Author Topic: Just found out Biscuit has an enlarged thyroid....  (Read 21576 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Just found out Biscuit has an enlarged thyroid....
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »
I am sorry to hear the lump is growing, but glad he is still enjoying life. While it is unfair that he has gone through so much and then developed this, he is very lucky to be with such a caring mum who is doing everything for him, things could have been so much different for him. We are all here if you need to talk, sadly we know how hard this is.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2010, 00:04:21 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear about Biscuit  :hug:

Its so unfair, and I wish I could say or do something to make it better, but I know I can't.

You're doing the very best for him for the time that you have left together, and no-one could do any more than that.

Sending Biscuit some gentle head kisses, and some of these for you  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 21:46:15 PM »
Hi Schmew.

I am glad that Biscuit is being so spoilt - spending quality time together is so good & I think being loved will make him much more comfortable.  The fact that he's still grooming is a very good indication that he's not given up & you will have more time together.

We do feel your pain & I am truly sorry you are going through this.  Sending you both big hugs. xxxx :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2010, 15:33:56 PM »
Glad to hear that Biscuit still seems ok and you're doing great, I know how difficult it still is though, sending hugs for Biscuit and you :hug: :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2010, 13:29:11 PM »
I'd say he sounds happy enough in himself hun, as long as he's responsive, eating, playing and grooming etc, then there's no reason to think that he's giving up just yet  :hug:

With Max last year the thing I was most frightened about was that I wouldn't know when he'd had enough,  everyone on here told me I'd know, and you know, they were all so right.  Until that time, you're doing the very best for him, and I agree that stopping the thyroid meds is probably a good thing if they're making him feel sick  :hug:

Give darling Biscuit an extra huge squishy cuddle from me for being such a lovely lad, and then take another one for yourself as I know exactly how you're feeling right now, and you could probably do with some extra support  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 13:30:29 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2010, 13:22:23 PM »
Just thought I'd give you a little update on my boy  :Luv:

His lump is growing slowly  :( and his eye is only slightly open now, but he's being brave and having cream in it to stop infection and weeping and it's definitely helping on that score. He's on a full dose of metacam daily so hopefully that's keeping most if not all of any pain at bay.

He's sleeping a lot, but inbetween that he's mugging me for food and the odd cuddle - he'll even have a bit of a play if you've got something dangly! He chats to me when he wants something and today he's been out in the cat run for some fresh air and a bit of cat grass while the door is open (seeing as it seems to have stopped raining!). So on the whole he's looking as good as can be expected, and although I've kept worrying if he's had enough yet I'm pretty sure that for now, he's happy to keep going a bit longer. He still looks good cos he's cleaning himself which I'm aslo taking as a good sign.

His thyroid tablets are making him sick though (he's only sick when he's had one of those in a meal) so I've spoken to the vet and we've decided to stop giving them to him, given that the lump is growing anyway it's still likely he's not got too long and there's no point making him sick.

He's a proper babe  :Luv: and I think he's being really brave. Buffy and Bobby are doing a good job of cuddling me to help keep my spirits up. I still can't help feeling this is all very unfair and unexpected but at least I've been given a last bit of time to spend with him and spoil him rotten.....Making a rod for my own back with fancy cat food, the other two will never go back to their normal boring food now!!!

As much as I wish we weren't at the end, I'd rather he was here with me so I can keep him comfortable and loved in his last days rather than living outside as he used to.

Thanks again for your support, it means a lot that there are people out there that understand  :hug:

xxx

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2010, 20:57:38 PM »
Thank you - and Clare and Des I can't think of any better advice than that. I will pass on some extra purrs hugs  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2010, 08:24:18 AM »
I am sorry to hear this, it doesn't matter how much medical treatment we have available, it is what is best for the cat, and unfortunately sometimes that is doing nothing at all other than loving them, and being strong enough to take away their pain when they can't fight anymore. I know how hard it is when things like this come up so suddenly though, and I just hope you have a lot of quality time together.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 01:01:05 AM »
Very sorry to hear this  :hug: You know Biscuit inside out and you know you'll do the right thing for him, whenever that time may be  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2010, 22:28:06 PM »
Big hugs Schmew - we really feel for you.  We do not think you are giving up on him, you are being realistic & taking Biscuit's quality of life into account.  Very sorry to have read this.. for your's and Biscuit's sake.  xx
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2010, 21:54:10 PM »
Aw hunnie, sorry to hear the news is not better  :(  :hug: :hug:

When Max was very ill last year, and I knew I was losing him, the overwhelming advice was to enjoy him, love him, spend as much time with him as you can, and I couldn't have asked for better advice at the time.

Here's hoping you have much longer together than you think hunnie  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2010, 20:46:35 PM »
I do hope that the eye isn't so serious  :hug: :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2010, 20:26:43 PM »
 :hug: :hug:
Sorry to hear his eye isnt a simple prob  :( i hope you have longer together than you think, its never easy but it sounds like you have made the right treatment call for him  :hug:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2010, 17:24:49 PM »
Well unfortunately it's all become largely irrelevant, as today things have just gone downhill

His eye still hadn't got fully better since it went funny about a month ago, but when we went last week vet just said to keep an eye on it (no pun intended). This morning though I noticed the front of his head had suddenly swelled, on the side of the funny eye. He wasn't too keen on me mauling with it either.

Vet has had a good feel (different vet but one I like and trust) and says it's not an abcess. Impossible to say for sure without x-ray/biopsy/scans obviuosly but given recent history with eye, how it feels and her experience it's likely to be a tumour in his sinus and probably aggressive seeing as quickly gone from poorly eye to big lump.

He's been through so much, and I hope no-one thinks I'm giving up too soon but he's old and I'm not prepated to put him through loads of tests and more treatment when realistically, he's not got forever even without a tumour. He's too high risk for anasthetic anyway with high thyroid levels and given the speed the lump has appeared it would all have to be done very quickly - it's not what I want for him at the end of his time. He's not been 100% himself for a while and although I've put it down to high levels not being treated because of the infection (as we thought it) I don't really hold out much hope of him improving much now he's back on the tablets as this is a separate issue. I've been watching him today, he's detached and lying at the back of the telly or behind the sofa and not eating as much as normal, shaking his head and sneezing. vet said he'd got months if not weeks but I suspect it might not be that long, I won't let it drag for him if he's not happy and surely having a big lump pressing inside your head can't be comfortable. I know I'll know when it's time but I really wasn't expecting it to be so soon after all the thyroid stuff, I thought we'd sort that and then carry on happy for a while longer.

So, he's being spoiled rotten and watched like a hawk, I will keep you posted but I'm sorry it's not great news. I'm gutted.  I can't believe I'm about to lose my big fluffy baby.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2010, 07:54:03 AM »
One of the vets in my practice was reluctant to do it with Sam, yet they do ops on every thyroid cat the RSPCA have!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2010, 07:25:08 AM »
Pep eats his tablets wrapped in corned beef or tuna.

My vet has never offered thyroid ops for my cats - probably because they are older and the chance it won't work?

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2010, 17:46:35 PM »
Hi  :Luv:

Tried primula Des, but no joy, got some of the defurrum treats also (on your recommendation Clare) but none of them will entertain them so that's how we found success with corned beef and tuna. I can't believe our bad luck really but at least I've still got my boy and we'll get him stable again. to be fair he's actually looking really good at the minute so it's not all been in vain I suppose.

the bad luck continues, Charlie dog doesn't seem to have entirely agreed with his booster yesterday and spent the night having tummy ache and high temperature. I'm exhausted, he wouldn't settle and of course I was worried, so we've been back to the vets again today. I almost live there! Luckily he's seeming a lot brighter this afternoon (and is waiting for the rice to cool so he can have chicken and rice for tea) so it looks like we can go away tomorrow as planned (my special girlie dog is in the rescue dog agility finals at Peterborough on Sat, small brag  :Luv: so I'm keeping fingers crossed we don't have to miss it)

So - I have an unopened bag of defurrum treats if anyone wants them!!!! Address by pm and I'll eventually get round to posting them...............

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:57 AM »
Oh no, that's so frustrating  :hug:

Hope the tablets get things on an even keel again, I used to put Max's Vidalta tablets inside Defurrum treats as they can have one or two of them a day, the tablet perfectly fits inside the gooey bit once you've broken the treat in half, and is a perfect disguise  ;) ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Oh no!!! I know they can have thyroid tissue elsewhere, so that is one risk with the operation. Have you tried primula to hide his tablets, much easier to use as a vegi. Fingers crossed the tablets get them down quickly
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 18:48:12 PM »
Thanks all  :thanks: for the Purrs vibes! They did well for the temperature, and the injections went smoothly......

Been back today, weight stable but GUESS WHAT????!!!!!! Thyroid levels are still high, so the operations haven't worked!!!!!!!!

So, he's back on the tablets. Part of me can't quite believe it but other part doesn't feel surprised, I didn't think he was quite right anyway. I go away tomorrow for a couple of days so I'm going to start his tablets when I get back, I can't believe I'm going to have to add CORNED BEEF  :sick: and TUNA to the monthly budget of a vegetarian!!!!  :evillaugh:

Main thing is, he's ok. He looks fab actually, and is a little love as ever, and will be even more of a love once his levels are stable again.

Buffy aslo went today for her vaccination, and she needs to go back for a dental. Add that to Charlie dog's vaccination today and I'm almost bankrupt. the vet nurse joked that I need a job at a vets, I told her not to laugh as when I need a second job I'll be hoping to be a Saturday girl at that vets, just think of the discount!

Thanks again for your support,

xxx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2010, 21:02:16 PM »
Sounds like you have a good vet there, and hope the injections are much less stressful for you both  :hug:

Really good that his temparature has come down, must be all those good vibes again on Purrs, they do wonders  ;D

Topping up with the  :hug: go you and the cuddles for Biscuit :Luv2: :Luv2:

We are all thinking the same thoughts for you and Biscuit.   :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2010, 13:43:46 PM »
Sounds like you have a good vet there, and hope the injections are much less stressful for you both  :hug:

Really good that his temparature has come down, must be all those good vibes again on Purrs, they do wonders  ;D

Topping up with the  :hug: go you and the cuddles for Biscuit :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »
 :) glad to hear that things things are getting better for your boy  :hug:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »
Thanks folks. Been back to vets this morning, having failed miserably with the tablets (yes Des, I know Baytril isn't the flavour, it's the brand  :shify: must have been my typing). When we tried to get last night's down him he was foaming at the mouth, and we found the night before stuck in his fur so basically he hadn't had any since his injextion at the vets on Monday.

His eye is still swollen but his temp his back to normal (yay!) and he has put on a small amount of weight (yay!) and the vet has showed me how to inject him, so I've got enough injectible antibiotics to last til next week and we go back Tues.

I'm relieved - it's a step in the right direction and the injections should be so much easier than fighting with the stupid flavoured tablets so now I feel like I can give him what he needs to get better. Still got the fun and games with the eye cream but that's easier than the tablets.

Thanks for the  :hug: they're definitely needed for both of us! He's having a rubbish year so far but I'm still hopeful that the second part will be better than the first

x

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2010, 20:54:49 PM »
Aww bless, sorry to hear that poor Biscuit has such a nasty infection.  But good news that his weight seems to have stabilised.  Keeping fingers crossed that the antibiotics & cream kick the infection into touch & he responds real soon.  Purrs to Biscuit from the gang here. :hug: for you Schmew.  It's good that you have a vet who understands the implications of FIV, so therefore treats the problem aggressively.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2010, 15:23:37 PM »
 :( Poor Biscuit, hope that he starts to feel better very soon x

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52:26 AM »
Aw hun, sorry to hear you're so up and down with your little man at the moment, hopefully everything will settle down, and he will get over his temperature really soon  :hug: :hug:

Give him a gentle headrub from me  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2010, 08:12:10 AM »
Sorry to hear this Sue - Baytril aren't good tablets to get into cats, I hated it when PEbbles was prescribed them, as she would foam at the mouth with them. Baytril isn't the flavour though, it is the brand, I dont think they make non-palatable ones.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 22:17:05 PM »
Hello all, update for you but not brill I'm afraid  :'(

The first visit went well, vet was happy with his weight etc and said she'd see him in a couple of weeks (this week) and perhaps test his levels if we thought necessary.

He continued to seem ok but still eating LOTS until last Wed when one of his eyes swelled up! We went to see the man vet (the good lady was away) and he reckoned it was some sort of upper respiratory infection as his chest sounded a bit noisy and his temp was high, so he gave him a long acting antibiotic jab and some eye cream. He'd also lost a bit of weight. Biscuit seemed to improve then, his eye was ok but over the weekend he was asking for food constantly, he didn't come up to bed at night (sounds daft but you know when they're not right don't you) and on Monday morning his eye was swollen again  :'(

So we were back at vets Monday/yesterday teatime, his temp was still high, he's had another injection, diff type of antibiotic, continue on cream and some antibiotic tablets. On a good note he's not lost weight since last Wed. This vet is much better, she wants to see him Friday unless I'm worried before, I have more confidence that she is prepared to treat things more aggressively and that's often what's needed for FIv cats in my experience.

He's still eating like a horse  :shify: but is not himself, it must be awful to have a high temp on top of this heat, I feel so sorry for him. Had a nightmare with the tablets, Baytril flavour, well he just won't eat them in ANYTHING that he would have his vidalta in, had to get my mum to come and hold him tonight so I could get it in his mouth and get his eye cream in, it's so stressful for him. I',m worried still about his thyroid levels, I'm not convinced the second op has worked and just feel like if he's still got high thyroid that will just be making him feel even more rotten and can't be helping  :'( I don't think they'll test til he's over this though.

However, other than his swollen eye, he's actually looking quite good, although his back is bony under his lovely fluffiness (but I suppose that's almost expected in a cat of his age).
I'm going to ring the vet tomorrow and see if she's got any non-flavoured tablets, I'm convinced that's what the problem is with getting him to take them!
He's made up cos my mum has brought him a tray of cat grass which he loves, I just hope he's a bit better tomorrow and can see this off, whatever it is. Will let you know how he goes

:hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 00:25:08 AM »
Pleased to hear the op went well.  Fizz has developed a routine of waking us up in the middle of the night for food - started when he first went onto steriods as they made him hungry.  Could well be that Biscuit has gotten into a similar routine.  How did you get on with the check up with the vets?
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »
Glad the op went well, fingers crossed the eating is just habit.
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2010, 20:45:49 PM »
Thanks  :hug: Squidgy cuddles passed on!

I did wonder that too Clare, and have to say that the other two seem to be looking out for food a bit more lately so may be I'm just being paranoid, fingers crossed. Although he did wake me up for breakfast the other morning and I could hear his little tummy rumbling! He's booked in back at vets on Wed so guess we'll know more then.

The main thing is he's fine and happy as Larry as usual, curled up looking scrummy in his bed while I'm faffing on the net.

x

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2010, 14:18:44 PM »
Keeping everything crossed  :hug:

Re the food thing, I wonder if its maybe habit, he's been used to doing it for so long, that it not kicked in yet that maybe he doesn't need to any more?  Just a thought  :hug: :hug:

Keep us posted, and give darling Biscuit a huge squidgy cuddle from me and Poot xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2010, 14:02:47 PM »
So hoping this worked for Biscuit and sending you both lots of love  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2010, 13:54:02 PM »
Another update on my handsome fluffy boy....

Bloods were still a bit high on further testing last weds but vet was happy to operate so he had the other side of his thyroid out last Friday. All went well and vet had a good look round for any extra thyroid tissue in his chest but couldn't find any.

He's recovered fine and is back to normal after op but still begging for food and seeming to be very hungry....vet wants us back next week, I guess for more bloods so I'm crossing everything it's worked this time otherwise he'll be on tablets for the rest of his life anyway and all this will have been for nothing.

Will let you know.
x

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2010, 15:15:14 PM »
Glad you've found something to hide the tablets, that's normally the hardest battle lol!!!

Hope his levels come down a bit more so he can have the other op and all these rotten thyroid issues will be over  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:23 PM »
Good to hear he is doing well and happy with his corned beef  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »
Fingers crossed for his next bloods - rather you than me with corned beef, I much prefer Primula!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2010, 14:26:29 PM »
Well Bics was booked in for his op next Tues but I took him in for tests on Friday and his levels are still a bit high so tablets for another 3 weeks then check again.

He's happy as Larry though which is the main thing. We've discovered corned beef for hiding the tablets in, it's minging stuff but works every time! That's our top tip for the day  :evillaugh:

Thanks for your good wishes for him. Like Des, I was very surprised he needed the second op so soon but hopefully this should be the end of it (I can't be doing with early morning corned beef for the rest of forever!)

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 23:30:36 PM »
 :hug: :hug: for you and Biscuit.  What a shame that he has to have a second op so soon, and hope everything goes well for him.  Pass on some extra cuddles to Biscuit from me  :hug:

Link to CatChat