor attachment + small bits. We also bought a car set that included the small turbo which is what I usually use for rugs & carpets.

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 22:36:56 PM »
well, thanks to you all. We opted for the miele cat and dog and after one hoover our carpets look like we stole them and hoovering never made me sweat!! not telling OH though ;)

Offline liquorice

• Adult Cat
  • New picture
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 22:58:54 PM »
Dyson animal.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 22:56:06 PM »
Dyson all day every day  ;D I have the DC14 but as a bonus it came with the turbo brush head thingy which means it is the same as the Animal DC14. They come with a 5 year guarantee nowadays too.

I have exactly the same but mine was from Curry's, was going to get the animal but they said with the brush head thingy's it was no different so got that one.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 22:49:59 PM »
ooooohhh a tortie, :Luv2:  can you guess what my favourite cat is...... we lost ours age 16 and said never again (like you do) and whilst collecting several cats and kittens from death row we saw a 5 week old tortie, and hubby fell in love and twisted my arm, they really are the prettiest cats, :Luv2: 
i have as much to learn as i have to teach

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 22:42:58 PM »

Thanks  :)

I will start collecting Alice's fur (she is the only one that will allow brushing) - I'm sure it will end up being a beige bear  :evillaugh:

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 22:24:33 PM »
hope this works i'm not very techie, http://dazzlewe.co.uk/keepsake.htm they have a four week waiting list at the moment, i'm having two small ones made

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 20:46:41 PM »
I have a Dyson Animal and it is great.

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 19:05:25 PM »
Dyson all day every day  ;D I have the DC14 but as a bonus it came with the turbo brush head thingy which means it is the same as the Animal DC14. They come with a 5 year guarantee nowadays too.

There's one on special offer in Argos at the mo, it's reduced to £190 from £260 plus you get a £50 Argos gift card if you buy before 25th August so £140 really. There's 70 reviews and it gets a total 5/5  ;D

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4061870/Trail/searchtext%3EDYSON.htm

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 17:41:07 PM »
Just one more question though - with the pet vacuum cleaners, you get an extra attachment with it, dont you? These dont like my long hair  :-[

The turbobrush I had with the dyson was forever jamming with long hair (not mine  :evillaugh: ) or if it didn't like the surface. The Miele works fine though. I have had to unjam it about 3 times in a year is all.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 17:07:20 PM »
you could always do what i'm doing this year for my mums christmas present, save all hair, i've been brushing the dog twice a day, and posting it off to a company that turns the hair into keepsake teddy bears :Luv2:

Could you post a link to that company please?

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 16:06:17 PM »
Hahahahahaha

it just goes to show what cr*py hoovers I have been using previously!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 15:44:01 PM »
Just one more question though - with the pet vacuum cleaners, you get an extra attachment with it, dont you? These dont like my long hair  :-[

Huh? I have long hair too and no probs.... Maybe if you stand while you hoover that may help!  :rofl: :hug:

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 15:35:33 PM »
you could always do what i'm doing this year for my mums christmas present, save all hair, i've been brushing the dog twice a day, and posting it off to a company that turns the hair into keepsake teddy bears :Luv2:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 15:08:25 PM »

Offline tortie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 15:07:11 PM »
We have laminate downstairs and with the Dyson you just stand in one corner, turn on and the power just sucks all the hairs from the whole room!

Beat that one Mark!  :evillaugh: :P :hug:

yep same here  ;D only because we have dogs too, the hair tend to go a bit tumbleweed at the edges, so i just switch on and voila its gone, i have the dyson animal, its a godsend with the menagerie i have :evillaugh:

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 14:54:30 PM »
Hahahha oh no what have I started?? I am gonna look into Miele, mainly for the 10 years parts and labour you can get!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 14:51:56 PM »
We have laminate downstairs and with the Dyson you just stand in one corner, turn on and the power just sucks all the hairs from the whole room!

Beat that one Mark!  :evillaugh: :P :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 14:49:37 PM »
We currently have a henry and I hate him. We have our eyes on a Miele next.

Incidentally I brought a little Philips hand held hoover last month and I run around with is most nights as we have laminate and its brilliant, I love it.

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 14:32:47 PM »
Thanks I will have a look a Miele and Dyson - though most other websites are not very complimentary about Dyson!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 14:12:54 PM »
Miele every time. Yes they need bags but the dust gets compacted so a beg lasts 2 - 3 months. All the dust is sealed in the bag and there is even a little flap so you never need to see it. They are head & shoulders over others. even if you get the basic model which is £99 in Debenhams ATM, you can buy extras as & when if you want.

The bags are £8 but a pack of 5 (normally 4 in a pack but when I got mine, there was one extra free) + the one that comes with it has lasted me a year at it's a 4 floor house.

5f someone else can find the old thread, I raved about them then ad still do. Even the rubber bumper stops furniture and door frames getting dinted - my old Dyson was always chipping paint AND the plug was always coming out of the wall. I hated it.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 14:06:25 PM »
My shortening for bog standard lol, the basic Dyson on the market  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 14:05:19 PM »
Thanks :) I did have a peek in the seach feature but alot of the topics were from 2007 hehe

What is boggo??

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 13:51:27 PM »
Dyson for me too, but I've got the boggo one and its just great  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Link to CatChat