Author Topic: Whiskers oh so meaty- is it any good?  (Read 6518 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Whiskers oh so meaty- is it any good?
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 21:48:17 PM »
We stick to Felix foils and pouches (we do any flavour that is in Jelly and doesn't contain bunnies).

That could be in any product not just rabbit flavours, eg chicken flavour has 4% chicken aswell as other misc meats whatever is available at the time, you dont get many single meat source foods in everyday brands  >:(

Whiskas Oh So is on offer in pets at home at the moment for those of you with cats that eat it

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2008, 16:46:22 PM »
Max loves it, he has it as an occasional treat  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2008, 16:22:03 PM »
well my 2 used to like the oh so meaty's best (even more so than any of the other more expensive ones) but I had to mash it up or they just licked round it.  (Apart from they always have some fresh chicken, fish or whatever meat we have every day) Anyhow I feed lots of ferals and was using Whiskers supermeat and gave my 2 some one day and they preferred it to any other (neither have teeth though) they love it so they get that - which is what they want.

I got the whiskers supermeat tins last week as all ours have a tin of a night time to eat and to graize on if they want during the night and they love it,I would definately say they prefer them to the "normal" pouches but I  like to give them variety also incase they get too bored with the one thing :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 15:55:05 PM »
well my 2 used to like the oh so meaty's best (even more so than any of the other more expensive ones) but I had to mash it up or they just licked round it.  (Apart from they always have some fresh chicken, fish or whatever meat we have every day) Anyhow I feed lots of ferals and was using Whiskers supermeat and gave my 2 some one day and they preferred it to any other (neither have teeth though) they love it so they get that - which is what they want.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 15:56:15 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 15:45:24 PM »
Since when do you have tortoises Mark? :shify:

Hello! - is there anyone home?  :evillaugh:

Tortoise shell cats  :evillaugh:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12104.0.html

oops sorry hadnt seen that thread before :-[
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »

Hello! - is there anyone home?  :evillaugh:

Tortoise shell cats  :evillaugh:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12104.0.html

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »
Memphis keeps being sick with hi-life  :scared: He's had it a few times before, but the last couple of times I've given it to him he's been sick straight after  :shocked: It's not that he's eating too quickly either (this is Memphis we are talking about LOL), it's literally just a couple of small mouthfuls then it comes straight back up!

We stick to Felix foils and pouches (we do any flavour that is in Jelly and doesn't contain bunnies).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 10:21:22 AM »
comparing to Felix and other brands (supermarkets own etc) I think Whiskas Oh So's ingredients list is ok - there is no added sugar or artificial flavoring.

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 09:08:39 AM »

Mine love it and like tigerbaby I have to watch they wont get too fussy about eating anything else(especially rameses) so I am limiting oh so now to once or twice a week as I just cant afford it all the time,last week Rameses got really finiky about his wet food and only licked the gravy and I know he was holding out for some oh so but he aint had any for about a week therefore he's realised he's either gotta eat his felix/whiskas(normal stuff) or just his jwb biscuits :evillaugh:  I'm a cruel meowmy I know :-[
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »
I'm glad I only bought one box of meat and one fish "Oh So" senior as none of mine will eat it. Nor will the two torties that come begging - even the hedgies are leaving it untouched, along with the senior AGAIL  :tired: - I am sticking to regular felix senior and regular felix from now and make up with good quality dry.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 08:15:26 AM »
Amo - just be careful with HiLife, and check the packaging carefully as not all of their food is complete. If you get teh complimentary ones, they can either be fed just one meal a day, or every meal as long as they eat a decent amount of dry alongside it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 08:12:03 AM »
I don't know about real prices as I buy mine at cost, which is about half price what's in stores. Mum runs a pet shop. But I find hi-life is pretty good value, it's not much dearer in the wholesalers than whiskas. It has great quality ingrediants. I mean you can look in the tin and say "Oh that's deffinatly chicken meat. Oh that's squid. Eeeew PRAWNS!" you can identify the meats. Plus the tins are up at around 60% The tin sizes are pretty much pouches. Single servings and they're quite generous.

Whiskas...smells like someone threw up in it and I have no idea what meat they use. Especially as whiskas do something called "Origional flavour" which I'm convinced is horse from the colour.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 08:06:46 AM »
Doesn't go down particularly well here, my friend kindly got me both Senior varieties and Zi is very fussy - think Molly would eat it but she is only allowed Senior food once a week. Mind you, Zi is fussy with all the other Whiskas Senior varieties, there is really only the supermeat she likes. I also agree that it is very expensive and doesn't really have great ingredients, it is only 14% - think last time I was in PAH, it was only about 30p dearer to buy a box of NM, which is better value as they are bigger pouches.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amo_angelus

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
I will never ever buy my cat whiskas. He was on it before I got him and while he liked it he did smell, his poos smelt, his fur was scraggy, he didn't look half as healthy as he does now... Whiskas ingredients churn my stomach, and I am of the opinion that if reading the ingrediants makes me feel sick, it's not healthy for the cat. I will only feed my cat something that I would eat myself. Albeit on a dare, but still, I would eat it in certain circumstances. If I'd say no to a dare to eat it then it's not worth feeding my cat.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 23:37:35 PM »
It's crazy how particular our cats can be!

I won't buy Oh So unless it's on offer, as it is expensive (comparing to how cheap Hi Life is). The worry now, is that whenever I put Hi Life in Jamesons bowl he'll sniff at it and walk off.. and I really have to stick to my guns not to change the food. He will eventually eat it, but I know that if I gave in and fed him Oh So instead he'd happily eat that...

Got equal amounts of Oh So and Hi Life and trying to alternate the best I can, to ensure he gets the best diet possible. I give him quality dry food too so it's all good really.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 23:32:58 PM »
So far it's the only food Memphis has ever turned his nose up at. He won't touch it!

Pearl and Toby give it a firm paws down too.

A fair while back I bought some while it was on offer and ended up donating virtually all of it to CP as both P & T looked horrified when I tried to feed it to them. Like chez Casa Gilly, the primary wet food of choice is Felix (pouches and foil trays).

In fact Whiskas in general (apart from the treats) gets the paws down here at Casa Witty. Doesn't help that Whiskas gives Toby the skiddums.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 20:53:32 PM »
Mine dont like it, they will only eat Felix pouches  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 20:03:06 PM »
hehehe He likes to be different!
Jerry seems to get the runs with anything other than Felix (and Purina dry) so thats all I ten to buy now.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 19:40:04 PM »
So far it's the only food Memphis has ever turned his nose up at. He won't touch it!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline heather-kitty

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 19:11:04 PM »
Mine love the Oh so fishy and oh so meaty! I also stocked up when they were half price at Sainsburys!  ;)

Heather

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 17:49:48 PM »
I think it's expensive for what it is.  It's not a particularly good quality food (despite having a higher meat content than the standard whiskas).  I bought some of the senior variety recently for Jaffa - he is allowed a certain amount of junk food each week  ;) - and he loves it.  He loves everything though  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 15:52:29 PM »
I actually posted a topic about Oh So a while ago - same with Jameson - he absolutely adores the whole Oh So range!! Infact, he used to go crazy over Hi Life Essentials, but once I gave him the first pouch of Oh So he has a new favorite food! He gets really excited about his meal times, and will always lick his bowl clean.

Jameson was never keen on fishy wet food (tried Hi Life tuna, salmon pate, Feline Fayre etc) and he turned his nose at all of them. Was a bit wary of buying too many boxes of the Oh So Fishy but turned out he goes bonkers over that too. So all good!!! (he loves herring!)

Hi Life Essentials is actually cheaper (£2.88 for 12 x 85g pouches, as opposed to Oh So; £4.19 for 12 x 85g!), and with a higher meat content (50% as opposed to 14%), so when I saw the recent offer in Sainsburys (half price!!) I stocked up and bought enough boxes to last for at least 6 months. Bought all different types: Oh So Fishy, Oh So Meaty in sauce, Oh So Meaty in Jelly and the mixed packet of both Oh So Meaty AND Oh So Fishy.

I still give him Hi Life a couple of times a week. Otherwise he'll get Oh So Fishy for breakfast, and Oh So Meaty for his tea. (all with free flow of PAH premium bisquits)

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
Whiskers oh so meaty- is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 14:19:10 PM »
I feed a variety of foods so they don't get bored but picked up whiskers oh so meaty the other day on offer (I don't normally feed usual whiskers) but thought the meat content was obviously higher than usual so worth a try. They LOVE IT!!! They are far mroe interested than usual and just wondered what others think about it?

Link to CatChat