Author Topic: Jack/fiv+  (Read 8922 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Jack/fiv+
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »
Just a quickie James on the dry food front. Our Freddie had to have virtually all his teeth extracted (only 2 left) when he 1st arrived over 2 years back. He was eating (swallowing) dry food within days and has never had a problem unless he swallows too many in one sitting then he throws it all up :sick:.

As regards sneezing, forgive me, but is it snotty or just watery sneezing?  If not snotty, could it perhaps be stress related?  Our Tom used to have bouts of sneezing on and off after stressful situations and teeth removal must be pretty stressful.

Jack seems to be training you very well  :)

I can relate alot to this post, our Byron just has 2 teeth and if she eats alot of biscuits they just come back whole, also we adopted an older boy, Tiimmy and like your Tom he used to sneeze only when stressed eg when he first arrived, after going to the vets etc
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 09:43:57 AM »
Snotty or sneezing? Both.
He has always snored, and been a bit congested. It's not snotty in terms of colour/volume etc. (can't believe i'm writing this!). But definately a bit congested; when he sneezes there is a 'small watery explosion'. This seems to have eased alot in last 2 days; but for a couple of days he was sneezing all the time (started about 3 days after dental)
I will need to find out  more about 'some cats being carriers of cat flu' - with symptoms flaring up at times of stress (?)
He's on the window sill now (good, up till now he's had no interest to look out the window) - keeping an eye on that pesky snow!  :shify:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 21:29:13 PM »
Just a quickie James on the dry food front. Our Freddie had to have virtually all his teeth extracted (only 2 left) when he 1st arrived over 2 years back. He was eating (swallowing) dry food within days and has never had a problem unless he swallows too many in one sitting then he throws it all up :sick:.

As regards sneezing, forgive me, but is it snotty or just watery sneezing?  If not snotty, could it perhaps be stress related?  Our Tom used to have bouts of sneezing on and off after stressful situations and teeth removal must be pretty stressful.

Jack seems to be training you very well  :)

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 20:56:03 PM »
If i'm in I break his meals up to 3 a day. I'm probably over analysing it - an average man on 2500 cals; so a 4.5kg cat? 85 cals in a pouch...

He seems to be changing all the time (he's been here about 4 weeks now). I tried some of the behaviour tips from the other section - he's more alert and active. He was running around like a maniac this morning! He's started sitting on the box I put by the window for him to look out too, which i'm pleased about.
I realise I know very little about cats! He now seems to be quite 'clingy' and wants to be around me all the time. I'm starting to realise I am indeed his slave. :evillaugh:
I tried him with some dry food today (1st time since teeth out), seemed to eat it no problem - not sure if he is just swallowing it, or if it aggravates his gums (he would eat it anyway!). I suspect he's just learnt to take every oppurtunity to get food when he can - 'my boy' has certainly learnt to survive!!
We are both still learning about each other ....
Thanks for all help.  :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 20:50:18 PM »
I replyed on the other post thats the same as this, can you feed him a 3rd meal to break the day up for him?

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 22:25:44 PM »
Hi James,

I have no experience of FIV kitties but I just wanted to say Jack looks like one seriously chilled boy and well done you for giving him the forever home he so rightly deserves  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 20:15:39 PM »
Hi James,

I am glad you are not fazed by the FIV...it really isnt a big thing, he can still live a long and happy life.
Just to add to what the others have said FIV CAN NOT be passed to humans.

You are right about the Cat Flu .....cats remain carries and it can flare up now and again, mainly due to stress...however i have a carrier who has never had a flare up even though she has been through a pregnancy and a couple of illnesses.

Re the dry food, many toothless cats eat it...they tend to swallow it whole, you could leave some down for him and see how he goes....I am sure he will not eat it if it hurts him.

Anyway, gotta say your boy is one handsome devil who has landed right on his feet with you!
I am sure you will have a long and happy life together xxx

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 20:01:23 PM »
Hi James, ive also had a hyperthyroid cat in the past and he went painfully thin, despite me feeding him on demand and also resulting in the local children feeding him thinking he was a stray, not that he minded :rofl:This was successfully treated with a thyoid op, some cats dont even need that and it can be managed on tablets alone.......

But ive also got two young healthy cats that have learned were their food is kept and follow me and my husband constantly into the kitchen begging for buiscuits even if only fed half an hour before. They also constantly try it on when one of us gets home from work and the other is off, making out they have not been fed all day :naughty: So i think the lovely Jack is just being a typical cat, dont you just love them :)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 18:09:45 PM »
I have had 2 cats with it (and myself!  :evillaugh:)  usually though there are other symptom including weight loss -  although usually easy to manage, it probably is not that but just thought I'd mention.

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 18:04:54 PM »
Thanks, i've seen a couple of threads mentioning that - i'll keep it in mind. The poor lad is already missing the top of an ear, no teeth, tubby and Fiv+;    thyroid problems....? OMG  :innocent:
Hopefully he's just a greedy  :censored:
I'm hoping if i don't give in every time he will learn; as long as he's getting enough food keeep him healthy. (he's sulking right now - sitting with his back to me!)
He's on approx 2 whiskas pouches per day - 1 morning/1night. Maybe i'll up it to 1.5 morning/nightime.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 16:44:20 PM »
Has he had his thyroid checked James? I know some cats can be quite greedy but it is just a thought as being constantly ravenous can be a sign of hyperthyroidism  :hug:

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 13:52:43 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Ernie - Good on you for quiting the smoking (i don't smoke). I've read that along with teeth, respiratory problems are another problem area for Fiv cats. Thats why i'm concerned about this new congestion/sneezing he's started - he is 7 days into a 14 day antibiotic shot for his dental.
I have read somewhere (could be rubbish) that some cats can be long term carriers of cat flu - and at times of stress, the symptoms flare up (?)
Any thoughts on food - how much etc. very welcome: I can't move or eat without him 'demanding' food. He only gets fed from his bowl. I've mentioned earlier what he's getting - but you would think I was starving him from the way he acts :Crazy: (when not asleep!)

Offline MooCat

• Adult Cat
    • Myspace Musician
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 02:26:42 AM »
 One thing ive learned the hard way is that smoking around Fiv cats is a big NO , i lost my beloved Ernie last year with respiratory/cancer
and since getting the new fiv inmate ive stopped indoor smoking completely and thats from a 40 a day addict.
"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 00:00:09 AM »
Hi Ruth, sorry to hear about Harry. Thanks for the link  - Jack fits the profile; teeth infected (now all gone); he snores and wakes with a cough. This sneezing is new... :scared:
Mind you, for a cat thats supposedly had a hard life, he's relaxed/friendly...
He's hardy, not much fazes him - all that dental, next day he was fine!
I'll need to work out this food situation though; if he's not going anywhere soon - i'll need to get amounts right. If I move he sits at his bowl, or follows me around like Oliver Twist!

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 23:16:01 PM »
Hi James,

Harry passed over in September 2006 at age 15 after a good long life  :Luv: He was diagnosed FIV+ at age 6 at a time when very little was known about this disease. He lost all his teeth due to complications caused by the FIV, but the extractions saved his life....

this is a link to a very succinct and informative webpage that tells you all about FIV...I know it may seem a little OMG to take in at first, but bear with it...it will answer a lot of your concerns  :)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1316&aid=213

I've also got some much more scientific journal articles that I can forward onto you if you so wish (for you and your vet) I firmly believe that people have a right to be informed about thier pets health as thier are of thier own. ;)

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 21:39:35 PM »
Hi James, just to reiterate Ruth's post, FIV is not transferrable to humans, its feline specific and cannot be passed across, the same as human HIV could not be passed to a cat.

When I first got Max he had sneezes, it may have been down the the stress of moving, but my rule of thumb is that if a sniffle goes on for longer than a day, I get him down the vets in case anti'bs are required.  I'm sure most of the time its me being a paranoid mum, but to be honest, I don't care  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 19:14:49 PM »
Thanks, I presume Harry is toothless too. I'll try and leave it a while before introducing some biscuiits - want to let gums heal/harden. What do you (anyone) think to the volume of food I mention. He's pretty chilled, but I held back on his food till the nomal time (i.e. about 7pm) He started to go nuts!! Any 'stroke' turned into a (play) fight - he can do damage if he chooses to!  >:(  He even started to chase his tail!!
He's fed now, and the placid/purring/sleeping cat is back!  8)

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 18:54:53 PM »
Hi there James,

In answer to you questions:

Yes toothless cats can and will eat dry. My Harry would wolf them down dry, he refused wet biscuits!

I found that Harry would eat significantly more than a normal cat would, I put it down to the fact that because a FIV+ cat has a compromised immune system they require a bit more energy to allow them to cope with what immunity they have left.

Please be aware that as his immune system is compromised he will need AB's to assist his body in ridding him of things that a non FIV cat would have much less difficulty getting rid of. Harry required a lot of courses of AB's during his fifteen years....so unfortunatley you will be dispensing a lot of meds to jack -depending on how good he is at getting himself into the kind of trouble that needs a vet visit  :innocent:

If you are in doubt about his health, get him to the vets...a good vet will understand your need to be careful  :)

With regards to your last worry....FIV CANNOT be transfered to humans.I have Biological training and have researched this topic throughly due to Harry's FIV status and I have yet to find an informed scientfic opinion that states otherwise. So treat him as you would treat any other cat...and yes that means putting up with him jumping on you to get fed...Sorry  :evillaugh:

Hope that helps.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 17:46:23 PM »
Hi James,  Jack is lovely  :Luv2:
I do know that cats can eat dry food with no teeth.  Our Schui is toothless and Byron has just 2 and vet said the dry food will disolve easily and their gums harden anyway, Byron occasionally has dry but they both prefer wet - Whiskas.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 17:46:59 PM by janeyk »

Offline James

• Adult Cat
  • Jack
Jack/fiv+
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 17:31:24 PM »
Hi again! Hi, its been a busy couple of weeks - but as you can see in the Photo, Jack was extremely stresssed to find out he FIV+; tests sent to lab etc. Jack says Hi to all his other FIV buddies out there ;)
Jack had to have both teeth and some old roots taken out - so NO teeth  :shocked:
He's on wet food only. Can cats with no teeth ever eat dry?
I'll need to speak to the rescue people and we will decide what to do - he wants to eat ALL the time, so hard to know if he in pain or not. Vet seems to think the FIV shouldnt be too much of a problem - he's V chilled  8).
So it depends on his mouth healing fully. In the last couple of days he's started sneezing quite alot (?!) My flat gets quite dusty (tumble dryer etc.) and I sneezed alot when I 1st bought the place - But now i'm paranoid about chronic infections.......!!!
Can FIV cats fight off minor infections, coughs/colds etc.? Any reason he should start sneezing, he's been here 3 weeks + (any dust didn't effect him then!)
Do I need to take extra hygiene precautions? He's also discovered he can wake me up in the mornings, by jumping on the bed - this amuses him alot  :evillaugh: He thinks he will get fed sooner! Should I keep him off the beds - I know nearly everyone says it can't be transfered to humans!?!

Link to CatChat