Author Topic: Cat-sitting - one of the cats is missing! UPDATE - HE'S BACK  (Read 7187 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Cat-sitting - one of the cats is missing!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 15:39:47 PM »
I was hoping to read that he had sauntered back.  If he is that way inclined, he's more than likely taking advantage of this lovely weather to have a bit of an outing, but it is such a worry for you  :(  :hug:

Other neighbours may be able to throw some light on his likely whereabouts?

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 14:27:49 PM »
I would agree not to contact them as there is nothing they can do.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »
No don't contact his owners as there is nothing they can do (been there and its heartbreaking being so far away, you feel useless)

I think the leaflets is a good idea, i would also start getting some posters up.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
He's not back  :( I've phone round the local vets this morning to see if he'd been brought in, but he hasnt, anyway they've taken his details just in case. I'm going back round to the house shortly to check if he's back. I've had a walk round the immediate neighbourhood and called him, rattled his dish etc.

I'm going to print out some leaflets to start putting through doors if he's not there when I go round in a bit.

Now, do I contact his owners? (they're abroad on hols, but contactable) and completely spoill their holiday, when he might still turn up, or do I wait a bit longer? They're back on Wed early hours.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 23:16:19 PM »
Awwwwwwww another Harry  ;D

Trouble is that if he thinks there is no food for him he may have gone somewhere where they will feed him..........sigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 23:07:17 PM »
Oh dear what a problem, you dont need it  :hug:

I can understand that they need access and so would mine.....is there a chance he has slipped back and eaten and then gone again?

No, they get fed (wet food) morning and evening, which they are normally all there for and its eaten straight away (bit like my lot LOL!). They don't have dry food down. Of course I don't know exactly how long he's been away or if he's been back, because I last saw him when I fed them Thurs eve - he was there when I left at around 6pm.  He may have been gone right through the night, or he may have been in all night and just gone out this morning before I came. The Harry's of this world are destined to cause me trouble - yep, he's another Harry LOL!  :evillaugh::evillaugh: 

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 22:51:51 PM »
Oh dear what a problem, you dont need it  :hug:

I can understand that they need access and so would mine.....is there a chance he has slipped back and eaten and then gone again?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 22:22:48 PM »
The neighbour's been in to see if he was there, but he wasnt. Theres not much I can do tonight I guess. If he's not there in the morning when I go round, then I'll start phoning round the vets, and having a walk round the roads, but I'm hoping he will be there - gonna be a restless night I think!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 19:41:46 PM »
My neighbours cat did this a few years ago on the one and only time I've ever offered to cat-sit on holidays.  Its such a worry, you know they are probably fine, but there's always an element of doubt.

I'm with Ela, if I ever do it again, they need to keep their cat (now cats plural) indoors to ensure they are safe, but in all honesty I hope they don't ask again as it was too much of a concern that they were safe.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 19:18:06 PM »
I do hope he puts in an appearance PDQ so that you can stop worrying  :hug:

I would guess he does this a lot, in fact, so try not to panic too much.  Easy for me to say, I know.  Is he one of the younger ones or a prime-of-his-life sort of chap?

I can't remember exactly how old he is (its in the file, must check that when I go back!) but he's youngish (not the youngest) and a bit of clown LOL! He's the one that usually leaves me little presents of birds, mice and voles! This is the third time I've looked after them and he's not been gone for this long before, but your'e probably right and he'll be back.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 19:10:29 PM »
I'm sure he will turn up soon. Our cat also does this from time to time.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 18:59:38 PM »
I do hope he puts in an appearance PDQ so that you can stop worrying  :hug:

I would guess he does this a lot, in fact, so try not to panic too much.  Easy for me to say, I know.  Is he one of the younger ones or a prime-of-his-life sort of chap?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 18:49:59 PM »
Hope he has returned safe and sound, what a worry.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 18:47:25 PM »
These cats always have 24/7 access (ranging in age from about 18 months to 17yrs) - they'd go completely stir crazy if kept indoors for a day, never mind the 9 days of this particular holiday!

I've asked the neighbour to phone me if he does turn up (she's got a key as well) - heres hoping.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 18:27:44 PM »
I do hope the wonderer soon returns, but it is exactly why when I cat care I will only do it if the cats are kept indoors.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
Cat-sitting - one of the cats is missing! UPDATE - HE'S BACK
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 18:09:36 PM »
Its bad enough if one of your own goes missing, but when its one you're looking after!!!

He was there when I left them yesterday evening, but when I went in this morning he wasnt - I didnt worry too much because he did that once before when I looked after them and he was there when I went in the evening. But I've just been round to feed them, and he's still not there - now his owner did mention that he'd done this recently - stayed out all day and evening, can't remember when she said he came home, but anyway he did eventually. I also spoke to the neighbour and she said he does this from time to time - but I can't help worrying. I stayed there around an hour and fed the others etc, hoping he'd come back.

They have a catflap and 24/7 access, think I'm going to go back a bit later just to check if he's there or not, but if he's not I'm really going to be panicing - because as I said, with your own, you've sort of got an idea of the places to start searching - but of course I don't know where he goes - he's a bit of a hunter too.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:00:44 AM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Link to CatChat