Author Topic: HELP! - Found an RTA Cat - RIP Black Cat - Probable owner responded to posters  (Read 6713 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
It was hard to talk on the phone and maybe I said too much but he wanted to know. I did stress that it must have been over in an instant.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Ahhh how sad for the chap .... but at least he has some closure now.  Lets just hope he goes to the vet and identifies her / brings her home to RIP  :(
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Yes very sad but I agree better to have closure....

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Well - hopefully thats closure for the owner.  Its sad, but its better to know  :(
People Power Works!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Glad the owner has been found, I know it must be gutting for him but at least he knows now  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
He said she was 12 - I thought the cat was much younger but probably hard to tell.

He said he wondered how she had got across to the other side of the railway line. I was about to tell him that I have seen several cats cross the bridge when waiting for OH at the station but then realised I had put the wrong name. I had said Station Road but should have put Railway Avenue.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 14:55:53 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
I remember when my Tilly was missing. You have no idea the number of dead black cats I went to view just in case it was her.  :'( For me I felt better knowing it either was or wasn't her. Lucky for us they never were (obviously!) but someone else wasn't so lucky.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Someone responded to the poster. He said the chances are as one of his cats has been missing for a few days and the poster was right outside his house, it must have been one of his - he said he has (or had) 2 cats and they usually always hang out together  :( - he said he will go and break it to the kids  :'(
He said he will hope against all hopes that she walks in tomorrow but deep down he knows it was her  :'( - I said it was entirely up to him but he could go to the vet to identify her. He said he would rather remember her playing in the garden. I mentioned it again at the end of the conversation and he said he will see how he feels tomorrow and may decide to go and have a look. I kept telling him that it would have been instant and she wouldn't have known what happened. He said it was a comfort to know she hadn't been lying there for hours in pain.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 14:49:25 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I would have knocked but I'm not in the right frame of mind right now so thought it best not to. It might be better coming from a neighbour anyway.
The road is quite wide even though it is a side road. The woman said people accelerate along it  >:(

Thanks for doing the poster Sam  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 20:43:44 PM by Mark »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hopefully someone will see the poster and be able to get some closure.  Well done for helping Mark  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Posters are up. I saw another lady going in her house. I asked her and she said her next door neighbour had a cat. I wasn't up to dealing with it. The post is right outside his house and she said she will ask him when she sees him.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I could add it but was just keeping info to a minimum in case of prank calls? - I don't mind either way.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
You might wish to say the cat was female as the vets confirmed this..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Not to worry - I just realised that I should be able to amend it even if I couldn't create it  :Crazy: - I don't think it was a PDF? so should be OK to change. Hope you don't mind  :hug: - better that I get the notice up ASAP so hopefully someone can get closure (best we can do  :( )

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Can't make any changes at the mo Mark ... I did it on my work computer and I've not got here at home.  I can make changes tomorrow if you want.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Sam - yes it was in the Nigerian folder  :evillaugh:

Is it set to print out as A5?

Just one little thing - would Joe Public know what an RTA is? - Also, any chance of adding Station Road so they know exactly where?

Sorry to be a pain.

Thanks

PS - that poor little cat has been haunting me. I wanted to put its eye back but didn't have the courage  :(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 18:03:08 PM by Mark »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Oh ... check you're spsam folder ... I sent it to your yahoo a/c.  It'll be from my work addy ssti at novozymes . com

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Sam - it hasn't come through yet though  :shify:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I've sent you something Mark :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Would someone be able to make me an A5 flier, ideally with CP logo on it?

Saying a black cat was found dead (in a nicer way if that is possible) around midnight on Monday night and if they believe it was theirs, to phone Canterbury & district branch on 01227 266838 for more info.
(Best not to give out too much info re prank callers)

I suppose I could do it but don't know how off the top of my head so might take me ages.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
Sounds like a good move to me  :) :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I just passed the road again and there are two old-fashioned telegraph poles in the stretch. I'm sure they must be owned by BT and not the council so they can't start making threats if I pin a little notice up on them? - it will have to be done as CP as I don't want my number on them and it will look better. I will need to clear it with Sharon first but will do that - hopefully a drawing pin in a telegraph pole doesn't count as criminal damage?  :shify:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I think this story will have to go on hold as it would involve naming the vet next door to me and I would rather slit my throat than give them any publicity. We have had to endure a dog howling in the kennels all evening and it is still howling this morning. It looks like we are going to be after suing the council for failing to do their job as well now.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
Give it a go - youve nothing to lose  - After all - Ive got someone coming at 10.00am tomorrow to talk to me about goldfish ....... ;)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
I don't think there is much of a story unless they wanted to highlight the way idiots go too fast and sadly usually the innocent suffer  >:(

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
Try a letter/email  to the local paper ? 

They might be interested in a story ......
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Believe it or not, there isn't a local shop there  :Crazy: - and this is the same area where the boy was threatened with an ASBO for putting up a lost cat notice  :Crazy: (until I got onto head office and it ended up on the news  :evillaugh: )

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,17920.0.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 18:49:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Maybe you could put a few posters up next time you go back through there - just to give the owners some closure  :hug: Edit: Maybe an ad in the local shop too?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 18:34:03 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks everyone. Paula took the cat to the vet next door. Sharon phoned them. The cat was "Female, not bad condition (except dead  :( ), unchipped"
I passed through the road on the way back from shopping and knocked on a few doors but I didn't get an answer. I spoke to a woman who was on her way out and she said she didn't know of an all-black cat in her road but would ask around.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 18:22:35 PM by Mark »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
What an upsetting experience, Mark  :hug:

Thank you for caring  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I agree with CC ..... I have stopped on a 40 mph bit of road and moved a dead fox to the verge because I couldn't bear to think of other people running over it's body!

Mark you are a saint for stopping and helping this poor baby.   :hug: :hug:  (Fingers crossed all it's little hopping hitchhickers don't relocate onto you and yours though).

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
I have stoped to pick dead birds from the road- a pigeon which I was looked at in disgust from an onlooker  >:( and also stoped to pick a seagull up off a 40mph road-I just couldn't bear the though of its body being desecrated any more, although it was dead  :(

I really dont know what I would do if I found a cat one day, that would shake me to the core  :(

I dont believe its in human nature to just walk by, I know I couldn't no matter the animal  :shy:

Well done Mark for safe guarding and giving this cat's body the respect it needed to pass over  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Sorry to read this, its a horrible thing to deal with :hug:
One of the worst i dealt with one which i was told was dead but when i picked up i could feel a breath and faint purr, sadly didnt make it in time to vets  :(

The fleas leaving is a good indication the cat has passed, but also you can check the eyes for any flickers of movement and the easiest place to find a pulse is in the groin.

What angers/upsets me about most of the ones iv collected is they would have prevented if the cats were not out in the early hours messing around in the dark  :tired: :(

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
Awww Mark,  what a lovely man you are,  so sorry you had to go through something like this,  but really and truely you are wonderful for taking the time  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
I'm sorry Mark, and bless you for stopping for this poor baby  :hug: xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Oh what an awful thing to have to see Mark, but as others have said "Thank You" taking the time to make sure and not just passing by as many would!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
Oh Mark, sorry to hear you've been through that but thank you for helping the poor soul as much as you could.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Very upsetting to deal with  :hug: My black cat Moses was run over outside my house (previous house not here), I didnt know until I opened the curtains in the morning and saw him lying there. One of his eyes was very damaged and bloody (although I couldnt see that from the window) and I rushed out there praying he was still alive, but knowing in my heart of hearts that he wasnt.  :( Its nice that you stopped to pick the little cat up Mark  :hug: Someone stopped to try and help my Heidi when she got run over, they came and found me (she had a collar and her address on) she was still just alive, but when I got there, in only a matter of minutes, she'd died, but I'm so glad those people stopped to try and help her and came and found me.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Thanks Michelle  :hug:

I know what you mean. When I thought I heard breathing, it was my own etc

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Went to bed Mark as You had people helping You...

The fleas were trying to leave the body as the body was getting cold.

I remember the guggling happening when my Storm was killed, infact it was the next morning when I picked him up to bury him and it totally freaked me out.

I also remember freaking out and having to go and check during the night that Storm was really dead

Mark I am 100% sure that poor cat was dead last night, You need EVERYTHING right  :hug:
This is just your mind playing tricks with you because you want so much for the cat not to have died

Link to CatChat