Author Topic: What type of cat did you look for.....and what did you actualy come away with  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Robbo

• Adult Cat
I went to a rehoming place for just a look round, one cat came up purring and licking my face lol.......'al have that one please!' lol

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
I went to rescue kennels looking for a dog and took the cowards way out; I couldnt bear to look, told the woman to bring me the one who had been their the longest that no one else wanted, I ended up with the ugliest big black girl who became the love of my life and started me off doing rescue work. I am too cowardly to ever make a choice so cats just choose me.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
I have never chose any of my cats but I think if I did go to rescue I would get an oldie thats been hard to rehome.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
I went out to the garage fir a bag of chips.... and found Mabel... :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: well that's a novel way to get a pet ;) :evillaugh:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
I always went looking for the cat that had been the most impossible to rehome for whatever reason apart from when dh came with me for the first time as I had to let him choose for once as he choose simply on looks - turns out Misha is a mummys girls  :evillaugh:

With Elvis though we went out for a bottle of wine and came back with her - does that count  :evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
I have rarely gone looking - I got Tig by default as she was the only one in the rescue, wasn't quite what I was looking for, as I was swaying towards oldies then, and she was 5 - I thought she would be the cat that I had for years while oldies came and went, but Ginger ended up being that, as she only had 8 months with me - only cat I have adopted under the age of 10. Snowy came accidentally, I wasn't going to get a second cat after Tig, but somethign made my friend take me to a rescue on teh way home, I was adamant I Wasn't going to look at the cats, but couldnt do it!! My friend picked Snowy though, as she was the ugliest oldie!! The only other cat to have come from a rescue (other than failed fosters of course!!) is Mabel, I was told the rescue didn't have any oldies, but was invited to go and see them anyway, and there was a clearly old cat in front of the fire, so I asked about her and was allowed her - despite teh fact she was only here for 5 weeks, I am glad I did.

As I foster, it is rare that I have to go and adopt a cat, and my only criteria is that they are 12+, tends to narrow things down dramatically!! I do prefer one male and one female, but since Ginger died, I have only had females. Not too fussy on colour, except I would prefer not to have a tortie.
Please spay your cat

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
The lady at CP had already earmarked Sophie as a possible for us and she was quite right - although originally we were looking for a boy. We wouldn't swap her for the world.  Obviously, with Oscar being a pedigree, we chose the breed and the colour.  He was supposed to be a blue tonk but it later became obvious that he was going to be a chocolate one which is just typical of him.  Works on the principle of  "never do what your slaves expect".

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
I went out to the garage fir a bag of chips.... and found Mabel... :rofl:

She and Indy stayed by default as CP had no room.... and I didn't try *too* hard in case someone took Indy away :Luv2: :innocent:

I 'chose' Misha from a free to good home ad... wanting a 3 month old tabby + white girl... didn't look too close as he was filthy and covered with fleas, but so thin and scraggy I said yes outta pity (foolish) luckily for me only cost £45 to sort him out including jabs...

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
i only looked twice.  first time was when i got Lupus.  i already had 2 older cats that i'd rescued and just wanted a kitten.  didnt matter what colour as long as it was male and thats what i got.  the second time was after i lost Ovis.  same thing except by then i liked them in pairs and still wanted boys.  i ended up with girls, Bean and Shenzy.

all of the others just ended up here  :evillaugh:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
When I went to CP I had an idea I wanted a long-haired cat, and they did have a beautiful longhaired girl at the time, but I looked in all the pens, and Maxy boy as the one who stole my heart  :Luv2:

Knowing what I know now, I don't think you can go to a rescue knowing what you're looking for....they defo choose you, not the other way around  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
The only time I've actually gone looking for a specific cat was when we adopted Smoke, I wanted a younger cat (not a kitten or an oldie) to keep up with Lirael (who is very energetic).

Smoke was the only one in the rescue who was under 5 years old.

And she came home with us that day. She's probably the sweetest cat I've ever owned, but everyone else thinks she's a grump!

When we adopted Lirael it was more of I wanted a cat, any cat would have been okay but I was turned down by CP via email for living on a busy road and I wanted an indoor only cat. RSPCA in York took over a week to contact us about a home check so I went elsewhere to find a cat.

All the rest it was love at first sight and I wasn't looking, it just happened!

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
I went looking for a confident kitten who was used to dogs and toddlers, and my preference would have been for a long haired boy. Ended up with an timid short haired girly, who had lived with a dog who hated cats, and never met a toddler before. :innocent: :evillaugh: Funnily enough she's settled in really well, and although we're still not quite there with t'doggies i've been taking them upstairs one at a time to meet and Ginny is the one who's happy to stand her ground and eyeball them :shify: so we're getting there. :)

Once Ginny was home i needed a friend for her, and thought i'd finally get my long haired boy :evillaugh: ended up with another girly who, though much fluffier than Ginny, is still short haired. This time i did get the confident kitty i had originally looked for.... and the mischief which comes along with that! :rofl: Penguin was used to neither dogs nor toddlers either :innocent: but with both of them toddler exposure is limited, ;) and again we're getting used to doggies slowly. :)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
NEVER WENT LOOKING.
My parents got Tibby from the RSPCA when I was 4 months old - they had a cafe and part of the reason was to catch mice if there were any.

Smudge was my neighbour's cat but he would always come to me when I was gardening and eventually Dale asked me if I wanted him and I said YES.

When Smudge went missing Sept 2007 I fostered Bonnie from the RSPCA for 4 days and I couldn't let her go.  I was given her to look after as she had been in the RSPCA for 9 months having treatment for a rash that she had and because her owners didn't take her to the vet she had to loose her tail.  It just so happened that she was just ready to be fostered when I arrived.  There were other cats but they gave me Bonnie and I am so overjoyed as we both saved each others lives.  I was so depressed because Smudge was missing and then finally found him dead in April 2008 and Bonnie needed so much loving. We were made for each other.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Well I said it needed a thread of its own  :rofl:

I went looking for a pair of cats who knew each other and were around 3 years old!

Ended up with Misa aged 4yrs and Sasa aged 6yrs who had never met each other in their lives  :rofl:

Also wanted a lap cat and neither were and still cant touch Sasa after 3 yrs!

Link to CatChat