Author Topic: cat proofing our garden  (Read 6633 times)

Offline moiramassey

• Adult Cat
  • Moira's Mitzi
Re: cat proofing our garden
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 23:35:41 PM »
I also have the Securacat system. It's been in since end May and I am 100% happy with it. No escapes, not even the super-athletic Flynn (he's an pet-quality Egyptian Mau), and no other cats can get in. To be honest, most people hardly notice it until I point it out. I managed to keep three of the big trees, most of the shrubs and moved my pergola to the centre of the garden. My slide show of it is here:

As my garden is huge it cost a lot to both get the fences fixed and to get the catproofing installed. If money had been shorter I would have still bought the kits from Securacat because their system is truly excellent. My cats have 24/7 access to the garden, whether I am home or not.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 23:39:09 PM by moiramassey »

Blacken, Mini, Flynn and Mitzi
"One cat just leads to another" Ernest Hemingway

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 22:18:34 PM »
Yes, its just angled at the edges.

Its part of my garden Dawn. Thats actually at the front of the house where I have another bit of garden set back from the drive and off the back door. Its part of the garden I cat proofed when I first moved here. The cats are free to go in the rest of the garden round the other side of the house now, but I kept this bit cat proofed because I can close it off from the rest of the garden at night time - so they can still go out, but not wander out of the graden.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »
normally just angled at the edges

is that your garden Gillian??

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »

That was my thinkings too, just an idea that i found when googling. ;) I think i'll have to go down the cheap, ugly, DIY root as i can't even afford the DIY kits i don't think. :innocent:

Doesnt have to be ugly, once you've got climbers growing through the netting you hardly notice it.  ;)

Is that covering the whole garden or just angled in at the edges? Looks good :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2009, 23:23:58 PM »

That was my thinkings too, just an idea that i found when googling. ;) I think i'll have to go down the cheap, ugly, DIY root as i can't even afford the DIY kits i don't think. :innocent:

Doesnt have to be ugly, once you've got climbers growing through the netting you hardly notice it.  ;)

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2009, 22:34:48 PM »
would something like pigeon spikes work d'you reckon?

Nope and wouldnt be very nice either!

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 22:29:51 PM »
unfortunately due to the size of our garden and the hodgepodge of fencing I can't afford to catproof the entire garden so am enclosing a 15 x 18ft section (about 1/8th ish) as cheaper than replacing all the fencing and the gates... and then catproofing

just an idea for those with large or weirdly fenced gardens

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 19:29:33 PM »
would something like pigeon spikes work d'you reckon?

Nope and wouldnt be very nice either!

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:11:07 PM »
would something like pigeon spikes work d'you reckon? I am seriously considering catproofing the garden when Ginny starts to go out, i'm far too much of a worrier to let her roam.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 10:59:05 AM »
I paid £600 with DIY installation - I paid someone who put my new garden gate on - it was November and he didnt have much work on - I just thought I wonder if Andy could do it - called him and he did -took a few days but hey it's been up for 3 years now and No escapes  :) :).

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
We weren't keen on the idea either, until losing our boy to the road!  :(  Now we know that cat proofing the garden is a GENIUS idea.

Now our mind frame is totally changed, and we're looking into see whether it's possible to cat-proof the garden. It would be a DIY job, as it needs to be cheap and R would refuse to hire someone to do it (he is very handy himself and loves DIY).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:38:54 AM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »
I must admit I really wasn't keen on the idea myself I thought it looked hideous and meant cutting down a lot of mature garden but I am glad we have it now and have comprimised by growing climibing roses up the fence and tying them in just under the netting to sort of hide it

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 09:06:33 AM »
Brilliant thanks everyone.

I spoke to Hubby about it and his not keen on the idea, so I've told him that he'll have to spend time watching Milo in the garden then to make sure he doesn't escape!!!!  :sneaky:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 23:53:42 PM »
Would anyone mind telling me know much something like this would cost??

I believe the secur-a-cat DIY kits are around the £300 mark although I know her courier prices have been put up drastically which affects the end price so best to contact Roz to get a more up to date price if you're interested.  Her email is Securacat@aol.com

I put up mine with a little bit (OK, a lot  :evillaugh:) of help from my brother in law.  It's time consuming rather than hard work but well worth the effort. 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 17:07:02 PM »
a friend suggested right angled brackets on the fence posts and wire in between. would this work and what sort of wire is best?

You'll need a bigger angle than 90 degrees, netting is better than wire as it wont support a cats weight  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 17:05:26 PM »
our diy version cost £100 in money and a weekend in work!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 16:54:35 PM »
You should pm Roz for an estimate Leanne.  Mine cost £1500 which included her two installers coming up north from Norfolk and staying overnight.  However Roz does sell the kit for diyers.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 15:30:33 PM »
Would anyone mind telling me know much something like this would cost??

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 14:41:04 PM »
I've got the securacat system too, also had it installed last May.  Charlie has done his best to escape but hasn't managed it and neighbourhood cats have done their best to get in and they haven't managed it either

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 14:20:04 PM »
bramble  - I have something similar to what your friend has suggested, the brackets came from wickes and we got clemetis netting in between, the netting is stapled to the fence below  it has been up around 2 1/2 years with no escapes!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 14:13:29 PM »
I can highly recommend secur-a-cat too, the system relies on having existing fencing (ideally 6ft).  I've had mine up since May and it's great to be able to let them out without worrying about the road, dogs, evil humans.

Offline bramble

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 14:08:26 PM »
thanks for the info. your cat proofing looks brill! will look thru the other info on the other sites later  just off to walk our dogs! thanks again.  bramble

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 14:04:29 PM »
the following thread might be of help:  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4802.0.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 13:19:23 PM »
I have my garden catproofed with secureacat. Roz who posts on here is the owner of the company. if you drop her an email I am sure she could sort you out.

I have had my garden done for 3 years now. heres a couple of pics  :)

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline bramble

• Adult Cat
cat proofing our garden
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 13:04:29 PM »
 we have 3 rescued cat and wonder if anyone could give us any advice on the best way to cat proof our garden. a friend suggested right angled brackets on the fence posts and wire in between. would this work and what sort of wire is best? 2 of the fences are ours but the one to our left belongs to next door. be grateful for any advice.  bramble

Link to CatChat