Author Topic: Fizz Update  (Read 53618 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Fizz Update
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2010, 20:08:12 PM »
Glad they are all doing well  ;D
Can we have another pic of the ginger monster? :drool;

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2010, 19:03:38 PM »
Glad to hear all is well with the whole furry family :)

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »
So pleased to hear such good updates  ;D :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2010, 06:46:37 AM »
Glad to hear all is going well  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2010, 00:34:21 AM »
Hi everyone,

Been absent for a while sorry. 

Fizz is continuing to love life.  He was almost at the point of coming off the steroids (1/2 pill every 5th day) but we saw him licking the ground.  His RBC was slightly down - @26 when it should be 30+ so back up to one steriod a day for a fortnight, then reducing gradually again.

He's been doing real well - had a few bouts of upset tummies but antibiotics seem to sort him out.  Been a few weeks since the last upset so hopeful he's stabilised.  Thought he was developing conjuncivitis the other day as some real horrible green gunk was coming from his eye but he seems to have fought that one alone, unaided!

Everyone else is fine.  Alfie has bulked out & his frame now fits his head!  Molly & Amy are great, Molly, at the tender age of 14, has finally learned how to use the catflap after living here for almost 5yrs!  She's like a spring chicken now!  The current 'warm' weather suits all - so a relatively harmonious home!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
 :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2010, 00:00:08 AM »
How sweet  :Luv:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: February 27, 2010, 22:18:06 PM »
Alfie certainly making himself at home.  We were lying in bed this morning, Fizz & Amy both on the bed.  Alfie hopped onto the ottoman at the foot of the bed, looked at the situation, then hopped over the footboard & snuggled up next to Fizz!  Think the attitude was if it's good enough for you then it's ok by me but I'm staying by you for reassurance! :rofl:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2010, 08:37:42 AM »
All sounding very good  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2010, 06:22:43 AM »
Great to hear that things are getting even better  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2010, 23:50:58 PM »
Hi,

Fizz is still continuing to do really well.  We are entering our 4th week of half a steroid every third day now with a view to dropping this to every 4th day shortly.  His appetite is good, he has loads of energy but we are watching him closely as last time we tried this weaning off, was when he became anaemic again.

Alfie continues to settle in - Fizz has come to something about him as well - maybe he feels more confident as he is feeling better - but he now runs around the house, making the chirrup noise at Alfie, who in turn thinks it's great to chase Fizz!  Fizz even ran into Molly the other night as he wasn't watching what he was doing. 

Molly & Amy both good as well - all waiting for the weather to warm up a bit.

Hope you are all keeping well out there!

:)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #78 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:32 AM »
Gorgeous cats  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
Glad Fizz is okay.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2010, 23:10:47 PM »
Thanks - can't believe how lucky we have been with Fizz.  Reviewing steroids in a couple of weeks to let him stabilize after this.

Can't believe how big Alfie is either - he went quite thin in the summer, bulked out for winter.  He's a real gutsy eater - can demolish a whole tin in one sitting if given the chance.  But doesn't bolt his food - Kitty did that when she first came to live with us, & would then make herself sick.  Took a bit of time to educate her that we keep food down all the time.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
Lovely photos  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »
That's good to hear  :) Lovely photos  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2010, 21:35:12 PM »
Great news  ;D Lovely pics  :Luv2: They all look very relaxed in each others company  :)

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2010, 21:30:00 PM »
Hi there!

Great news!

Took Fizz back for his check up last night & saw the same vet who removed his tooth on Boxing Day.

Apparently, there was no root remaing, so they had put a stitch in the gum to stop his lower canine from going into the gum.  This has healed up perfectly & no signs now of infection! :wow:

Phew! :wow:

Thought I'd update the pictures with some taken recently of the gang - Alfie slowly gaining everyone's confidence, I think!

Thanks again for all your well wishes and support for Fizz & the gang. :thanks: :hug:

Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 18:08:45 PM »
Lots of get well wishes for Fizz and glad you got home ok  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2010, 14:47:11 PM »
Hi & Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks for your kind thoughts and wishes for Fizz.

Managed to get to the vets this morning in Kington.  Paul took one look & decided that the remainder of the root needed to come out so off Fizz went for his op.  Good news is that his pcv count is good (took blood last time we were there for testing).

Snowing really bad when I came out, the car slid into a ditch/hedge on the main road.  Both me & the car ok, bent aerial & damaged pride but nothing worse.  Rang work, they sending people home so was advised just to go home, once I'd been towed out of the ditch....

Vets called @ 11.20am to say we could collect Fizz.  Roads much improved so picked him up.  Another 7 days of antibiotics & another check up, weather permitting, on Monday next week.  Just gotta keep him quiet and warm.  He looks shell shocked but is grateful to be home bless him.

Will update you all accordingly.  We are hoping he'll be ok - he is a fighter bless.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Thomas, Suki, Sweep, Tatty & Tabs
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2010, 23:01:39 PM »
I hope that you had a great New Year.

Wishing Fizz the best of luck for his check up on Tuesday and hoping for a speedy gum recovery  :luck:

We will be thinking of you.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2010, 07:05:15 AM »
Wishing Fizz luck with the tooth/gum problem and wishing you a Happy New Year too  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2009, 23:19:39 PM »
Hi & Happy New Year One & All (early I know but.....)

Fizz's gum not healed.  Not bleeding but his lower canine is digging into the gum area where the tooth was as is still swollen.  Paul (bestest vet ever) says some of the root must still be there - he closed Fizz's mouth to demonstrate the tooth going in  :(  but has asked us to continue giving him antibiotics for a few more days.  He has to go in Tuesday next week for a check up & if still incurring problems, then will have to undergo an operation to remove any remains of the root to give his gum a chance to heal.

He still doesn't seem to be suffering from this, however, he's developed a high pain tolerance - bit like me & my neck & shoulder - so hard to say for sure he's not suffering at times.

But the vets are keeping an eye on him & will do everything to help once they are back to full staff next week.

Molly & Amy are glad they are not alone Sylvia - roll on summer & warmth!

Here's to 2010 - hope it's a good year to all. :wow:

:hug:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2009, 22:43:04 PM »
So pleased to hear that Fizz seems to be recovering OK  :)

Well done to the gorgeous Alfie - nose sniffing sounds like excellent progress.

My gang would just like to say that they are in total agreement with Molly and Amy  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2009, 16:06:01 PM »
Glad he didn't seem too bothered by the tooth and hope that the vet visit went well xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2009, 12:44:25 PM »
 :thanks: everyone!

I got up at 5.50am on boxing day morning to get a glass of water, only to discover Fizz's upper left canine was sticking out of his mouth at right angles.  Phoned the vets & took him in to the surgery at 9am.  Looks like he got ambushed & beaten up and, he must have tried to bite down & broke the canine at the root - tooth completely intact but coming away from the gum.  So the vet removed the tooth (owch) & checked him over, few scratches but ok.  Painkiller & antibiotic jab, plus a course of antibiotics to follow. 

You wouldn't believe he'd lost his tooth.  Eating the dried biscuits almost as soon as we got back from the vets.  Slept a lot on Boxing Day (understood) but charging round like a loony since!  No evidence of blood in his mouth so looks like the gum has healed.

Taking him back @ 2pm for a check up (if he'll let me....).

Alfie's fine - he sniffed my nose the other day which I take as acceptance from him.  Molly & Amy are both well but hate the cold weather (don't we all?)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2009, 14:26:44 PM »
Wonderful and hope you had a great Christmas and best wishes for 2010  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 09:30:11 AM »
Good news, wishing you all a  :merry xmas: from me, J and Mr Poot xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2009, 23:48:53 PM »
Good news all round  :)

:merry xmas:

Offline Sylvia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2009, 22:54:24 PM »
I'm so pleased to hear that things are going so well for you, Fizz, Alfie, Molly and Amy  ;D

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year

:merry xmas:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2009, 06:29:55 AM »
Glad to hear that all is well  ;D

If we don't hear from you have a lovely Christmas too!
 :xmas:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 21:42:14 PM »
Hiya!

Both Fizz and Alfie continue to make good progress! :)

Fizz is down to half a steroid every other day - been a couple of weeks now.  Regained his boisterousness & cheekyness, much to Molly & Amy's disgust!  Obviously keeping an eye on him but happy with him for now.  Just enjoying each day as is a bonus to have him here, been almost 3yrs since the diagnosis of the FIV - for a cat which goes out I think he's done remarkably well.  He has a real enjoyment for life, he is a survivor & we will give him all the help we can.

Alfie's been here every day now - he's in each morning.  Not around in the evenings but guess he's got some routine established.  He has stopped dribbling now after eating & seems to be comfortable - you'd never know that he'd been poorly & damaged his tongue.  Wonder if he lost it licking a can in the rubbish somewhere?   He's kinda tempted by our open fire - he hung around til @ 4pm yesterday - but  Molly was in front of the fire - he lay nearby for 5 mins & then decided he had to go somewhere.  Only saw him again this morning when we got up.

So hopefully, all will have a good christmas here - at least Alfie realises there is a sancturary here & we do not expect anything from him, it's his choice (which it could only be) to come back & integrate himself with the gang.  They seem to acknowledge he needs a home as well, although Fizz got real stroppy the other morning at 5.30am when Alfie heard me in the kitchen (Fizz had woken me as usual) so I fed Alfie first - to keep Fizzy's food for Fizz - he stropped off up the stairs & wouldn't let me touch him!  He never used to be so strange - it's taking a while for him to come to something with Alfie but I figure it's coz he's not 100% - when other visitors came, it was pre FIV/anaemia days & when Molly & Amy moved in, again it was before he became ill.  Hopefully, Fizz will interact more with Alfie - think they could have a great time together chasing etc.

If I don't get back online before, I'd like to wish everyone on here a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!  Thanks again for all of your support over the years. :thanks: :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2009, 22:53:13 PM »
 ;D that's great news, hope he continues to do well  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2009, 22:23:49 PM »
Hi everyone.

Quick update - Alfie was here again this morning.

He was curled up in the armchair and quite calmly let me open his mouth for a look at his tongue - very trusting of him really!  Couldn't do that with Amy or Molly - coz we didn't have them from kittenhood.  Anyway, his tongue looks very healthy and pink all over & he seems more comfortable.  He ate some Whiskas supermeat & then curled up again!

So I am a lot happier - think that as JayneK suggested, he's adapting to losing part of his tongue & that he was in a bit of pain but that's passed now.

Will keep an eye on him but not easy as he's not always here!

Life looking up for the little chap, thank heavens.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
Glad allis ok, I'd just keep an eye on his tongue and if he seems in pain have a word with vet, maybe it feels a bit odd to him until he gets used to it  :hug:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2009, 20:11:38 PM »
 :thanks:

Alfie came back last night at tea time.  I called him & he was around so came in for a bit of food.  Went straight back out again.

He was curled up asleep in the armchair this morning.  Fil got a better look at his mouth & tongue lunchtime as Alfie was still here.  Bit worried as the tip of what's left of his tongue looked quite pale but Alfie seems ok.  He is dribbling a bit though, wondering if he's in a bit of pain so having his mouth open a bit, hence the wet chin.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2009, 22:36:17 PM »
ah, bless (Ginge) Alfie  :Luv:, hope he's ok now and ya know how painful the mouth can be -  good news is it's one of the quickest places to heal so fingers crossed for him xx

Hope that Fizz will be ok too  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2009, 22:35:29 PM »
Glad Ginge Alfie is back home  :) I'm not surprised he opted for the wet food over the biicies, must still be a bit sore for him :care:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2009, 22:20:51 PM »
Hi!

Picked Ginge up from the vets today - they neutered him yesterday & re-examined his tongue whilst under anaesthetic.  There was a small piece of tongue that they have removed as it was dying off & would have been worse for him if left.  They are happy with his progress & confident he will be able to cope with a quarter of his tongue missing. 

He seemed very pleased to see us!

We home & let him out of the basket - he went straight into the hall & out through the cat flap!  Went for a wander (& pee) around the estate, then came in for some food.  Tried eating the dry biscuits but I think it hurt too much.  Put some more Whiskas supermeat down - ate it ravenously.

He then went out again & we haven't seen him since!

I am sure he's ok, just gone to one of his other homes or hideouts to re-orientate himself!

Decided that Ginge isn't the right name for him.  He will now be known as Alfie - bit of a jack the lad, man about town, with several places he can lay his weary head - just like the movie character!

The vets have given him a long term anitbiotic shot which should last him a couple of weeks. 

Just hope he is going to be ok - keep your fingers crossed for him!

Our vet had left notes on the computer saying we are to reduce Fizz's steroids to half a pill every other day so we will give this a go - this is where he has had problems earlier in the year with the weaning off process - whilst weaning off the steroinds he became anaemic again.

Will keep you all posted on how they are doing as the weeks progress.  :)
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 22:03:43 PM »
Phwoar, what a hunk :drool;  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 21:59:37 PM »
Poor Ginge! Hope he makes a full recovery, sounds like he's fallen on his feet now though  :hug:  Would love to see what he looks like when he comes home  :)  :pic:

Thanks Helen - if you go up through this thread, you'll find a picture I posted about a month or so ago of Ginge.  He has the most amazing amber eyes! :thanks: :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Link to CatChat