Author Topic: early neutering will never be a solution for unwanted kittens  (Read 6817 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: early neutering will never be a solution for unwanted kittens
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »
Discuss.

Quote comes from a breeder forum by the way.

I started a thread there on what you would do if you found one of your 'pet' pure breds was being used to breed, and if you want to know about it and what you would do if you did.  However it turned into a early neutering thread and threw this gem of wisdom up!!

Just to get a grip on the quote itself, did its poster offer any more context or evidence to back up his or her assertion?  I'd be interested to know if s/he did!

As it stands, I'd say that while early neutering will never be a total solution to the problem of unwanted kittens, it would at least inhibit the practice you describe, of unscrupulous people breeding from cats they had acquired purportedly as pets.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 07:52:22 AM »

I do wish more vets would follow CP's guidelines and neuter at 4 months though, that would be a big start

Yep, the ones I took in to my vets were done via my local CP
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 07:34:41 AM »
I dont think it will be a complete solution, as there are other places to get kittens from, but I do believe it will help a lot, as it will limit the places people get kittens from to allow them to breed, especially in the UK compared to the US as very few pet shops sell them. Three of the local rescues will neuter kittens at 8-12 weeks old, my friends two are from one of them, and you wouldnt tell with her cats (the male is 2 now, and the female is 1), neither have had stunted growth through it, and apart from the male eating somethign he shouldn't, neither have had any health issues.

I do wish more vets would follow CP's guidelines and neuter at 4 months though, that would be a big start
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
My vets must neuter them fairly young because some of the ferals I have taken were younger than 5 months.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:32 AM »
In the US most rescues neuter at 8 weeks. But unfortunately this doesn't help keep the animal population to a manageable level as there are a lot of back door breeders, pet shops etc.

Two of mine were US rescues and no problems ever came of being neutered early. One of my UK cats was from a dodgy rescue and wasn't spayed and I cannot understand how anyone can breed a cat.

Smoke drove us nuts for a week when she was in heat! The noise....   :Crazy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 23:14:00 PM »
I'm personally for neutering but against early neutering. I really dislike the concept. I'm 100% Against it for canines - even 6 months is too early. For cats 6 months seems just about perfect give or take a few weeks before hand. For really small kittens I hate the idea. I don't think I could support rescues who do it really early.

My vet wouldn't actually neuter my rabbit - well it took a lot of convincing. In the end I had him done at 1.5 yrs old. The recommended 4/5 months just seemed way too young for him. He's doing brilliantly and I'm actually glad I waited.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 23:10:34 PM »
Have to say our girls really were very good about staying in until they were spayed at 5 1/2 months and I had the follow up call to check that they had been spayed.  Our vet wouldn't spay earlier than that in normal circs although I imagine vets might be persuaded if you have a brother and sister.  Actually it got a bit confusing when I was called as we took the girls' mom (Dinah) as well who had been spayed.  

When I got the telephone call to follow up whether we had spayed kittens, I initially mentioned that we were playing with the mom and her kittens in the garden which got a stern "I beg your pardon!"  Obviously all OK when I explained  :-:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 23:07:13 PM »
When we first got our 2 rescue kittens from CP and RSPCA they were about 14wks and we were told that we had to get them spayed/neutered when they were about 5 mths old - that was 20 yrs ago (I've just checked the documents which I've kept  :))  We only adopt oldies now but as you say Tan, it does seem that it is done now before you adopt if they are old enough.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 22:56:25 PM »
Louise - the quote is NOT from a "Breeder Forum" - the Forum is for people who own and are interested in Bengals as well as Breeders. 

Personally I would not want my cats spayed/neutered before 5/6 months of age.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 22:51:13 PM »
I do think the vets who will not do it before 6 months are often older generations.  I had a similar problem with my rabbits and getting Sophie spayed at 3 months, as she was agressive in her hutch, and over food and bit me a couple of times, so very hormonal, but the vet refused to spay until 6months, so I moved to a vet who would spay her, and have been happy there since, although I had to compromise with 4 mths.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 22:48:23 PM »

I don't think any repuatable rescue would let cats go before being spayed. The only exception is kittens but Sharon (and I'm sure other rescues) is very strict about following up to make sure they are done when they are old enough.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 22:45:02 PM »
I think some vets won't do it before a certain age. I know with all mine the earlist my vets allowed was 5 months  .  I would hope a responisble owner would keep the little one in until their vets will spay / neuter.  But we all know there are those out there in the world that believe it is unatural for their cats to be "done" sadly.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 22:39:22 PM »
I know rescues always try to get the adopted family to neuter / spay if the kittens are adopted before that time is due.  Every rescue babe i have had from the CP, i have had to proove they have been done and gladly would anyway. :)  I think from Purrs posts all the rescue spay or neuter if a cat is old enough before adoption but the wonderful peeps in reascue can answer that much better than i can :)

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 22:38:51 PM »
does anyone have an opinion?

As most know I am new to cats, and have come across the recommendation that cats should be neutered at 6 months, however, I have com across instances of cats in heat at 4 months, surely kittens should then be neutered before they go into heat.  I have looked at the research and much of it is positive towards early neutering

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 22:02:25 PM »
Quote from Louise

I am having a really open discussion with the breeders on a bengal website, trying to encourage them to neuter before the cats go to a new home.  The bengal I had enquired about earlier on in the week was sold as a pet, but the owner was breeding her and I wanted to know the breeders reaction, and it morphed into early neutereing before letting the kittens go.

What I wanted on here was the other side of the coin, who does early neutering as many on here are rescues .

This discussion isn't about to breed or not so please don't let that be included.
The question here is do rescues think that early spaying or neutering before cats are adopted from rescue help.

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
early neutering will never be a solution for unwanted kittens
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 22:27:50 PM »
Discuss.

Quote comes from a breeder forum by the way.

I started a thread there on what you would do if you found one of your 'pet' pure breds was being used to breed, and if you want to know about it and what you would do if you did.  However it turned into a early neutering thread and threw this gem of wisdom up!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 21:32:59 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat