Author Topic: Please help and advice Cat is expecting  (Read 5253 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Please help and advice Cat is expecting
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 20:30:44 PM »
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4788.msg74194.html#msg74194

Anyone wanting to know more about why it's sensible to spay a cat regardless of if you're intending to breed them or not should read this. It's really informative.

Lillylau, please let us know everything's OK.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 15:23:11 PM »
can I just say that it is right for us rescues to post on this thread and it is not a  personal attack on you in particular though, if you did not intend her to have kittens, you were daft not to get her spayed.

I think we need to say this for anyone else who may be visiting this site and reads this thread, as they may have an indoor queen and also think neutering not important.

Hopefully, any forum members who have been around a while will already know this, and from the amount of posts on this thread from members  who have not experienced a pregnant cat this is obviously the case.

Female cats will go into heat every few weeks, feel stress to want to mate and also repeated cycles can lead to medical problems later in life - cancers, womb infections and it is for these reasons (as well as unplanned pregnancies!) that we would always encourage even indoor only cats to be neutered.

There is plenty of information on the web about cat pregnancy and birth, and i am sure if there are any particular problems we can help with we are happy to.
as stated just be sure you have the vets phone nmuber to hand in case things go wrong. C sections are quite rare in cats but we paid £600 in January for one. Luckily mum and babies survived.

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 13:13:32 PM »
I am sorry to hear you have been so ill lillylau and send lots of healing vibes your way.
Even though Narla may previously never have wanted to go out a female cat in heat will do everything and anything in  their power to get out and mate. It is a natural instinct and she more than likely nipped out when being cared for. I'd still have the boys checked over though.
What will be will be and it is good that you are now getting organised for the babies or at least to have her vet checked to ensure all is progressing well with the pregnancy.
I hope all goes well and the kittens are healthy and that you really should think of them and about getting them homes because each kitten really deserves it's very own slave and to be a part of it's own family where it can be pampered. I'd say start looking as soon as they are born and remember homing them is a great gift and will see them off to a good future. Make that your aim as keeping them all would be far to much of a financial and emotional strain on you.
Take all the help you can and get mum neutered as soon as possible as remember she will come into season again quite quickly even when she still has the kittens and will be off out looking for another husband! It is essential this does not happen.
Good luck and hope all goes well.
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
This is a terribly sad situation.

Lillylau, I know you must be very worried about Narla at this point in time. Definitely get her to the vets for a check up. Find out how far along she is and that will help you make a decision. Liz is right, the vets can do a spay dependent on the stage of pregnancy. However, some people aren't comfortable with that happening which I can understand entirely.

I'd also pop the boys in for a check up and find out which boy is the culprit in this scenario. You'll need to know that definitely.

Have you contacted the CP? They can help with spaying and neutering costs if you're on benefits.

I hope you're feeling considerably better. I've had friends and family have to stay in hospital due to severe mental health issues and it's very stressful not only for them but the people that care for them.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 20:08:02 PM »
Yes maybe you are right I feel that you are right I should of got her done a year ago but with the boys being done I didnt see the rush.as she never goes out I dont know how she got this way and if I could find out I would. I am sorry for the kitten and yes I will be there for Narla and do my best. I have once syringe fed a kitten we got at 4 weeks when we first got a cat it started bady I feed him every 3 hour he got bigger and he lived a year and a half it broke my heart he is now in the dispay cabinet.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2012, 18:02:26 PM »
I am busy syringe feeding a poor kitten who has severe cat flu,not only that the poor girl was raped and may be pregnant,her age just 4 months and she is malnourished and tiny.
I dont believe in abortion yet today at the vets I told him that if this poor pathetic soul lives she is to be spayed,against every principle I hold dear to me.
I have always been proud to say I am a no kill rescue,sadly if people continue breeding euthanasia may well have to be considered.

The reason, people allow their cats to breed and either pass them round where they will end up producing or keep the whole litter themselves. If anyone cannot afford to neuter one female then how can they afford to neuter a litter.

In my opinion Narla should have been spayed over a year ago,but then shes your cat so your choice , I guess you wont be picking half dead kittens up so what does it matter.

Gill no I am not nosey, I dont read half the posts, concern makes me check some things out.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2012, 13:56:18 PM »
i dont see any bitchiness here and Teresa has a wealth of experience and is just trying to help.
What has been said by you in the past is not relevant but of course we all know including you that an unneutered male cat is needed to to make Narla pregnant and have to say that I am intrigued how this happened.

I know it happened when you were in hospital but thoiught you would want to know too, because Narla is your very much loved cat and us cos we are all ladies and just doing what ladies do best...........being nosey LOL

If you feel that we on Purrs are not trying to help you are wrong but that is your priveledge and as someone said, sometimes it is hard to get the words right on a forum however hard one tries and I can see everyone is trying.

You need your strength mentally and physically to get Narla through this and recommend you at least speak to yoiur vets, so at least they can advise what to do, heaven forbid, if Narla has problems. Kittens nearly always seem to be born during the night so also important to know what to do out of hours.

I hope you stick with us cos there is so much help available and Narla does not need you to end up in hospital again.

Many of us are ill. long term and I have suffered with clinical depression so understand a little of what you have been through. I thought I was bad but you have obviously been much worse.............its something that those who have not been there at the lowest end cannot understand however hard they try. Keep your chin up  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2012, 13:48:49 PM »
I understand why some members may be upset if you did deliberately breed her however if we are to believe what you have now written is true then its a case of whats done cant be undone so lets just deal with the situation we have here.

firstly you need a vet check asap...so let us know when thats been done :hug:

I dont want to cause more stress but the dad if shes been out could have been a carrier of anything so its likely your vet may need to check her for anything from cat flu to fleas!
unfortunately none of us can tell you if the birth is going to go well or not as thats not predictable. the vet will be able to examine her but thats all im afraid.

I do hope she will be ok so please let us know how she is getting on....I would settle her in a room of her own with her own nest if possible and keep her seperated now from the others as it sounds like it may be any day now :-:

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 13:45:10 PM »
Hello Lily - sorry that you have been ill, I did not know

I am not sure how old Narla is - I don't know if you have mentioned it anywhere, I think what Helen said previously is really good advice

If she is eight weeks she is likely to start looking around for somewhere to kitten soon, I hope the kittening goes ok it usually does just keep a watchful eye, cats are all different in labour as humans, some like being stroked and some like privacy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline maddercow

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Cash, Izzy and Scruffycat the stray.
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 13:25:25 PM »

Please don't be upset, sometimes things come over very badly on forums and people don't mean to upset you. 

I have several times caused offence without meaning too (remember the auction?!), sometimes things just come out all wrong.  The welfare of Narla and her babies is the main thing now (as well as your own) and I hope that everybody will be supportive.

When you are ill and in hospital as you have been you can't possibly keep an eye on everything and sometimes events take over, you thought she was safe indoors but obviously something went wrong and you couldn't help that.

I hope Narla is ok and that everything goes well with the babies.  I am sure that your vet will be as helpful as possible.  I would feel the same about keeping the babies but you may find homes for them with a bit of help from friends and family.

My Izzy had kittens at a very young age which was how she ended up in the sanctuary but the kittens were all homed and Izzy is showing no signs of having suffered due to being a teenaged mum. 

Best wishes to all of you. I am sure you will do what's best for Narla as you love her so much.

Jo XXX

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 12:39:16 PM »
what a rubbish situation, who was looking after them for you?

never had a pregnant cat either but I know they need a lot of extra food while pregnant and while feeding kittens. probably a good idea to have your vets number to hand in case she needs a c section or something and fingers crossed she only has a couple!

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:43 PM »
I know there is and Im not saying any thing other looks like I am not the right person for this forum as to me its very bitchy and im not that kind of person sorry for bother you all

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
No advice ,but I am going to add that there a lot of people on here that are quite ill very often with numerous things wrong , one being myself , I just don't bother posting about it as what I have is not curable but long lasting and only a few weeks ago , I was crawling on my hands and knees to do my cats litter trays in agonizing pain. I live alone too with the only nearby family being my 67 year old brother who is very ill at present as his kidneys are packing up .

I am not going to say anything about the pregnancy , except I assume she will need regular check ups . I have never had a pregnant cat myself and having two youngsters at 6 and 7 month old , is a handful for me , let alone first born , if there are problems , hand rearing etc etc. you certainly will be deprived of sleep and huge vet bills , so be prepared for that and get her spayed as soon as you can afterwards.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 10:50:12 AM »
To be honest Teresa I dont see why I should have to justify myself to you I am sorry you are unwell but over the last few months I feel like I have been to hell and back.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:47:05 AM »
Yes my friend of whom I dont talk to any more did breed her Queen and yes you were right she was wrong as hence I dont talk to her any more. As for breeding Narla yes I would of bread her with a British short hair when and only if I felt the time was right but all the people on here made me think different hence I got all my boys done. I was going to get Narla done when I had the money but then I took ill and had to go to hospital for a few months, Now I am well but still under care and come home to find my girl like this as you can imagain I am hurt and worried.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »
OK something is really bothering me, I have been checking back on your old posts and wondered if this quote from a post you wrote is the same Narla you are saying is pregnant now
Hiya im Narla I am a smoke black BSH, I will be mummys breeding queen as my mummy said my pedigree is very good with plenty of champions, but most of all I am a family cat I love my cuddles and playing with my brothers, I am a gentle girl with a sweet little face, I am the loudest of my family and I always let my mummy know what, I love my toys but my baby brother is better than toys he plays too and when we have finnished we both cuddle up together.
Also you began another thread about breeding from non registered pedigree,you said your friend was going to do it.

Now I dont want to be offensive or cause trouble, I will help anyone that I can but I need honesty and everything I double check is saying this may have been planned long ago.
If you are genuinely ill and need help fine despite being seriously ill and on heavy medication myself I will do all I can; however if this is not the case Goodbye.
I do hope this is within forum guidelines mods feel free to tell me if its not.
Teresa

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
No cat visitors and all my boys are done. wish I could of been here to protect my baby,

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »
If she hasnt been out its also essential that you find out which one of your boys is not neutered, unless you know someone else let her out.

I hope everything goes well  :hug: :hug:

I may be mistaken but am sure you had unwanted cat visitors in the distant past ? A quick call to your vet will tell you about the boys status.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 23:24:41 PM »
If she hasnt been out its also essential that you find out which one of your boys is not neutered, unless you know someone else let her out.

I hope everything goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 21:04:39 PM »
I Think she is about 8 weeks, she is a house cat she never has been let out when I have been here

Offline thekittensmittens

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Mr Miyagi , Georgia, Pacey & Little Mo RIP....also 10 lovebirds and rainbow the rosella! Rip Cookie & Sunny my beautifull cockatiels
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 20:50:09 PM »
have you got an idea of the dates you were away from so we may be able to guess at what stage shes at? heres hoping she and kittens will be ok  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 20:37:46 PM »
It would be good if you could keep Narla totally indoors and away from your other cats now.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 20:23:33 PM »
thank you going to move pillow now and repace with blanket

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 20:20:15 PM »
As Helen has said Narla needs checking over by your vet who can advise due date and indeed that Narla is big enough to carry a litter. He will also give you lots of good advice or even get one of the vet nurses to advise you.Good diet is essential.
Please remove the pillow from the box and replace with flat bedding which the babies cannot fall from and also that they cannot suffocate under, Make sure that mumcat can see over the side of box so that she doesnt jump in blindly injuring kittens.
I am not criticing in any way, accidents can and do happen,please consider very carefully about keeping all the kittens,thats going to be one heck of a vet bill for vaccinations and neutering not to mention food ad litter; if just one of those kittens is allowed to breed that would be adding to an already kitten mountain and would not be deemed an accident.
Hope you are soon feeling better and good luck with everything.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 20:13:50 PM »
I think she is due any day to be honest. maybe its to late I am phoning the vet tomorrow

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 20:04:57 PM »
The vets can still spey at this late stage and it might be best for Narla and your family at this time :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 19:52:41 PM »
when she has the kittens depending on how many she has we will be keeping them. I am so sad this has happened as it wasnt ment and I dont like the idear of my baby girl having babies so sad. guess all I can do now is make the best of it and give her the best i can

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 19:40:46 PM »
I'm sure you never intended for this to happen and you can't change what has happened while you were away :hug: I take it whoever was looking after them while you were away from home has let her out? If not then I would be getting the boys checked over as being neutered then they shouldn't be capable of fathering kittens.

Are you able to get her to a vet to get her checked over and see how far gone she is? I have no experience of pregnant cats/births but thinking more long term I would contact your local rescues and see  if they may be able to offer any assistance when it comes to rehoming the kittens when they're old enough, much better to go via a rescue as they will hopefully be able to help with homechecks  etc You could also contact the Cats Protection to see if they are able to help with a neutering voucher for Narla when she is safe to be done after her babies have been born.

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 19:20:03 PM »
Please dont be so quick to judge

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 19:15:52 PM »
 >:(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 19:02:48 PM »
Hope someone with pregnant cat and kittens can advise  :hug: :hug:

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
Please help and advice Cat is expecting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 18:59:03 PM »
I have been away for a while due to mental illness and I got home today. I have a Problem Narla is expecting I though I had done all my boys before they could so it is a pure accident, I know I should of done Narla but as she never goes out and my boys had been done I was going to do her when I had the money. Now im home she is big her tummy is moving then you put your hand on it her nipples are large and she is eating and drinking more then before. I am unsure how far she is but she looks big. I have quickly made her a bed out of a basket and pillow, Im now worried and dont know what to do  please help

Link to CatChat