Author Topic: Insurance mare!  (Read 6669 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Insurance mare!
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2008, 21:13:05 PM »
Tha Axa quote is prob right - my two are just over a tenner each. I know it is hard when you are on a budget but I just had to make sacrifices in other areas as getting stung with vet bills and not getting them more is worse...for me anyway as my plastic has already had a thrashing!!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2008, 16:45:47 PM »
Just did another quote with Axa and it still came to £10.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2008, 14:52:11 PM »
Imho you need a pro-active vet too. Sometimes if they call the insurance co to argue a (refused or partially refused) claim for you, it can really help. I also think the vet's nurse who deals with claims can know which companies are good and which are best avoided. Basically all insurance cos won't pay if they can get out of it !

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 14:21:03 PM »
Last time I checked was Dec/Jan this year. So I will try another quote now, thanks Den. Fingers crossed!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 14:10:50 PM »
The problem with Axa is that it would cost me just over £11 per month, I am on a very stretched budget. I think PetPals do a similar deal to Axa's but is slightly cheaper. I decided I would go with PetPals when I can afford to, I think they do a policy that would cost me £8 per month. I pay £5 now with Healthy Pets.

Have you checked out AXA recently?? Memphis is with them and he is £92 a year which is something like £7-£8 a month.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 13:29:57 PM »
The problem with Axa is that it would cost me just over £11 per month, I am on a very stretched budget. I think PetPals do a similar deal to Axa's but is slightly cheaper. I decided I would go with PetPals when I can afford to, I think they do a policy that would cost me £8 per month. I pay £5 now with Healthy Pets.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 16:08:13 PM »
I find insurance policies so confusing and I keep having to read them out loud to myself and still don't understand them. I settled with Healthy Pets in the end - will dig out the papers to see what they cover, but they turned out to be best for us when I was looking. (last year)

You would get better cover with AXA, healthy pets offers upto 1k, 3k or 5k per condition so once that limit is met its no longer covered. They call it life cover as it doesnt have the 12 month time limit but it isnt a renewable pot each year.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2008, 20:17:56 PM »
I think it is good that everyone can at least share their experiances - that way people who don'tknow as much pick up some tips. I certainly wish I had found purrs before I insured bertie - I was so naive and had no idea about the one condition rule or the 12 month rule - or how important it was to find one that covered for life! I would rather pay double or triple the premium for peace of mind!  :-:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2008, 19:37:36 PM »
I find insurance policies so confusing and I keep having to read them out loud to myself and still don't understand them. I settled with Healthy Pets in the end - will dig out the papers to see what they cover, but they turned out to be best for us when I was looking. (last year)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 18:33:14 PM »
That is so sad Caledonia and hope that AXA like Petplan would not act in this way.

I have to say I was with Sainsburys for years and Kocka used to do the rounds of unexplained illnesses........a bit like virus, she was said to have a blood infection and am sure that we went round the hoops a number of times but I always got paid.

You maybe right that how the vet words things is very important and at the end of the day, any query about an illness should be dealt by the insurance company and the vet.

Certainly as owners are now tending to be more insurance aware, and of course we hear others experiences on Purrs, we tend to come to a sort of concencus that one company has better insurance and better payout conditions than others. WE all zoned in on M&S a couple of years ago and now tend to be doing the same for AXA after we got stung by the former, its all veryt hard.

I think that AXA because they are the underwriters we are slightly better off with them........but in two years time , who blooming knows!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2008, 15:47:19 PM »
Thats where petplan are good as they will consult the underwriters during the call with any dates of treatments and they decide then and there if they will put an exlcusion on the policy or if they will cover you, know exactly where you stand then  ;D

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »
I think it can depend on the insurers!!

Bertie became withdrawn Xmas 2005 and went off food and just became very lethargic. Vet investigated everything and they could found nothing wrong and thought that he basically would pass away through lack of food as there was nothing they could do. He had anemia also which they thought was a result of whatever was casuing the problem - which they didn't find out. Then after a wee shot of valium his appetite picked up, then over the next week his blood count improved then he was fine.

Was fine for the next two years - no symptons, no sign of anemia and blood counts all fine. They finally attributed it to a unknown viral infection. They explained that anemia is normally caused by something else, in this case an unknonw infection.

Then same thing happened Christmas 2007 - same symptons and then anemia - again they said it was something unkown. They thought the two instances could not be related as there was two years between them - nothing would go into remission for that long (they said) and again they thought an unknonw factor was casuing the anemia. Eventually after he deterioated his bloods were so bad they said there was nothing they could do.

Tesco didn't pay out the £600 plus in vet fees as this was a pre-exisiting condition they had already paid out for more than 12 months before (they have the 12 month rule!). So despite vet thinking the two things were unrelated because they both resulted in anemia I was not covered!

Lesson learnt for me - I will never use Tesco again!!

Sorry that was rather long winded but just wanted to explain sometimes you never know how it can go!!

The two conditions do not have to be related, if the symptons are the same or similar it may depend on the wording of your vet and your insurer - tesco took 3 months to say no after "doing all they could" !! >:(. I just gave up as I was so upset at having lost him!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »
If tests have shown no problem and by not using front line has stopped the reaction, she has no pre-existing condition, so you should be able to change insurance without a problem.

I am with AXA and pay:

9.19 for Franta a pedigree
9.97 for Ducha his brother but did him first....dumb me so doesnt hav discount!
6.56 for Sasa a semi-feral now about 9 yrs old or is it 10!
5.69 for moggyman Misa aged 6-7 yrs old now.

have made one claim for Sasa and it was paid out with no problem.

Offline Puffball (Louise)

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 00:51:20 AM »
I have an insurance quandry too. My insurance is expensive, £15 per month for Willow with Sainsburys. I thinks it's because I am in central London with busy roads but there is no reductiion for the fact she's an indoor cats with no chance of escaping!

My new ktten is with Axa (also £15 per month) which is per condition per year and I wish I had done this for Willow but her Sainsburys insurance is per condition for life. Twice Willow has shown balance problems, she was also shaking her head and scratching her ears a lot (not ear mites), so the vet sedated, x-rayed and fully investiagted her ears which showed nothing abnormal. The next step involves scans which are very expensive and her symptoms don't yet warrant putting her through that. But I noticed that on both occasions it was after a Frontline treatment. The vet said it's rare but some cats have a neurological reaction to meds and as she's an indoor cat he recommended I stop treating her for flees which has solved the problem. However, Sainsbury have paid out £190 for investigations into this undiagnosed condition, so I am worried that if it is something more serious that has not yet shown itself, having the symptoms investigated will count as a pre-existing condtion if I change insurers . Has anyone been in a similar situation please?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 23:00:21 PM »
Yep Axa have prob went up a bit but I still found them to be the best after getting my fingers burned with Tesco with Poor Bertie!!

Oscar and Edgar are both 11 with pre-existing conditions and started with Axa in february at just over £10 each for them a month. I realise they have pre-exisiting that is not covered but Axa ceratinly seemed to give the best quotes. A few I found were quite misleading which you read the small print and realised how big their excess was!! :doh:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 20:37:26 PM »
Mthly premiums with Axa for our little tribe
Thomas age 18 £9.81 p/mth renewal 28 Aug 08 (gawd nows what renewal premium will be but have so far claimed almost £400 and 1st claim paid without delay, just put in the 2nd claim)
Freddie age 6 £5.27 p/mth renewal 26 Sept 08
Billy Whiz is 4 this month  :Luv: £6.04 p/mth renewal Nov 2008
Noni Baroni 19 mths old £6.21 p/mth renewal July 2009

I think much depends on when you switched to Axa and premiums have likely increased over last 12 months.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 19:59:45 PM »
Ah right.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 19:56:28 PM »
i am surprised yours are £7ish a month each Helen, Mabel is £9.93 with the 5% discount, and she is 12.

I think £7 is the cheapest it gets with Axa (one is £7.01 and the other is £7.12) - don't think I've seen anyone on here with a much cheaper quote from Axa.  I know when M&S were underwritten by Axa their premiums were based on location (I'm SE) aswell, not sure if Axa do this though.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 19:55:00 PM »
Memphis is £92 for the year. I don't pay per month.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 19:52:20 PM »
No, they only quoted me £14.95 for Zi last year at the age of 17. Molly is £13ish now (no claims on her to date).
Please spay your cat

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 19:49:05 PM »
Maybe that's a good thing Des! shows they don't agree with putting the premiums up by hefty amounts just because your cat is in its 'senior' part of life lol

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 19:46:40 PM »
i am surprised yours are £7ish a month each Helen, Mabel is £9.93 with the 5% discount, and she is 12.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2008, 19:41:28 PM »
I'm with Axa too so each and every year I get 7k to spend on vets bills, at the end of the first year the pot re-sets and I have another 7k to spend.

Your 'per year cover' when it resets every year does it cover continuing long term illness....I can't seem to see reference on AXA  :-:

Yep, it covers illnesses for 'life' as long as you pay the premium for the policy each year.

What we will pay - All reasonable costs for Treatment of Your Pet by a Vet for Illness, Condition or injury up to the Maximum Benefit of £7,000 per Period of Insurance

What we will not pay - 14. Continuation claims unless You have paid the premiums to keep the insurance in force.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 19:39:36 PM »
this is definitely the one for me then I think! and with the 5% discount on the second one (both yet to be named I'm afriad) I can't go wrong!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2008, 19:37:58 PM »
As long as you keep the premiums paid you get cover for life on illnesses that start after the 14 day period - so the sooner you start the better

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2008, 19:29:22 PM »
yeah AXA seems to be coming out as the best for me to lol. (£7ish)

I'm with Axa too so each and every year I get 7k to spend on vets bills, at the end of the first year the pot re-sets and I have another 7k to spend. 

Your 'per year cover' when it resets every year does it cover continuing long term illness....I can't seem to see reference on AXA  :-:

Thanks Helen for sorting out my post  :) you would think I'd have got the hang on it by now!!!!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2008, 19:20:14 PM »
Definitely per year rather than per illness...  I'm with Axa too so each and every year I get 7k to spend on vets bills, at the end of the first year the pot re-sets and I have another 7k to spend.  I think if you need to spend more than 7k per year then you probably have to look at quality of life anyway.  I pay £7ish each for my male, 1 yr old cats.

I appear to have posted this topic twice..... maybe my brain has already exploded :wow: any chance a moderator could remove the other one please lol

Can't delete it but have locked it so all posts are on this one thread  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 19:21:10 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 19:15:50 PM »
Thats a good premium for a ped candice  :wow:  mine would have been that before discounts.

Hannikat - look at AXA and Petplan, they are the best imo, other companies are gradually doing a m&s type treatment to their customers  >:(

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 19:10:57 PM »
Candice, Sainsburys have changed their policies, think it is up to £7,500 now, but they have also increased the excess to £125, so I have just changed mine to AXA,

Trouble is Des she'll have a pre-existing condition so I think I'm stuck with them

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 19:09:56 PM »
£11.99 per month

But when you take into account the fact that I've claimed £8500 in the last 18 months its pretty good!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 19:09:37 PM »
Candice, Sainsburys have changed their policies, think it is up to £7,500 now, but they have also increased the excess to £125, so I have just changed mine to AXA,
Please spay your cat

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 19:05:18 PM »
The per illness per year are the better ones - but make sure they are for the lifetime of the illness.

Fabes is insured with Petplan - he has £6500 per illness per year for the life of the illness.  So at the start of each policy year the pot goes back up to £6500.

If you don't mind me asking...What sort of monthly premium are you paying on Fabes then?

I'm not sure - I'll just check

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 19:01:29 PM »
soooooo. the ones that say £7000 per year, axa for example, isn't a big pot that refilled to £7000 each year and you claim against various illnesses (say claiming two illnesses out of the £7000 pot) using it thoughout the year its really a per illness pot as well? god this is confusing :Crazy:

AXA is £7,000 per year for all illnesses, then the following year you have a fresh £7,000 which covers everything including any ongoing conditions.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 19:00:49 PM »
I appear to have posted this topic twice..... maybe my brain has already exploded :wow: any chance a moderator could remove the other one please lol

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 18:59:05 PM »
The per illness per year are the better ones - but make sure they are for the lifetime of the illness.

Fabes is insured with Petplan - he has £6500 per illness per year for the life of the illness.  So at the start of each policy year the pot goes back up to £6500.

If you don't mind me asking...What sort of monthly premium are you paying on Fabes then?

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 18:57:24 PM »
soooooo. the ones that say £7000 per year, axa for example, isn't a big pot that refilled to £7000 each year and you claim against various illnesses (say claiming two illnesses out of the £7000 pot) using it thoughout the year its really a per illness pot as well? god this is confusing :Crazy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 18:54:27 PM »
I have AXA which I love.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 18:53:45 PM »
per year is better than per illness.  per year means that each year that amount is renewed whereas per illness means that once you've used up that amount for a particular illness, they will pay no more.  So if your cat develops a chronic illness, there is a good chance you will end up paying for any treatment yourself once you have used up the amount they will pay.  With the per year policies, they will pay that amount each year for any illness. 

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 18:48:45 PM »

Foofoo is with Sainsburys which is £6000 per illness for life.  So if she got an illness once the £6000 was claimed that would be it.

Unfortunately she is too old for Petplan to insure her so i've got to stick with Sainsburys.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 18:21:31 PM »
We've got our moggies insured with Petplan, they're really good in my opinion. We've got our bunny insured with them too :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Link to CatChat