Author Topic: Why didnt I think of that before?  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
Re: Why didnt I think of that before?
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 15:14:11 PM »
I had Merlin's swab for the Calici done at the vets, it is a diffrent one to the FIV and was sent to Glasgow still have not got it back, it takes 7 - 14 days
A cat is for life

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 14:37:56 PM »
Ollie has had FIV/FELV and was clear for both! Although he has got very bad gingervitus. Do them tests pick up the Calici virus?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 00:20:41 AM »
You could be right about that but the vet should have known the signs.

ccmacey

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 11:07:14 AM »
I also think that my cat was allergic to the medicine the vet give her (penicillin) as by the end of the week all her limbs were swollen abnormally, and when I took her to the vet's after she had passed away, the vet said it looked like she had had liver failure.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 20:57:59 PM »
Calici virus also causes gingervitus

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 19:07:44 PM »
Sometimes calicivirus (never sure of the spelling!) can cause sore joints, especially in little ones, and also the runny eyes.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 18:27:18 PM »
It doesnt sound like FIV to me. If you had him tested and he was negative then i wouldnt blame him for their illnesses.
Maybe the cat you lost brought in something that the other 2 caught.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 18:26:18 PM »
There are a few illnesses that can show those kind of symptoms, and could have made your other cats ill - FIV is very hard to transmit, and requires deep bites, plus FIV doesn't normally kill that quickly, cats with FIV can live to be in their teens.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

Why didnt I think of that before?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 16:55:34 PM »
Hi all, Ive just been reading the topic "how do you know if your cat is FIV" and something has just sprung to mind. In August 2004 I got a kitten, he had weepy eyes and now he suffers from very bad Gingivitis. He has been tested for the viruses and they came back negative. At the time I was also looking after a family members kitten and I also had 2 16 month old cats. Within the week both of my older cats and the kitten I was looking after got very ill, to my misery my female cat died, not going to go into that now. The thing is the kitten that I was minding got ill too, all her limbs were painfull when she walked and her nose was also bleeding. After many trips to the vets that week she was OK once going back to her owner and never showed any signs since, This cat disappeared about a year ago never to be see. Could the nose bleeding mean the cat had FIV? I always thought my cats got sick because of the kitten that I got, not the kitten I was minding, I have still got that cat and he's fit and healthy, apart from his gingivitis.

Link to CatChat