Author Topic: HELP! - Found an RTA Cat - RIP Black Cat - Probable owner responded to posters  (Read 6711 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Paula is going to take the cat to the nearest vet to where I found it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
The thing is, if you see a cat, you have to check in case it is alive and suffering and then you go on autopilot.
 I was grossed out though  :sick: - poor baby  :'(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I'm so sorry Mark what a horrible thing for you, at least you tried though, lots of people would have pass on by

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I was surprised how hard it was. OH wanted me to go to the vet in case there was a slim chance it was alive. Apart from the fact I knew it wasn't, I was trembling and worried that I would have a crash. At the same time, it wasn't brave as I'm sure most of us would have just gone on with it. I told OH I just forced myself to think of it as biology and not a cat (although I was very gentle)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Mark what a brave thing you did, it can't have been easy and must have been distressing for you  :hug:

RIP black cat, play hard on the bridge sweetheart

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Just read this, Mark

:hug:  What a horrible thing to have to deal with.

I think the cat was already gone when you brought it in.  Fleas leave a cooling body ....  Ive seen this happen with cat road victims Ive been involved with.

Eyes can re-open after death -bodiees make noises - its all a bit grim but the bit that matters is the life isnt there any more - whatever our spiritual beliefs the cat sounds as if it passed very quickly.

Thank you for caring - too many people would have just passed by ......

Sometimes I want to put up a blackboard at the side of a particular bit of road here, with all the cat (and other animal) death details written on it, in the hope that motorists might just stop and think  :'(

People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: HELP! - Found an RTA Cat - 99.9% sure it is dead - how do I check?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 06:58:06 AM »
I have been beating myself up this morning. I was still checking the carrier for any signs of movement. Although it is covered. I can still see the undamaged eye which is wide open. I was wondering if it was closed last night. It isn't dilated which to me would say it was instant? - I really hope so. If it isn't chipped which is likely as if it is an owned cat, it probably wasn't very well cared for, I suppose I should knock on some doors by where it was found. I think probably the best bet is to ask Paula as she lives 1/2 way between me and the vet where I found the cat. This road really is a rat-run as although it is a side road, it is the road that comes off the Thanet way. People bomb along there. It's the same road where a woman in a 4x4 smashed my mirror without stopping.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 06:43:37 AM »
 :'( Poor thing and with fleas too. Thankfully you were there to care for it Mark, it must have been awful for you  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:03:53 AM »
Just to answer the questions as I need to go to bed as up in 3 hours to take OH to the station. I can't ask the vet next door but could ask Paula (one of the fosterers) to go to another local vet who is closest to where I found the cat. It was either stray or not looked after as it has so many fleas.

Thanks for the support  :'(

I wanted to make it comfortable even though it was dead so it is wrapped in a padded mattress protector (I got OH to buy some pure cotton ones in TK maxx the other day as the others were poly cotton  :shy: )

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 01:48:31 AM »
Thanks Pav - in a way, it is a blessing as it was in a real mess. I think I only did what most people on here would do. I am sure it was a hit and run although the cat was lined up against the kerb - if only people didn't drive so fast in back streets - I hope the person drives into a wall and has the same injuries  >:(
Some times they manage to get up and try to make it home, depends how badly they are hurt, may be thats why it was against the kerb or some one moved it there. its so sad.
My Piccollo made it all the way through the cat flap, when i opened the door i saw her sleeping by the stairs and Bambi was crying and meowing next to her thats when i realized some thing is wrong.
x

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:39:35 AM »
I think Willow will sense if there is another cat in the car, cant you ask the vet next to you to scan the cat in the morning?
Unless you can put the dead cat in a plastic bag and close tight. :( :( I am sorry you had to go through this. :hug:

RIP little cat. :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:39:21 AM »
Oh Mark that must have been awful for you, has made me all teary just thinking about it  :hug:

RIP little cat, safe and sound at the Bridge by now xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:38:21 AM »
Thanks Pav - in a way, it is a blessing as it was in a real mess. I think I only did what most people on here would do. I am sure it was a hit and run although the cat was lined up against the kerb - if only people didn't drive so fast in back streets - I hope the person drives into a wall and has the same injuries  >:(

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 01:31:55 AM »
Quote from: Mark link=topic=26391.msg 462874#msg 462874 date=1248134178
I'm still not 100% sure - it has fleas which are jumping out
Mark, i lost 3 cats torta, with what you describing i am sure the poor little one is dead :( My JooJoo had her eye out and blood out of her mouth when i saw her out side my house but her body was warm for a while after.
Bless you for not leaving her/him there. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 01:29:46 AM »
mark do you nwant me to ringyou ?

Sorry - missed this post Michelle - I am certain it is dead now. Thanks anyway  :hug: I wanted it to be as it would be in so much pain if it came round. I said to OH that I was running a purrs thread through my head when I saw it. I had posted that I always drive slow in certain roads when cars are parked all the way along as a cat can run out at any time. Rosella posted that it made her cry as she had to take a confidence course because f things like that. As I was thinking about it, I saw the cat in the gutter  :'(

It is black. I wanted to knock on doors but it was 12.30 and everyone's lights were out.

RIP poor baby  :'(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:30:29 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 01:25:02 AM »
Sorry to ask this but ...is it looking dead? like not moving, making any noise?

It is looking dead. If it had moved or made any noise, I would have gone to the vet. I am still shaking and scared of having an accident myself. I bit the bullet and put my ear right on its body despite the fleas but nothing.

I will take it and have it scanned in the morning. Do you think Willow will know there is a dead cat in the car as I want to take her back re her cystitis back. I have put the cat in a plastic carrier I had in the garden ready to throw as I haven't used it since the stray escaped from it. We don't have a shed or garage so I have balanced it on a pushbike propped against the wall and covered the carrier with  rubble bags I had in the car that Julie gave me to put down when we went trapping.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Re: HELP! - Found an RTA Cat - PROBABLE OWNER RESPONDED TO POSTERS
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:20:01 AM »
Try pinching its ears.

I kept playing with its ears and just touching the hair to see if there was any twitching. When I touched its body, to feel for a heartbeat, there was some gurling like body fluids moving around and some more blood dribbled out of its mouth  :( - I thought it was warm at the beginning but its little black pads were getting cold. its eye was almost out but not hanging and its back leg bone is sticking right out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 14:47:08 PM by Mark »

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:01:06 AM »
Sorry to ask this but ...is it looking dead? like not moving, making any noise?

Its possile its had a hard wack, from a car? that would of caused internal bleeding so death would of been iminant  :(

hum phone the vets?
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 00:59:04 AM »
Try pinching its ears.

Thank you Mark for stopping and picking the little one up, so many would have just driven by.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:07:15 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 00:56:18 AM »
I'm still not 100% sure - it has fleas which are jumping out

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 00:55:18 AM »
omg Mark  :scared:  :hug:

hum i think feel where its heart is, and also check if any air coming from mouth/nose?

Poor little one  :( argh must be awful for you  :Crazy:

Pretty much what CC has said.

I think in your heart You know its dead Mark  :hug:

I know You will get it scanned in the morning but just thought you should know that if will smell pretty nasty by then so you might want to wrap it up and keep it outside over night (somewhere safe away from foxes)

Well done for stopping though Mark  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 00:49:40 AM »
omg Mark  :scared:  :hug:

hum i think feel where its heart is, and also check if any air coming from mouth/nose?

Poor little one  :( argh must be awful for you  :Crazy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 00:49:05 AM »
mark do you nwant me to ringyou ?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
One of its eyes is almost out, blood coming out of its mouth and bone visible on a back leg. I thought I heard a gurgle when I put it down on the dining table. The only vet open is 8 miles away (vets now) - I would take it there if I thought there was a chance but pretty certain it has passed - please help and let me know if there is a way to check - It doesn't seem to be breathing and I can't detect a heartbeat.

Just went to pick OH up from station - I couldn't leave it there to get run over more of for a kid to see in the morning.

I had a mattress protector in the car from this morning when I went to the dump.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 14:48:23 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat