Author Topic: Record temperatures predicted this week - tips for keeping cats cool?  (Read 7136 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Record temperatures predicted this week - tips for keeping cats cool?
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »
What about the un-patented outdoor drinker!  :evillaugh:

I also have a baby bath with a quarter full of water in the garden, the puds love to get their paws wet!  :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
Seeing as Beavis like to lie flat out in the sun in the conservatory , and the hotter the better , I am letting him get on with it! Gizzy is NOT liking the sunblock on his white ear tip tho! :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 21:29:56 PM by Kirst »

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 17:55:38 PM »
Hi I've been wetting t towels or towels and putting them on the floor in the kitchen Abby was straight on it this morning ,I put ice cubes in the sink they like to bat them about
frozen bottle of water they can lick off the condensation (same goes for rabbits/guinea pigs)
Zak likes to lay in the window with his paws hanging out lol
And i do wet their fur too Abby likes it but zaks not as keen
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 18:43:41 PM by Smudgey »

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 16:38:17 PM »
I was worrying about the heat as well but my boys seem to be managing to keep cool, Charley is lying on top of the tumble drier which is nice and cool as no-one in thier right mind would have it on in this weather! Basil is sleeping in the bath and Baxter is napping under the bed. Garf is lying by the window enjoying a nice breeze.

They don't seem to be eating much wet though, seem to prefer their dry food which is annoying as they need all the fluid they can get in this heat. I may try Leanne's suggestion with the tuna and some extra water.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 14:58:20 PM »
My brother bought some window stickers that are like bird of prey that stops it happening. Not sure where he got them from.

I had a bird of prey outline painted black that I stuck on my front winsow for years - seem to work though as I had it on a bit of string I was for ever reattaching it and it got a bit battered. :rofl:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 13:30:37 PM »
When its really hot we give them a treat of tinned tuna (in spring water) and add more water to it

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 13:29:16 PM »
I do that as well but I'm not giving them any during the day as none of them eat it straight away and the flies get there first  :sick:

I relented and gave Willow 1/2 pouch but she didn't touch it so it went down the toilet.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 13:24:47 PM »
I'm sure this is a fairly obvious thing to do but thought I'd mention it just in case....  I've been adding a big slosh of water to the boys' wet food, I normally do it for the morning meal anyway but have been adding it to dinner aswell to make sure they're getting enough fluids.

Offline JeanH

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 13:19:24 PM »
When it gets too hot (which isn't very often in NE England  :)) I usually find my cats sleeping in the bathroom.  It's tiled in there so lovely and cool

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »
Can someone please tell Riley the way to keep cool is not to press himself up against me whilst I'm trying to sleep! I'm on nights so was trying to get an hours rest but with a hot furry body pressed up against me it wasn't happening  :tired:

Byron is the same! it's great in winter but being smothered in sweltering heat  :tired:

Yep Ambers the same too. Just not helpful is it.
love
Tab

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:21 AM »
Can someone please tell Riley the way to keep cool is not to press himself up against me whilst I'm trying to sleep! I'm on nights so was trying to get an hours rest but with a hot furry body pressed up against me it wasn't happening  :tired:

Byron is the same! it's great in winter but being smothered in sweltering heat  :tired:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 00:33:46 AM »
i wish jasper would take notice of any of these kind of ideas, but no, he's just a big ol grump in this hot weather.  makes me very sad cos i hardly see him!!!

wish i could help cool him down, but he wont let me  :tired:

he's also terrified of fans which doesnt help. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 00:34:24 AM by hannah (weeny) »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 17:47:33 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 17:43:39 PM »
I am staying in the basement. I stupidly left some wet catfood outside today so you can imagine the state of it when I went outside just now.  :sick:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 15:35:57 PM »
God it is really hot,  I have a stomping headache and am so hot,  I cant imagine what it would be like to have a fur coat on at all times,  I feel for my lot,  have just put a load of fans on in the house and let them lay about in the lving room which doesnt really get the sun that bad x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
I think he said it because we had the shaver out anyway!  she has horrible mats on her hind quarters both sides, she is moulting like crazy

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »
I was wondering about your lot Gillian, oh said about shaving star but there is no need, is there?

Nope!  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:51 PM »
I was wondering about your lot Gillian, oh said about shaving star but there is no need, is there?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
Most cats are pretty well adapted to regulating their own body temperatures without any help from us  :evillaugh: My lot with their thick, long coats, know exactly what to do, they stretch out flat on the floor where it is coolest and in the places where they catch any breeze.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:01 PM »
Cross posted with you, Mark -

How can I stop birds flying into my windows?
You can fix something to the outside of your windows to stop birds from flying into them. Birds fly into windows because the reflections confuse them. Some see the reflection of trees and the sky and don’t realise it is glass. By fixing something to the window you will reduce the reflection and birds are less likely to be confused.

Plastic stickers work well - RSPB reserve shops sell stickers in the shape of bird silhouettes, which are ideal. 

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/p//R0973.htm

The best I can find at the moment ....   ;)  My kestrel was simply black paper from a craft shop.  I found an image online, copied it larger and that was that  :briggin:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »
when it's sunny the birds fly straight at the patio windows  :(

This used to happen where I used to live  :(  I drew and cut out the silhouette of a kestrel (but any bird of prey would probably work) and stuck it in the middle of the window.  Result!!  The birds kept away and it also stopped small children from trying to run through the closed patio doors  :tired:

As to cats keeping cool, Mr T couldnt actually be bothered to climb on to the deckchair, but he looks pretty cool to me   :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 11:57:58 AM »
My brother bought some window stickers that are like bird of prey that stops it happening. Not sure where he got them from.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »
When I'm out I draw the curtains so the room stays cool for Byron but also because when it's sunny the birds fly straight at the patio windows  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 11:42:40 AM »
I fill up bottles with water, put them in the freezer and when frozen stick them in front of a desk fan. Then turn the fan on  :evillaugh: It seems to work and does makes the air cooler. Just need something under the bottles to catch the drips as they melt.

I bought a poor man's air-con unit off ebay a few years ago for the attic room when the B&B was open - it gets roasting up there. I think it helps a bit but hard to tell as people would leave windows open as well  :Crazy:

Basically it has a tank of water and a big pad that soaks it up - the fan blows air through it. It was only about £40 from what I remember.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
I try not to worry about this when I'm at work  :tired: they have water down and the fountain on.

Fortunately our lounge is north facing so it quite cool during the day, Milo who doesn't like the heat (he'll come in from the garden and sit in the cool) seems to sit on the landing which is the hottest part of the house, but when he gets too hot he sits under the bed. Jess is a sun god who will lay in any bit of sun he can get.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:48 AM »
yep, straight from the fridge is particularly bad in hot weather - when I say cold water, I mean run the cold tap until the initial warmth goes away. Mind you in Queensland the soil used to get so hot that even a cold shower was tepid ...

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 10:55:49 AM »
Yeh, they say cats don't like cold water and food -  I tend to give Byron just inbetween not too hot/too cold,  I don't really think ice cold is good for tums.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 10:38:47 AM »
Actually other then making sure water is down and sunblock on i am not sure what can be done, as cats seem to find the hottest place to sit anyhow..!! They make up their own minds i suppose... But eating less is probably something you notice more... The idea of ice cubes in water is good but as far as i was aware cats hate cold water to drink, they like it warm.. do they not? As with cold food... anyhow nice to see the sun and we should moan about the temperatures should we? it rare enough we get lovely weather lets enjoy it!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »
I fill up bottles with water, put them in the freezer and when frozen stick them in front of a desk fan. Then turn the fan on  :evillaugh: It seems to work and does makes the air cooler. Just need something under the bottles to catch the drips as they melt.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:17:14 AM »
I was worried about this too but Samson was very good at finding his own shade yesterday and as blackcat says he spent alot of time under a bush in the garden or under the patio set (the patio doesn't get much direct sunlight).  He also didn't eat until the evening which I didn't realise was down to being hot but will stop worrying about that now.  I refreshed his water several times throughout the day too.

I've left the lounge curtains closed today so it should stay shady in there for him.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
But as you know, in the UK, at temperatures above 25, railway lines buckle

so the 'wrong kind of heat' then? Seems to me public transport over there is not equipped to deal with weather. Full stop. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
The freezer bowls from PAH (doggy section) are quite good for keeping water cool too.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
But as you know, in the UK, at temperatures above 25, railway lines buckle and roads melt -
we are not equipped for any kind of extremes  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:38:30 AM by Mark »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Call that hot? The day I tossed the cats in the bath it was 48!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
how long is it forecast for, I want a bbq on Saturday  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
The prediction is 30o+ by Wednesday  :scared:

What you said about the sarong reminds me of my science teacher when I was a school, Dr Vasistha who said when he was a kid in India, they basically lived in a straw hut and kept cool by having a piece of wet fabric over the door frame.

He went on to work for NASA and helped develop whatever it is that stops rockets burning up when they go into space.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 09:11:03 AM by Mark »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
When I lived in Queensland I would actually put them in the bath, with cold water. Hourly. The first time they would shriek in outrage, after that they would queue for the treatment.

Also, give them the freedom to find somewhere for themselves. If they are outdoor cats then hose down a spot under a shady shrub so the soil is cool and damp. Provide copious amounts of drinking water and keep replacing it with cold water, as it will warm up rapidly and become unpalatable. Cut back on food if they don't do it voluntarily. If they are indoors I have found that a fan running behind a sarong that has it's bottom in a bucket of water results in an airconditioning effect as the water evaporates, it wicks up more water from the bucket and the evaporation process cools the moving air.

But then, it doesn't get that hot in England  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Wipe down with damp clothes, put ice cubes in the water bowl to keep it cold, for indoor cats, only open one curtain in each room so there is some shade, if they go outside they should be sensible enough to find their own shade (all mine did yesterday)
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Record temperatures predicted this week - tips for keeping cats cool?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »
I read (on here I think) about damping their fur down if it gets really hot - not sure if mine would stand for that so just wondeing if anyone has any other tips? - Our lower ground floor is quite cool (bitterly cold in the winter) I can hardly keep Willow and Kylie in the house. They are virtually living out there 24/7 and so used to each other that they seem to have called a truce after 5 years.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:42:31 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat