Author Topic: good uk cat food  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: good uk cat food
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2008, 20:28:42 PM »
No, she is really picky with things in her food, she wouldn't try normal bran. She is fine with Lactulose though, but wont allow Katalax.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2008, 18:07:50 PM »
Have you tried nutifyba?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
Perfect Fit was between 1.4% and 2.1% depending on which flavour it was, the only one that is close to that is Asda Tiger Senior, but only comes in one flavour and 4% meat. She might just hve to have daily lactulose.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2008, 16:55:31 PM »
Fibre 0.5%.

Applaws chicken and pumpkin is 1% fibre  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 20:20:37 PM »
Ooh, I haven't seen those yet, must have a look. I have to find a new food for Molly now Perfect Fit has been discontinued (although I do have plenty of boxes in!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 17:06:01 PM »
Their other one "Tiger Complete" is a rubbish cereal & colouring type that I wouldn't give to my cats.

Thats the one i could see, vast displays of garish packaging :sick:

I got a few 100g trays of "asda tiger select" ingredients meat and animal derivatives (turkey 26% min) minerals various sugars. So not an amazing food but middle of the range, at 39p it would be about the same price as natures menu (probably not as rich) Theres pieces of real turkey in it  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 08:27:39 AM »
Yes it is called Tiger Select.

I just looked on Asda website and it's not there  :Crazy: - Maybe they have discontinued it?

When I bought it, it was a long term offer. Normally £3.75 for 1kg but it was about £1.75 offer price. Maybe it was clearance?

It's a shame as the ingredients were really good. At the time, I wondered if it was made by Burns as it looked at smelled the same.

Their other one "Tiger Complete" is a rubbish cereal & colouring type that I wouldn't give to my cats.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 08:12:28 AM »
MArk said it was Called something like Select on another cat food thread, I will try and remember to look when I go to my local one. I rarely get that far on the food aisle in my Asda, as it is rare for me to buy biscuits from the supermarket.

I have found very few cats who will turn it down, so buy it in 20 pouches at a time. It has helped loads of cats. Mine are the opposite, they dont rate the chicken one too much. I still have some tuna left from when it was £2.50 a box last year (I dont let them have tuna more than a couple of times a week).
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 22:47:51 PM »
I dont think they do contain other meat to be honest Mark, as they would have to state it in the ingredients. It could be more than 4% of each meat, as it is a minimum, but they could just put 4% in and woudlnt have to put any more in, which is why I try and avoid them - although now Perfect Fit has been discontinued, I need to source a new high fibre food for Mol, as Asda Tiger Senior was the only other one I found (although I did stock up on PF as it was being sold off in the garden centre yesterday - have about 7 boxes!!).

According to the pet food manufactureres association, they will have more than 4% meat, but I find it hard to believe they have much more.  If a chicken food has to contain a minimum of 4% chicken (wow  :shify: ) then I doubt it has much more than that otherwise it would surely say so.  Given that meat is an expensive source of protein, I doubt they'd voluntarily include more than they are legally required to unless it was a specific selling point.  And if it contains significant amounts of other meats, then I'd also expect it to say so.  But the bottom line is, it could have any amount in but they aren't telling us.  If it has much more than 4% meat in I think they're missing a trick by failing to tell us.  Esp with the number of premium foods now on the market claiming to have 50% and above meat content. 

http://www.pfma.org.uk/faqs-ingredients,-legislation,-etc/een-on-the-label-4-of-meat-.htm
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 22:49:05 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 17:01:38 PM »
I looked in asda for the mentioned dry but could only see the tiger range which is cruddy   :shify: maybe its only in some branches  :-:

If they willl eat it Des thats great, when i gave it to george he nearly passed out from the shock  :Luv: not even the current piggies are keen  :shocked: They like the chicken essentials tho, so cleared the shelf of that, my reciept was huge  :-[

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 21:29:58 PM »
Hi-life is indeed a life-saver its the only thing I can hide Henry's medicine in. If I put it in chicken or even normal tuna he refuses it and it's then a mad rush to stop Charley eating it. I am however thinking about switching to a better dry food as the only wet food Charley eats is chicken or tuna (he'll eat anything really as long as it's not on a plate and called cat food).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 21:20:38 PM »
I think the Asda food might be called Select, but I could be getting that mixed up with another supermarket!!!
MM, I dont like the look of cat tuna, but HiLife Tuna and Salmon has got some of my cats through bad times, so I always have a stock now, it is very rare for a cat to turn their nose up at it. And the HiLife Essentials converted Zia from a dry food only cat to one that will eat both (at 17, I didn't like the idea of her eating dry only, she already had suspected liver issues).
I use the Turkey and Rice JWB, it is the most popular flavour, and I occasionally buy small bags of hte other flavours for a change. Surprised that NM is cheaper though, but I haven't seen it for sale individually for ages now.
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 20:14:21 PM »
James Wellbeloved was a success here. Jameson wolfed it all down in one go. Natures Menue less popular, but he still ate it! I didn't realise it was all 'minced' up in the pouch, Jameson likes chewing on bits of meat, especially because I mix it with water. It went a bit too water-y.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 20:14:59 PM by jamesonsmum »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 17:19:02 PM »
Cat tuna is manky, all the darker bits that humans dont want to eat  :sick:

If whiskas and felix had more than 4% meat it would say so, it would make the product better so they  would use it to their advantage. They only put 4% in because thats the legal minimum to be able to call it what ever flavour.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 15:36:36 PM »
I had a look last time I was there but couldn't work out which one it was.
Yesterday I bought a small bag of James WB, turkey and rice, to try out. I also bought 3 pouches of Natures Menue to try (3 diff flavours) since Jameson didn't like the tuna Hi Life (which is going to Moses!). I was quite surprised to see that the NM pouches was 40p each to buy separate, and they were selling Whiskas pouches for 45p! From what I gathered, NM are more expensive than Whiskas.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 07:51:54 AM »
TBH, I am not sure, I dont ever get as far as the dry food section in Asda, but Mark mentioned it. If I remember, I Will have a look.
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
Desley, which Asda dry food is it you're talking about (the 'not so bad' one). I might look it up next time I'm there.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 07:54:54 AM »
Cat food is a boggling area. The only 2 things I would say about what you are feeding them is that Feline Fayre is complimentary, not complete, so shoudlnt make up 10% of their diet, and it depends on which of the Asda dry foods you use, they have one that is poor quality and one that isn't too bad. If you shop in Asda, you might want to look at the HiLife essentials range - the pouches seem to always be on a 4 for £1 offer, and they are complete (50% meat I think - Mol's on my knee so can't check) - but only in 2 varieties. If they like them, you can then get the boxes for £2.88 (but only one flavour in a box).
Please spay your cat

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 00:59:18 AM »
I have to say my mind boggles when I read posts about cat food, and it makes me worry that I'm feeding my boys what they need (if you watched them eat you wouldn't think it though).

I feed them 4 times a day mainly because my 14 year old Henry tends to eat too fast and has on more than one occasion made himself ill (he was checked over by vet so we know its nothing serious we just give smaller meals more often). Between the 2 of them they get through 2 100g pouches of asda cat food (which is about 8%) and a 170g tin of feline fayre tuna or pilchards which has a 50-70% meat content plus the dry stuff, again we use asda complete. Had a look at zoo plus but seriously there is too many different cat foods at different prices and I really don't want to be chopping and changing their food. Really what I want to know is if feeding them a lower meat product in the morning is kinda ok if I'm feeding them a higher meat content in the afternoon?

Sorry if I rambled :P

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008, 21:29:36 PM »
Welcome back btw and hope your mom is recovering well.
Think you have me confuddled with someone else   :shocked:

Whoops a daisy. When you get to my age, that's wot tends to happen :Crazy:  That part of my comment was aimed at melysion's initial post.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 19:36:17 PM »
I dont think they do contain other meat to be honest Mark, as they would have to state it in the ingredients. It could be more than 4% of each meat, as it is a minimum, but they could just put 4% in and woudlnt have to put any more in, which is why I try and avoid them - although now Perfect Fit has been discontinued, I need to source a new high fibre food for Mol, as Asda Tiger Senior was the only other one I found (although I did stock up on PF as it was being sold off in the garden centre yesterday - have about 7 boxes!!).
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 17:07:22 PM »
A very good quality dry food is Pets at Home own one  - not the basics one but the one that is about £7 for a 2kg bag. It is often on special offer, usually over Bank Holidays. The ingredients are top-notch. ie the chicken flavour has poultry meat meal which is better than poultry meal that a lot of other premium ones have. It also contains Yukka & rosemary extracts which are also a good sign. I think a mixture of that with felix or Whiskas is a pretty good diet. I think Whiskas, Go-cat, felix, supermarket own dry (basics ones) are really bad as they are full of wheat flour & colouring. I saw a box of kitten food for 37p in Sainsbury's last week and thought it must be absolute shite and how anyone could think of feeding it to a growing kitten is beyond me. It may keep a cat alive but I think a lot of later illnesses are down to poor diet. You can still give a cat a good healthy diet for less than 50p a day if you shop well.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 17:08:57 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sd123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 16:25:39 PM »

Think you have me confuddled with someone else   :shocked:
Mew

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 16:25:22 PM »
I was just thinking about the 4% thing yesterday. I'm sure they contain more meat than that. I think it has to contain a minimum of 4% of whatever flavour it claims to be. This is probably a legal requirement. The pouch of Felix I looked at says "Ingredients - meat of which minimum 4% beef" for the beef flavour. I guess it is possible they actually contain other meat?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 16:11:49 PM »
I think 100% dry may not give enough moisture if puddy doesn't drink sufficient water which is esp important the older a cat gets in case of poss kidney probs (you mentioned Honi is 11?).  I think usually the general consensus on here is a mixture of wet and dry which is what our three are on. 

I've not heard of Joe & Jills. Ours eat Felix pouches (just realised yesterday that the meat content is only 4% whether it's normal Felix or Felix As Good as it looks altho AGAIL is alot more expensive  :Crazy:) and either Science Plan or James Wellbelloved for dry (altho I know it's useless stuff, we mix in just a little bit of Go Cat coz ours seem to like it).  I originally went for Science Plan and JWB following recommendations on here!

Offline sd123

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 15:32:03 PM »
I currently feed Honi and Darcy on a mixture of whiskas and Joe & Jills dry food.  They get fed at 5am (automatic feeder) then again around 6pm.
I'd love to move them just onto dry food as its easier and less smellly (and cheaper as we're on a fairly tight budget) but not sure if its healthy or not.  I hear some people say only wet food is best, some say just dry food is fine and others say a mixture is best.  What do you all think? 

I used to use sainsburys dry complete food but i think its only flavouring and derivitives and prefer to give them better quality food.

Joe & Jills (Joe Inglis from BBC Vets In Practice) dry food is expensive (not as expensive as Iams - but I refuse to buy that stuff anyway) but the cats love it.

I want to move onto a better feeding regime but no idea what food to get for the best. 

Honi cant eat anything with gravy as its often too rich for her stomach and Go Cat makes them ill for some reason.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mew

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 20:33:18 PM »
I would suggest having a look at the zooplus site (link at the bottom of this website).

My lot get Royal Canin Siamese dry and applaws wet or Felix speciality.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 17:59:26 PM »
There are some recommendations for wet food here

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13359.0.html

For dry, I would recommend Orijen (available from zooplus), Hi Life and James Wellbeloved.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 15:51:21 PM »
I feed Jameson Hi Life Essentials and he loves the Chicken variety. It comes in Jelly and the meat content is 40 or 50%, I can't remember.
We used to feed him Opticat, which is from Lidl and comes in Gravy and he absolutely adores them (prefers them to Hi Life) so we're sometimes alternating between those,  as the Opticat pouches are easier to mix with water and he seem to prefer them.

I am on the lookout for good quality dry food now, but it has to be reasonable priced - I hear James Wellbeloved is a good brand.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 15:52:19 PM by jamesonsmum »

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 14:28:46 PM »
I go for high meat content, I feed Lily 'Nature's Menu' pouches (70% meat, I think) and Nutro dry food.  I recently looked at whiskers and felix and their meat content is about 9%, big difference!

Offline melysion

• Adult Cat
good uk cat food
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 14:24:35 PM »
Long time no see. I've been busy as my mum had an op recently but hopefully i can come here more often now.

I'm always after good quality wet and dry food for my boy which is available in the UK.

What would you guys suggest are the best brands and why?

Link to CatChat