Author Topic: Distance between cat shelves - advice  (Read 7061 times)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Re: Distance between cat shelves - advice
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2008, 13:25:41 PM »
Well the first shelf is up and Digby and Riley are well impressed. We have another one to go up tonight but then have to wait for the next delivery of shelves as some were damaged on delivery. Will keep you posted.

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2008, 19:56:47 PM »
They look great.  Can't wait to see the pics. :Luv2:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2008, 19:23:34 PM »
i would love to see photo s when you,ve done it,im going to have ago at making the stairs one whith a platform at the top
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 19:13:27 PM »
The apartment therapy website is where I got the idea, but you can't really tell how far apart they are. I am doing it on one wall to start with and if it looks good and works I will do it upstairs too.

I have got walnut shelves and am putting some matting on with velcro so the cats don't slip of the other end!

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2008, 17:37:08 PM »
ive just been looking at the pictures with the steps and platform round the room, what a fantastic idea, im just about to redecorate my lounge and dining room so thats a good idea escpecially for my oriental as she can jump and climb for england, ,i have loads of wood so im going to have a go and make my own ;D wish me luck :)
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 17:22:41 PM »
That's true. And now I think about it, Digby can jump on the kitchen counter without any help! I will experiment tonight and see how it looks.

We will want to see pics once its done, preferably with cats in mid leap!  ;)

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 17:14:26 PM »
That's true. And now I think about it, Digby can jump on the kitchen counter without any help! I will experiment tonight and see how it looks.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 17:03:40 PM »
I think a bit further than 25cm would be better, even 50cm will still be easy for them to hop between them. Can the cat who 'isn't so brave' jump up on the windowsill or your bed?  I bet if you measure those they're much higher than 50cm...

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 16:49:38 PM »
He really wants a grandchild not a grandkitty!

:rofl: told my parents years ago that it was going to be down to my sister to give them grandkids!  She said that she already knew that  :rofl:

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 16:47:26 PM »
Let's just say he doesn't understand why I would want to put shelves up to create a wall for my cats, buy cat trees and have a whole cupboard for cat toys. But I think it is the fact that when he comes over I make him use one of the upstairs bathrooms because the downstairs one is for the cats that really takes the biscuit!!!

He really wants a grandchild not a grandkitty!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 16:42:00 PM »
can't help but love the idea of eye rolling dad!!

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
Distance between cat shelves - advice
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 16:39:28 PM »
I am putting up a cat climbing wall with shelves, (with help from my eye rolling father). But I am not sure how far apart to put the shelves to give the cats enough of a challenge to jump up, without being too high. One of my cats is quite athletic but the other is not quite as brave.

I was thinking of stepping them up at vertical intervals of about 25 cm (not quite a foot) but maybe that will make it a bit boring and they should be further apart.

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Link to CatChat