Author Topic: How much does your adult cat eat?  (Read 9589 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: How much does your adult cat eat?
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 15:17:33 PM »
My lot have to wait for loo trip but they all come with me to make sure no time is wasted. They rather that then being wee'd on  :rofl:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 10:14:51 AM »
I get up, feed Mig, answer my own call of nature and brush my teeth (this morning Memphis tried walking around the bath but slipped and fell in, his face was PRICELESS  :rofl: :rofl: ), then I make my way downstairs.

He follows and Meows and makes his unique sqeaky sounds. I let Molly out for her wee. I get her brekkie ready, sort out Memphis' half pouch .. at this point they are sat next to each other looking very patient. I put Molly's food down then get followed by my squeaky boy who gets his breakfast ... then all is right in the world.
What he eats does vary, at 4.5 months he gets between 1.5 - 2 pouches a day (half a pouch a meal). It's more like 1.5 these days over three meals. Then I just leave a small amount of JWB for the day (which he devours) and he's growing like a weed  :shocked:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 07:36:33 AM »
I am definitely cruel, mine have to wait until I have showered before I feed anyone. It's quite easy at the moment as they all eat upstairs.
Please spay your cat

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 01:02:17 AM »
My Smudge is missing at the moment but it sounds like I'm not the only one who runs downstairs crossed legged to put some food out for the cat!  He always has a bowl of Go Cat biscuits - fill it up when going down.  As soon as his dish is empty I put some more tuna in (sometimes 3 small tins a day) or 3 pouches of Tesco's own make or Wilkinson's own make - I've tried him with everything else.

My 1st cat, Tibby lived to be 26 yrs old and all she would eat was pilchards in tomato sauce - 1 large tin a day.

Mary   :yawn: :catluv:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2007, 21:31:33 PM »
With mine it's like saying how long is a piece of string  :evillaugh: None of them finish a meal but are always ready for another  :Crazy: Unless I weighed the leftovers, there is no way of telling  :-:

Yup that's our house too.  They always seem to be eating but must be very slow as it doesn't seem to go that fast.  :doh: Just realised Mark, like Freddie, Clapton is a little challenged in the teeth department ain't he?  Coincidence?

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2007, 21:22:32 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: Even though I don't have a pelvic floor (or ceiling) :) I still have to get the boys their wet food before answering any call of nature in the morning because they make so much noise expressing their hunger in no uncertain terms ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 21:27:30 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2007, 21:07:46 PM »
OO Gwen I admire your pelvic floor muscles....mine follow me in the toilet  :evillaugh:

:rofl:

I think Jaffa thinks he's underfed.  He'd eat twice as much given the chance.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2007, 19:31:31 PM »
OO Gwen I admire your pelvic floor muscles....mine follow me in the toilet  :evillaugh:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2007, 19:28:36 PM »
The first thing I have to go in the morning when I get up,even before going to the loo is put some biscuits down for the cats,they just get under feet so much when its feeding time and boy do they know the time too,3pm they are sitting about meowing and 9pm too,its official,cats are pests :evillaugh: :shify:
Love me,love my animals.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2007, 19:26:40 PM »
Tiger was the only one that really pestered for more, so Molly must be happy with what she gets, she rarely asks for more.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2007, 19:24:59 PM »
You can definately overfeed a cat Des, but underfeed them  :shify: do you really think that any age cat would let you get away with that  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2007, 19:05:34 PM »
I must underfeed mine, dont think we get through anywhere near 30 pouches a week - they are older, inactive cats though!! I do have over 100 pouches in at the moment, shall see how long it takes us to get through them!!
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2007, 14:17:56 PM »
Mine get through 31.5 pouches per week and I only have the 2 of them.  I do use tins sometimes but quite often that's small tins (eg applaws) so more expensive rather than less!  You can't get many tins these days, and not in the brands I feed.  Thank god for bozita in the cartons and animonda in the tins though - helps keep the cost down.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2007, 13:31:58 PM »
also I don't have transport and tins are pretty heavy.

Well, tin hauling may be an excellent plan B just in case this doesn't work out for you, Alfie and Frankie

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=8515.0 :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2007, 13:21:15 PM »
Hiya,

I tried tins but this only works if they all like the same thing and they each have different tastes and I think that the pouches are better quality, also I don't have transport and tins are pretty heavy.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2007, 13:15:12 PM »
Mine older ones have only been on pouches a year so hopefully they will go back to tins,if not then I think I'll have to starve inorder to get plenty of pouches,see I am the ultimate cat slave :evillaugh:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2007, 13:12:28 PM »
Gwen....I have 8 cats and they wont entertain tinned food....what used to happen before pouches? The cats know u know  :sneaky:

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2007, 13:09:42 PM »
Hiya,

The boys get a pouch of wet food each in the mornings (usually Felix but sometimes Whiskas), fresh biscuits during the day and again at night and another pouch of wet food in the evening. Suzie as she's 17 and quite inactive gets biscuits day and night and a pouch wet food late evening. Between them they get through 35 pouches of wet food and about 2 largeish boxes of biscuits a week.

Cheers

Leigh

Wow thats a lot of pouches,wouldn't you be better off buying them tins?  I'm thinking of going back to tins now I am back upto 3 cats :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2007, 12:16:53 PM »
Indeed Leigh, manners maketh the mog  :evillaugh:

:rofl: :rofl: Carl, they give me a dirty look as if to say "what poor manners he's got" when I scoff all my grub  ;D

I bought a "The Mogfather" T.shirt at the cat show on Saturday which is appropriate for us moggie blokes ;D

Cheers

Leigh

« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 12:18:46 PM by LeighK »

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2007, 12:13:47 PM »
That's the same food regime as my lot Carl and they always leave a little too, that's a sign of good manners  ;D ;D

Cheers mate,

Leigh

Indeed Leigh, manners maketh the mog  :evillaugh:
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2007, 12:02:46 PM »
Riley is 4.5kg neutered adult male indoor cat. He gets 2 100g pouches of wet food and a treat ball filled with dry food (amounts to about a handful of dry food) every day. He also gets a handful of turkey (cooked or raw) chopped into small cubes that I throw for him to chase, or hide in little boxes or balls of paper for him to figure out. He also gets about 3 chicken wings a week.
He is a very long, tall, lean cat, and his weight has stayed stable ever since he reached his adult size. He can be quite lazy, but chasing Skye around keeps him fit!
Skye is on a similar amount, except one of her two pouches is kitten food - we are using up the surplus from before she was neutered. Once this runs out, she will be on the same as Riley.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2007, 11:54:52 AM »
With mine it's like saying how long is a piece of string  :evillaugh:

None of them finish a meal but are always ready for another  :Crazy:

Unless I weighed the leftovers, there is no way of telling  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2007, 11:49:22 AM »
That's the same food regime as my lot Carl and they always leave a little too, that's a sign of good manners  ;D ;D

Cheers mate,

Leigh

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
My boys get a pouch of wet food each when I get up, then I leave a bowl of biscuits down for the day before I go to work. When I get back, its another pouch each and a top up if they're out of biscuits. There's always a small bit left in their bowls so I know they're getting enough.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
Hiya,

The boys get a pouch of wet food each in the mornings (usually Felix but sometimes Whiskas), fresh biscuits during the day and again at night and another pouch of wet food in the evening. Suzie as she's 17 and quite inactive gets biscuits day and night and a pouch wet food late evening. Between them they get through 35 pouches of wet food and about 2 largeish boxes of biscuits a week.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 09:29:16 AM »
Maxy boy has a Whiskas pouch for breakfast, a Natures Menu pouch for dinner in the evening, and a small bowl of dental biscuits left down at all times.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2007, 21:54:13 PM »
Well my kitten Rameses has dry jwb down all day and the one pouch but my adult cats have two pouches a day and a handfull of jwb,Grwndi is overweight but its because of the steroids he's on so I have to keep an eye an his weight thats why I limit the dry :)
Love me,love my animals.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2007, 16:26:44 PM »
Very difficult to know in a house with three cats - I put down food whenever someone is crying with hunger in the kitchen  :rofl:  I would guess-timate they're eating three pouches a day each - we don't have dry because Bertie has struvite crystals.   I don't worry too much as long as they're all at the right weight - Minnie is 8lb, Bella is 5lb (which is the most the vet thinks she will achieve, having being malnourished as a kitten so she's now almost 3 years old but hasn't grown since 10 months), and Bertie is 19lb but he's a big ginger monster ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2007, 16:06:06 PM »
My lot get 160g a day with a small amount of dry and are all at the good weight & need no more stage except Taz who has anxiety issues. They also get raw meat extras, tinned fish and cooked scraps.  :fish:  :cook:

The premium brands are often higher in fat.
If he starts to put on too much weight cut his biscuits down as these are a common cause of obese cats.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2007, 14:58:13 PM »
Mine have 2 pouches per day plus free dry food....1 of mine wont eat the dry so he gets approx 3-4 pouches a day....I wouldnt class any of mine as overweight as they do excercise a lot...I have 2 flights of stairs which they love to run up and down  ;)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2007, 13:41:32 PM »
Blip has two pouches (we are switching to Natures Menu following Suzannes recommendation and Blip loves it but she still has the occasional Gourmet Pearl) plus a small amount of dry food - about 15g per day.  She is nine years old and weighs 4.6kg: she is a long, well-built and very athletic cat.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 12:35:12 PM »
Misty averages 1 pouch a day out of 2 ( a lot of wastage sometimes He'll eat more specially if I give him chicken ;D
He's never been greedy, but sometimes I'd wish He's eat more :(
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
I don't know exactly how much they eat as they just have a big bowl of dry food down at all times but I'd guess that as well as a 100g pouch of wet food between them each day they probably eat at least 200g of dry a day between them working on how long a bag of food lasts them although it varies depending on which food they are eating, time of the year etc.

Bilbo's 2 and spends most of his time outside in the cat run and Boopy is 1 and spends most of her time indoors.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2007, 12:01:05 PM »
Jaffa eats 3 100g pouches a day.  He weights 4.8kg, is 10 years old and an indoor cat.

Mosi eats 150g wet food (1/2 pouch 3 times a day) with about 10g dry sprinkled on top of each meal.  I don't know his weight but it is probably between 4kg and 4.5kg and he's nearly 2.  Also an indoor cat.

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 11:13:04 AM »
Yes that's fine, if he paces himself that's great, not a problem at all.
Thank you !  im off to give him a cuddle. Bye for now. :)
Betsy and Thomas

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2007, 11:10:49 AM »
Yes that's fine, if he paces himself that's great, not a problem at all.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 11:10:19 AM »
The only cat who does not have access to free feed is Minimopsica due to health issues,she can no longer eat dry food and eats exactly 3 pouches of Whiskas in jelly per day,however she is only a small cat.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »
cats generally do eat little and often, although they dont always in multi-cat households (depends on if they know someone is going to come and finish their food off otherwise!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline betsy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 11:08:52 AM »
Yes, just careful he doesn't glutton his food. Feed him at intervals so that he doesn't eat his whole morning meal in one and then is inactive through the rest of the day. I'm lucky that Lexy paces herself well, she will eat throughout the day so I could leave the food out all day if I wanted. She's an indoor cat and pretty sedentary (unless its a bird and moving she won't move!  :evillaugh: ) so I watch her food as much as I can.

Once he's out and exercising you will find that the regular food he eats will be fine, he will exercise it off and probably eat other stuff outside to compliment. Look forward to the odd mouse on your kitchen floor  :-:
Thanks !  yes im so looking forward to him bringing home some pressies !!!....  another thing is he doesnt eat all his food in one go.. he eats little and often. is that ok ?  Sorry if im sounding daft - hes my first cat . so im learning. :-:
Betsy and Thomas

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 11:07:47 AM »
Smidgen just bites me through the duvet - mind he is much better at sleeping in these dark mornings

Link to CatChat