Author Topic: Cattery or pet sitter?  (Read 6992 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Cattery or pet sitter?
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 11:52:20 AM »
Glad you've sorted it out Helen..So are you the last sister in line then ???  Me thinks a purrs dating agency definately in order  ;) :evillaugh:

I think its a good idea for every pet owner to check out and satisfy themselves with a cattery tbh..whether its holidays .. and lets face it not many of us will or want to opt out of hols for the rest of our pet owning lives, or unexpected things like hospital stays or having to go and care for someone in the family etc , we just never know when it might be necessary to have that back up plan.  My cats havent had to go in but i know where i'd put them if need be  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 10:36:30 AM »
Well, it was a long time ago but the memory's still quite vivid. The owners (who had shown me around as I went to check out the place thoroughly before we left) went away leaving the cattery in the charge of their adult children and didn't of course tell us that. We had to come back early from Spain as I was really ill so we arrived to pick up the boys 3 days early. They hadn't got any water in their cage, the food was obviously old, uneaten and crusted and it was obvious that neither of them had eaten or indeed groomed themselves for the week we were gone.

That's awful!  Did you report them to FAB?

I use a non FAB cattery and they're great.  Definitely lots of individual care and attention.  As soon as I return and walk into reception/the shop they recognise me, remember which cats are mine and are able to tell me in detail exactly how they've been.  It does seem to be a bit of a lottery though.  I've looked at many that I wouldn't leave my boys at if you offered me a million pounds.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:22 AM »
I always used a lady called Gill Stampe in London. She followed my notes to the letter regarding different food for each cat. Coley I had cooked and frozen into bags was taken out of the freezer in the morning and put in the fridge ready to feed in the evening. She also opened/closed curtains turn lights on & off, fed plants and made sure no yellow pages etc left on step. Usually when I came back, Kylie was out enjoying herself  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2007, 09:38:46 AM »
Well, it was a long time ago but the memory's still quite vivid. The owners (who had shown me around as I went to check out the place thoroughly before we left) went away leaving the cattery in the charge of their adult children and didn't of course tell us that. We had to come back early from Spain as I was really ill so we arrived to pick up the boys 3 days early. They hadn't got any water in their cage, the food was obviously old, uneaten and crusted and it was obvious that neither of them had eaten or indeed groomed themselves for the week we were gone. So much for the loving, individual care and attention!  That's the brief version! They came home and went completely mad (they were young then) for about a day so had clearly been mega stressed. After that, we decided no more catteries so when we did go away - not often - got someone to live in. That's really hard to do; finding someone to come and feed is far simpler. Of course, we've taken them with us when possible too. With our boys, they prefer that to being left alone and fed. In SA we had a wonderful, doting elderly woman who used to live in and cry buckets when she left (she used to send them cards  :hug:).

I guess a lot depends too not just on the quality of the cattery but the temperament of the cats. My cousin has always used a non FAB approved cattery for her cats, where the owner she says is just brilliant.  She goes away a lot so has had to find a solution.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2007, 17:39:55 PM »
well its no holidays here since Kocka and cats came into my life  so nearly 15 years and counting.

What was horrendous about the FAb one?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2007, 17:14:58 PM »
Sounds like you have a wonderful sitter! I'm sure they'll be happier at home, particularly as you've had nervy issues to deal with.  If you are planning a longer holiday, I would say to get them used to a cattery early on though if you want to go the cattery route eventually.  Having said that, I put my boys in a FAB approved cattery near Gatwick once and it was a horrendous experience. So you end up either paying ££££s for someone to live in (unless you have a wonderful, amazing neighbour/friend/catloverslave who will come by several times a day or night) or you can never go away on holiday, thereby condemning yourself to sunny Blighty every summer for the next 20 years...... :shocked: or worse  :Crazy:  :help:

Does your sister not want Lukey and Riley at her wedding then?!  :wow:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 15:23:34 PM »
Well, pet sitter is booked (did contemplate abandoning them with nothing but a bowl of biscuits as suggested but somehow decided against it  :innocent:).  When I go on proper holidays (ie 1 week/2 weeks) I'll probably go the cattery route rather than petsitter but it would be way too stressful for them just for 2 days.

Different sister by the way Lynn erm I mean CurlyCatz :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 14:01:17 PM »
I was just about to ask a newbie why they have a pic of Cody - then I saw the number of posts  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
The older they are when they first go, the more stressful it will be for them.

And on owner i think also.

I suppose its the same feelings when you have to leave a child at playschool who has never been separated from you for 3 years .. well sort of similar thing.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 10:18:32 AM »
When I lived in London, I had a petsitter who came twice a day. It meant that Kylie could do her regular stuff which usually meant spending the day on a garden shed backing onto the garden 2 doors along  :evillaugh: - I think she was happy with that arrangement  ;D - I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 10:12:03 AM »
I personally would have someone to come in at least twice a day.

Also more and more catteries nowadays do not like short term bookings and some will charge a minimum of 4 or 5 days.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2007, 09:57:07 AM »
Actually - Lynn makes a good point about catteries.  I think if there's any chance you might need to use one in the future, it's not a bad idea to get them used to it while they're young.  The older they are when they first go, the more stressful it will be for them.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:32 AM »
Are you going to catch the bouquet this time Helen ?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 09:27:21 AM »
I wonder if any of these are any good?

It's the National association of registered petsitters

http://www.dogsit.com/needasitter.html

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2007, 09:18:53 AM »
Blimey helen your sister getting married again...already !! that was bloomin quick after the last one  ;) :rofl:

Well in this circumstance i suppose a pet sitter would be ok BUT if you chose a good cattery, the boys are young and healthy i do think you should get your head around them having to go to a cattery at some point so the sooner you are happy and build a relationship with an establishment the better.  God willing you'll have them for another 20 odd years which is kinda a long time to go without a holiday or being prepared for unexpected senarios ie hospital stay etc.

Just my opinion though  :shy:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 23:20:47 PM »
I would get a pet sitter for your peace of mind. Perhaps you could shut some of your rooms off so there would less chance of mischief :evillaugh:

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 20:41:21 PM »
Fill up two bowls with dry food and give them enough water and just go!!  (I can see this thread getting me in trouble)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 14:22:29 PM »
I would go for sitter every time.

Some cats seem to take to it but I would never put any of mine in one. I know a cattery owner really well and she takes very good care but I think catteries are a last resort. For a home-loving cat I think it would be horrible.

I would go the cat sitter option for a short period, so as to avoid the upset and stress of the journey to and from the cattery, but in general I think it depends on the cattery and the cats.  For me, I'd always choose a cattery over the cat sitter.  Apart from my concerns about allowing a stranger free access to my home (even with references and police check it would still worry me), I only have one door between my flat and the main door of the block of flats.  However careful a cat sitter is, they cant' know my cats like me and I'd be worried sick that Mosi would get out as he's very quick and devious!  It would also be impossible for a sitter to spend enough time playing with Mosi unless I paid them to spend several hours there, and that would mean him looking for trouble or picking on Jaffa a lot.  Then there's Jaffa who's very shy.  He'd hide under the bed so the sitter wouldn't get a chance to make sure he's ok and it would be difficult to make sure he ate as he would probably be unwilling to come out even for food so Mosi would eat it all.  He's nervous at the cattery but they are very good with him and he does come around after a couple of days.  And I'm not creating negative associations with home.

So for me I'd always go the cattery option.  It gives me peace of mind apart from anything else.  When I've been away for one night before, I have left them alone with food in auto feeders (Jaffa and Magpie - not done it since I had Mosi) but I don't think I'd leave them alone for that long now as after Magpie's sudden death from a blood clot, I'd worry too much something would happen on the first day and one of them would be lying there dying for nearly 2 days.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 14:00:48 PM »
I'd definitely go the cat-sitter route.  If it's tricky for someone to pop in, how about taking them to stay with a friend?  My friend's cat Tigger is staying with me ATM, in the spare room, where he is enjoying a luxury 'break' with ensuite facilities and a panoramic view of the allotments!  Truly, he is very relaxed and happy :)

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 12:52:13 PM »
I just hope you can find a friend near by or nice neighbour who can be trusted, and to check on them daily (a couple of times a day if possible!), I am sure your boys will be much happier and feel more secure in their own home.  In addition to being without their meowmy, but if they had to be stuck in somewhere strange, I think they will be very stressed.  If a cattery is the last resort, you would need to do some checking and it is of quality and your boys will receive a deserved attention and care.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
For 48 hours I'd leave them at home. I do with mine and get the lady next door to pop in and empty Boopy's litter tray a few times a day (she likes her tray absolutely spotless) and give her some treats and I make sure just before I leave that Bilbo has got clean litter trays and enough food and water outside for him to be ok without needing anyone to go into him (our neighbour worries that he might escape out of the run if she opened the door) and the lady pops some of his treats through the mesh onto his climbing frame for him to munch.

For longer periods of time I just make sure I book cat suitable accomodation and take them with me on holiday. On the one occasion Bilbo and Tigger had to go to a cattery for a week last year I made sure it was near where we were staying so I could visit them every other day. Bilbo adores going to a cattery (he used to do mini breaks to one last winter/spring when it snowed in Leicester!) as he gets lots of people paying attention to him but I think Boopy would hate it if she ever went as she doesn't do confined spaces.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
I echo this.. 2 nights better to have a sitter. Lexy was 4 nights without me and I was a wreck, but knowing that she was home and not in a pen in a cattery made me feel better. 

Though Lexy is much calmer than the boys  :naughty:  Riley in particular may raid the fridge for his veggies and Lukey will be searching for his Da Mousey...  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 11:29:35 AM »
I would go for sitter every time.

Some cats seem to take to it but I would never put any of mine in one. I know a cattery owner really well and she takes very good care but I think catteries are a last resort. For a home-loving cat I think it would be horrible.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 10:32:59 AM »
I would go for a pet sitter personally, we have a friends who stays over
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
For 2 nights Helen, I'd keep them at home. If you can get a pet sitter great but someone calling in twice a day (with strict instructions to play with Da Bird for as long as poss to exhaust them) should be fine.   

Yes, I think I've been swayed to pet sitter.  The pet sitter I had for Tiggy was great, if I trusted her to give Tiggy all her tablets and squirt lotions and potions into her finely mashed food (I gave her 2 A4 pages of 'user instructions' for Tiggy  :shy:) then I can trust her to feed, water and exhaust the boys!

You will presumably have to leave them for longer periods in future and it will be a good practice run to see how much demolition thay can cause in 2 days.  I remember my near neighbours' 2 gingers when they were wee devils and they have outdoor access. Just be prepared for  a big clear up when you come home  :evillaugh:

Oh definitely, much as I love them I won't be going without a holiday for the next 20 odd years  :evillaugh:  It was just a bit of a shock as the thought suddenly popped into my head that they would have to be left, hadn't really considered it since I've had them as haven't thought about next years holiday yet!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
For 2 nights Helen, I'd keep them at home. If you can get a pet sitter great but someone calling in twice a day (with strict instructions to play with Da Bird for as long as poss to exhaust them) should be fine.  You will presumably have to leave them for longer periods in future and it will be a good practice run to see how much demolition thay can cause in 2 days.  I remember my near neighbours' 2 gingers when they were wee devils and they have outdoor access. Just be prepared for  a big clear up when you come home  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 22:31:49 PM »
I was leaning towards pet sitter but dread to think of the mischief they'd get up to without my calming influence  :evillaugh:

That's exactly why I prefer Mosi in a cattery - I dread to think the trouble he could get up to if left alone for 48 hrs!  ;D

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 21:55:24 PM »
For one night I would use timer dishes lots of dry food all over house and also trays and they should be fine  ;D

It won't be one night though Gill, well it will but I wouldn't be there for at least 48 hours.  There's no way I'd leave them that long without being checked - food and litter tray issues aside!

I was leaning towards pet sitter but dread to think of the mischief they'd get up to without my calming influence  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 21:50:50 PM »
For just one night I'd leave them as Gill suggests, but with someone popping in to make sure they're alright (esp as they'll still be young tearaways by next summer!).  For anything longer, I prefer a cattery but that's because of my specific boys purrsonalities and the fact that I have a good cattery.  I know some people prefer a cat sitter so that the cats can stay in their own home, but that wouldn't work for me.

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 21:49:47 PM »
When I go away in September Biscuit goes on her holidays too, to a lovely lady who runs a lovely cattery. This is because I go away for about a week maybe eight days, but when its only a couple of days/nights that I'm away I get my friend (a lovely elderly gentleman) to come in twice a day to feed and play with her. I'm actually going away over Christmas and as much as it pains me to do so Biscuit will be at home with her pet sitter, but I don't think she'd enjoy the drive to Cornwall !!! But I think they'll both enjoy it as he doesn't have much family so they'll keep each other company.

Not much help with your decision Helen but it shows that there's positives to both options.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 21:39:18 PM »
For one night I would use timer dishes lots of dry food all over house and also trays and they should be fine  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 21:35:54 PM »
one night, I would go with the pet sitter, easier on them and you. I have a three day training course in Surrey in January so they will be having someone living in...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Cattery or pet sitter?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 21:33:02 PM »
I've just found out my sister is getting married in the summer,  my first thought was 'how lovely' but then my stomach churned over at the thought of the boys going to a cattery.  They've chosen a country hotel around 150 miles away (3 hrs drive according to the AA route planner) so not really feasible to drive there, have a wedding ceremony and evening reception then drive home.  I know it sounds silly but I feel physically sick at the thought of leaving them.  Obviously I have to though so now my dilemna is pet sitter or cattery...

The closest decent cattery is about 20 miles / 25 mins drive away, as Tiggy got older it was more appropriate for her to stay at home with friends/family caring for her and last year I had a pet sitter who did the morning shift and my (other) sister did the evening shift. 

I'm trying to figure out what to do with the boys - a pet sitter visiting twice daily would enable them to stay in their home environment but can they be trusted for two days mainly on their own.  The other option is a cattery but as I said it's a fair distance away so not only will the drive be stressful but then they'll be in a room that is effectively the size of a bedroom and I wouldn't leave them shut in the bedroom for two days!

So, your thoughts please - cattery or pet sitter?

Link to CatChat