Author Topic: Ace and Adam - Two FeLV kittens looking for a home...  (Read 9400 times)

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Ace and Adam - Two FeLV kittens looking for a home...
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 13:11:52 PM »
A great outcome in the end then  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »
We decided that it just wasn't the right situation for the two boys  :(

BUUUUT, the lady has agreed to foster for us as she has a great spare room which will be perfect for foster kitties! She's really enthusiastic and is helping us do posters for our Spring Fair and other events so that's a great outcome!

By fostering, she'll potentially help hundreds of cats!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 09:05:22 AM »
The home visit went well and the lady is so lovely but we're just not sure  :-:

She has a new lodger moving in and although we trust her to close doors and windows, if someone else is around who is perhaps not as cat orientated, or has friends round etc etc. The door leads straight onto the living room and we're not sure that there's enough "precautions" as to potential escapes!

Like I said, we feel the lady is lovely and if only she lived on her own! We're going to pass it onto the lady who looks after them to see what they feel

I hope this can be overcome, although I totally know where you're coming from with my FIV boy ...... we had a party in the summer once, never again, all I was doing the whole night was checking windows and doors were closed so he couldn't wander out  :shy:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:49:49 AM »
Aww, hope it works out.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 18:08:03 PM »
The home visit went well and the lady is so lovely but we're just not sure  :-:

She has a new lodger moving in and although we trust her to close doors and windows, if someone else is around who is perhaps not as cat orientated, or has friends round etc etc. The door leads straight onto the living room and we're not sure that there's enough "precautions" as to potential escapes!

Like I said, we feel the lady is lovely and if only she lived on her own! We're going to pass it onto the lady who looks after them to see what they feel
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 17:23:08 PM »
Fingers and toes crossed here !!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 17:06:10 PM »
:luck: :luck: :luck:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 21:45:54 PM »
Fingers crossed but we did a home visit for these two this weekend. Of course the home has to be just right, but I really hope we accept as the lady was really lovely and her aunt had had a FeLV cat before so she knew what she was taking on!!! Will definately let you know!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 12:42:09 PM »
I do hope you can find somewhere for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 18:01:55 PM »
FeLV doesnt survive in the environment very easily so you wont need to scrub like it was FIE. ;D

Good luck homing your boys, i hope they manage to find someone soon :luck:

Did you have them retested at glasgow?

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 16:45:31 PM »
Hey!

We actually teamed up with the Wharfe Valley CP branch who actually have had all four in a seperate pen so they've done a lot of it, but we helped re-home the female pair.

We lost one little one (Andy Pandy) after a week and most of the adult cats that were living in the garden were too advanced so were PTS for their own sake, poor things.

All ten of the kittens were tested, but of course had to be kept in care for six months to make sure that it wasn't a false positive or vice versa. They were all kept in seperate pens and foster homes at that point. Once they knew which were clear, they were re-homed. The four then went into one pen (I think). It was just a case of keeping them really well looked after and up to date with injections etc. The branch has done a wonderful job and were very selfless in knowing that pens would be backed up for six months.

The two left have now been moved into a new foster home where they can run around a bit more and it's basically just been a case of cleaning the pen out to a ridiculous level!

It's been a hard struggle and we may not ever re-home Ace and Adam, but refuse to give up on them. If that happens then we'll just keep them as sponser cats. The couple who adopted the female pair were the kind of people we dream of phoning - they were totally selfless and just wanted to give a good home to the cats who needed it most - don't you wish all potential adopters were like that?!

Soz for the long reply!

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 16:31:53 PM »
I have to say i appauld you for taking on 2 FELV cats into rescue.. and trying to rehome.

Having only seen FELV twice in our branch on both occassions we sadly lost them both!

How do you deal with infection?
Do you have a isolation pen..?
I did post a few question about FELV in rescue a while back, so would be interested in knowing how your branch tackles this..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Ace and Adam - Two FeLV kittens looking for a home...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 16:11:12 PM »
Hello there! I'm Jen and I work for the Cats Protection in Adel, Leeds. We still have two beautiful FeLV 7 month old kittens in our care. They were found along with 10 other cats living in squalid conditions in an notorious area of Leeds. We've managed to test and re-home all the other kittens (including Ace and Adam's sisters), but we still have these beautiful boys. They will, of course, need an indoor home and are quite boisterous so quite a large property would be fantasitic (ie, not a flat or small terrace). They are such friendly boys who just want someone to give all their love to. Of course we can appriciate that taking on an FeLV cat is a big decision, but we believe that however long they live, they still deserve a chance to have a home to call their own. We would also deal with any vets bills that arose due to the condition. Please visit our home a cat section on our website at http://adel.cats.org.uk to see them !

:shy:

Link to CatChat