Author Topic: Obesity in cats  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Obesity in cats
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 18:37:17 PM »
it's not easy getting cats to lose weight.

Kylie and one of Michelle's (furbabystar) cats have been on obesity food for around 2 months and neither or us have seen a visible reduction. Although I have had to suffer the most disgusting smelling poos that are like dog turds on a daily basis  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Obesity in cats
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 14:27:28 PM »
Weight will vary - what's ok for a maine coon will be overweight for your average moggy!  the best way to tell if a cat is overweight is to feel around the ribs.  You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them, and there should not be more than a thin layer of fat around them.  A clearly defined waist should also be visible.

Neutered cats have a lower metabolism than entire cats (and will be less active) so will need less food, but there's no reason why they will inevitably be overweight. 

Obesity is very common in cats, esp those eating dry food.  Your vet is the best person to advise you on whether she needs to lose weight.  It's dangerous for cats to lose weight too quickly so weight loss is best done under veterinary supervision.  If you think she's a bit overweight best to try and get some weight off her before it becomes too much of a problem as it's not easy getting cats to lose weight.

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Obesity in cats
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 13:08:49 PM »
What weight is classed as obese in cats? Although Menue doesn't eat much, she has gained a few pounds recently. Shes pretty active and likes bombing around my flat.

Is it common for neutered females to get bigger? And is obesity in cats common??
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Link to CatChat