Author Topic: smelly cat - should i give her a bath?  (Read 1707 times)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
Re: smelly cat - should i give her a bath?
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2012, 00:54:56 AM »
Aww Gillian, shes gorgeous! and so well behaved!  :Luv:  :Luv: x

If I bathed Nuggie he would have a similar type face (but not due to breed LOL) and ready to scratch my eyes out!  :evillaugh:
He doesnt even like being brushed!  :shocked:

Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 18:19:44 PM »
OH gillian its that grumpy face that makes them so cute :evillaugh: :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 16:51:08 PM »
All mine are bathed and blow dried  ;D Mind you they've mostly been used to it since they were kittens, being persians, it keeps their coats knot free. I noticed a hec of a difference when I stopped bathing for a while, their coats were nowhere near as easy to keep knot free - so it was back to the baths for them  ;) My Suzie RIP, used to love the warm water  :) and she used to sit there as good as gold ( I know she looks grumpy, but she just had that sort of face, as you can see from the next photo lol! )

Offline jessica

• Kitten
  • Slave to: jenny, sam
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 14:07:09 PM »
I would definitaly just wipe him down with a wet cloth. Baths are defo a no go!

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 00:08:13 AM »
I half bathed Nuggie once after coming home with just one hind leg covered in what smelt like creosote??? I cant explain how, other than his foot fell into some somewhere.....

He is also long haired. But due to the nature of what it was, I filled a bucket, armed with Fairy Liquid and dunked his back end in and washed him faster than I've worked in my life. When he was done he ran off (half wet/half fluffy) and I made the school girl error of going to see if he was ok. I was promptly attacked. There was blood - and it was mine.
I would never have contemplated washing him in such a large area as a bath  :rofl:

My other cat Tazi slipped into the bath once when i was in it. If it wasnt for my ninja-like reaction and flicking him back out in lightening speed with my foot, i fear my demise and injuries would have echoed that of Nightmare on Elm Street....

If you are brave, have a large thick rubber suit & gloves and a welding mask...then bathe smelly cat. If not use wipes

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 22:59:56 PM »
I gave Napoleon a shower once after he had fallen into stagnant water and was alll green and drowned but I would only ever do it it in a total emergency and wipes would not have worked.

He was beside himself with the smell and soaked right through to his skin and think he hated the hairdryer most.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 22:45:33 PM »
All my lot have baths .... they don't exactly like it ... but they put up with it. If you don't feel up to it ... i'd go with the wipes.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 22:25:03 PM »
I tried to bath Noni once.  The bath still has scratches to prove it.  Mine healed ........ eventually  :scared:

I'm a non perfumed baby wipe fan  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 18:18:19 PM »
Fragrance free baby wipes might be a safer option... for you!

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 14:06:07 PM »
wait untill she drys and try brushing through with baby talc, it should get rid of the smell.
i do bathe my cats , one is very good, one is ok, one is a nightmare :Crazy:
unless shes matted id stick to talc or use a foam leave on shampoo(pet shop) so you can do her on your knee..unless of couse you want to bathe her :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
I've only either bathed a cat once and have to say would never try again!!!  if you wiped her with a damp towel or something do you think it would come off?

Offline Chard

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Missy
smelly cat - should i give her a bath?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
this morning i came downstairs to see what trouble my rescue cat Missy has gotten into as is my daily routine.

nothing particularly damaged other than a slight wet patch on the couch and my cats belly from tail to chin was damp and smells very much like shes found a muddy puddle and sat in it!

Shes a very long haired cat and doesnt mind grooming but im wondering if giving her a bath is a great idea or if i should take to a professional groomer?

any tips to washing a cat or rough prices of a pro groomer? ill include before and after pics!

Chard (and Missy the mog)

Link to CatChat