Author Topic: Cat trees  (Read 6922 times)

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
Re: Cat trees
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 16:01:35 PM »
That last tree is amazing. I didn't see anything like that on ebay when I looked. Unfortunately, its also mush bigger than I had room for.

Mine finally arrived from Zooplus and I really like it and the cats all took to it immediately. It only cost about £36.00 with their reductions and the discount voucher and their usual free delivery.

Offline sunama

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 02:26:19 AM »
I got mine from ebay.

It cost about £75 inc delivery.

It gets regular use from 2 very active/athletic cats (Egyptian Mau and Bengal). Both of these cats are around the 3KG mark, so they are not too heavy yet. The tree does shake when they are galloping up and down it And when they are fighting, the tree shakes quite violently.

Its about 8 feet high, but as my ceilings are higher, it doesnt touch the ceiling.

So far, I'm very pleased with what I bought and the price was excellent. Zooplus, et all are rip-off merchants. Their profit on these items must be significant, bearing in mind that I only paid £75 for mine, which is a larger item than anything Zooplus have.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 21:59:14 PM »
Thanks for that Dawn
I can recommend those as i have 2 Kalven ones (had about 5 years now)
2 of the outside ones from Cat play stations and 5-6 different ones from Russell hardy.

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 20:22:38 PM »
Thanks Horza :) Thats exactly what I need, the little devils are scratching the sofas even though I have plenty of cardboard scratchers out  :tired:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 09:07:59 AM »
and the Scratching Barrel Diogenes.  Has anybody bought either of these before?  What are they like?

I bought one of these and it gets used everyday, mainly as a scratching post as it has a sisel like coating and it looks great in the lounge

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 01:06:49 AM »
Here's a link for the Kalven ones, they look fab  :wow: and also the indoor/ outdoor ones.

http://www.kalven.co.uk/pagoda.htm

http://www.catplay-stations.com/index.htm

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 01:05:39 AM »
Well I bought 3 of the large ones;

Edited to remove hyperlinks as they just wouldn't go right.....

All for £109 with the 20% off! I decided agiainst a ceiling one because I really couldn't find one that I could trust to be stable with 2 5Kg cats using it!  :Crazy:

« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 15:08:18 PM by koscha »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 01:01:30 AM »
Hi Try typing in Catplaystations - they have good outdoor scratchers ( i have 2 of them ) and they go to cat shows -around £45 upwards.
Also Kalven cat scratchers and Russellhardy as i have bought from all these and can highly recommend.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 00:44:39 AM »
I got this one from zooplus a few months ago, and if I get one again it will definitely be another of these.  They are sturdy and all my cats love it, also got one of the one's below but although cats love it, I wasn't as impressed  :tired:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/37560

and the other which isn't as good:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/13537

ccmacey

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 00:39:27 AM »
Jack dont want to name any names  ;)

I would love one of those cat bamboo posts that are for the garden, like the ones at cat shows. Anyone know where I could get one?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 22:46:11 PM »
I have used them myself and my service was not too good. They sold me an out of stock item and I didnt get it till 6 weeks later.

Do you mean Albany Pets, CC?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 22:35:42 PM »
ooo welldone!

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 21:47:33 PM »
I could only afford this as I started a new job last month, and thats my new pay rise gone :D

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 20:01:02 PM »
ooo i love the banana ones they look so cute! bit out of my price range though!

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 19:04:12 PM »
http://www.cattrees.co.uk/index.html

Has anyone tried these people?

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 17:00:03 PM »
Well over the past 2 days i've spent over £175 on zooplus (using the link from here :))

I ordered the Banana-Leaf Cat Tree Paradise, and the Scratching Barrel Diogenes.  Has anybody bought either of these before?  What are they like?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 15:56:47 PM »
I have used them myself and my service was not too good. They sold me an out of stock item and I didnt get it till 6 weeks later.

I hate it when companies do that, then they offer you an alternative that costs more  >:(

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 00:28:38 AM »

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2008, 21:18:17 PM »
I've seen quite a few people have ordered from them but I have the difficulty with ebay shops that its never very clear whether UK delivery includes Northern Ireland and if it doesn't then they tend to charge a fortune for delivery. With Zooplus NI is included in the standard UK delivery charges so had none to pay on this.

BTW - I ordered it through the link from bottom of main page.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2008, 20:53:31 PM »
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AlbanyPetsLTD

I've not used them myself but have heard good things about them

hth
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 20:26:41 PM »
well I decided to go for something completely different - I've ordered this one instead and hopefully the width rather than the height will make it more stable and no hammocks etc sitting of a midway point on a single post. I've looked at every tree on Zooplus and never one want to see another one again now. :Crazy: :rofl:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium/15128

Thanks for the input - helped a lot and stopped me from going in circles looking at them over and over again.

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 19:36:48 PM »
Oh butter... i've gotta have a rethink too as this was the one I was planning to buy! My boys are weighty (RW is 5.5kg) so may have to look at the others...problem is its the only one I can find on zooplus that comes in a colour to match my decor (has to be white, red, black or grey)

Arrrgghhh!  :Crazy:

Was just thinking if a couple of wires attached from the hammock to the platform above would help take the strain??

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 14:30:42 PM »
Susanne - that is definitely the same one. Thanks for the advice and the pics. Back to the drawing board then but need to make my decision before 24th June - I've already been mulling it over on and off for a month.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 14:25:17 PM »
Yup - I think zaragosa is the one I had/have.  The problem is that the hammock is attached in such a way that it just can't take the weight of an adult cat without some extra support.  Jaffa isn't a huge cat  -  he weighs 4.8kg.  It was great at first, but you can see in the pic below how his lying in it caused the whole thing to buckle.  I think you'd be safe with one that doesn't have anything like a hammock hanging out over the side.  Alternatively, you could attach the hammock to something secure for some extra support.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 14:18:44 PM »
Susanne I was just about to order one and logged in here to follow the links. Thought better check the posts first and not sure what to do now. I think the one I opted for is the one you have - Zaragoza? It would fit perfectly into the space I want it for but don't want to waste the money on it if its going to break like that.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 22:14:32 PM »
I bought a ceiling high one from zooplus but was not impressed.  It works as MM says.  The top section is adjustable so you adjust to a length so that the top is pressing against the ceiling and the pressure holds it in place.  Except it didn't work for me.  Might be to do with the nasty artex stuff on my ceiling, but I did choose a flat bit of ceiling to attach it to.  I just couldn't get it tight enough.  It really hurt my hands twisting the bit at the top to lengthen the post and no matter how tight against the ceiling I thought it was, it was still easy to pull away from the ceiling so it didn't hold it in place.  Then there was the problem with the hammock.  That may have been related to the fact that it wasn't tight against the ceiling, but is more likely due to the design of the posts and hammock.  For those that don't know - see below for what happened to mine!  Although zooplus did send me some replacement posts, I've never put it all together again.  It is still in 2 pieces with one of them tied to a bookcase with string!  It looks daft but the cats like it like that so for now I'm letting sleeping cats lie.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 21:04:59 PM »
I dont think you fix into the ceiling, i got the impression the top bit spins up and you twist it snug to the ceiling but i could be making that up  :shy:

The one I have does this!  :wow: It does help with stability!  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 20:36:35 PM »
Have you seen that you can get 20% off all cat trees at Zooplus  :wow:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,15773.0.html

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 19:30:14 PM »
I dont think you fix into the ceiling, i got the impression the top bit spins up and you twist it snug to the ceiling but i could be making that up  :shy:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
Cat trees
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 20:22:15 PM »
I have 4 cats and 1 small and 1 medium scratch tree that need replacing as they are getting a bit worn looking. Have been looking through Zooplus now for a few weeks and was thinking of ordering La Digue but they have put the price higher again on it. One of my cats likes to be reasonably separate from the others so I was thinking if I went for a larger tree she might make more use of it again. She always used to love lying on one. So now I am considering one of the ceiling height trees but have never had them before. Would anyone recommend them and do they have to be fixed to the ceiling?

Link to CatChat