Author Topic: Change of address on my cats (french) microchip?  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Change of address on my cats (french) microchip?
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 19:39:41 PM »
www.petmaxx.com will find out which company it is, not all are listed tho  :tired: a helpful vet can solve the problem. Once she knows the company she can update.

Sorry cant help-but i also have FiFi details but no idea how to change them to my address -otherwise she would get sent back to Wales -which is a fair drive from here .

Whats your chip start with?
Once you have the company you ask to change details,as your not the registered owner they have to contact who is and they have 30days to respond, if theres no reply they will change to you.
My friend changed her BSH this way as the old owners were peeing around, it cost her a fiver  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:05 AM »
Thanks Sharon I'll will let the original poster know :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:43:53 AM »
Microchips are the pain of my lives!! The other day we had a cat at one of the vets outside our area with a cat that was sadly killed due to RTA.. chip details were not up to date.. But the previous owners were found and we were told that the cats where rehomed via a rescue last year but she couldnt remember what rescue.. So firstly 2 cats both with wrong ID on them, one cat dead but no one can find the new owners. A rescue that rehomed them didnt change the details either.. What a mess..

I am VERY, VERY on top of chip details and do not trust the general public to do this once we rehome a cat.. I do it online via  password and access code and can update the details automatically as long as we were the rescue that implanted the chip and as long as its a identichip.. With others you have to send in a letter with our headed paper.. But i dont get many cats in our care that have been previously chipped...

Melissa, Rae Siamese was registered via a Spanish chip company and all you have to do is ring the chip company and explain. If the cat was a rescue then the rescue should help.. There may be a charge if you do this yourself and you may need to explain the situation.. But the important thing is not to leave it and dont do it..That poor puss at the vets will never be found.. due to someone not being bothered to change the details on the chip and the other cat that was rehomed is also wrong.. Despite emailing out all local rescues and vets, no one could claim to of rehomed these two cats and thus we are no wiser..

Petlog will be able to give you an idea of what company the chip is registered with usually an recent one for identichip starts with 985 while Petlog is 978. The others are Virbac, Back Home and also Avid chips.. Most have a combination of letters and nubmers. Identichip is 15 digits although some older type ones are less. Some are also encrypted...

I think sometimes the vets are just too busy to advise and assist.. they pass the buck.. but of course any chip details should be on their database or vac card. i once has to ring USA for a chip details.. (freephone) as cats or any animal registered with another chip company doesnt hold the full database of UK ones..

HOpe that helps
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 00:20:34 AM »
I was wondering about this to.  The three that I fostered all have new homes and I have their microchip details (which I keep forgetting to send to their new owners).  Do you think that they will have to get permission from the old owner before changing or ask her to do it?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 23:53:40 PM »
The vets should be able to scan and give you the details but thought if you were not previously the owner registered the comapny may have a problem changing address.

In theory if you are the registered owner you can phone up the company and change details but think they charge a fee.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 20:58:42 PM »
Me neither. Shadow's microchip has him living in NZ. I have changed it several times (it is an on=line service) but have given up now. Will sort it out when I send him back to OZ....

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 20:55:28 PM »
Sorry cant help-but i also have FiFi details but no idea how to change them to my address -otherwise she would get sent back to Wales -which is a fair drive from here .

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Change of address on my cats (french) microchip?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 20:30:54 PM »
Cross posted from CatChat ... can anyone advise?  http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/125890.html?1231877015

Hi,

I had my cat microchipped in France and need to change the address to my home in the UK - i asked the vet about this today and she said there is a tear off slip on the microchip certificate to change address. I cant remember ever being given a certificate and if i did
a) i have lost it
b) it's all in French so i wouldn't understand it anyway!
Does anyone know how i can change the address so that he doesn't get sent back to france if i lose him lol
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat