Author Topic: Lupin is attacking me.......................help needed  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Lupin is attacking me.......................help needed
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 18:21:34 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
  • Nutty About Kitten-Cats!!
  • Slave to: Nuggie (& until recently Tazi x)...& Peanut "de Poirot"!
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 16:43:47 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: See! he doesnt seem capable of such a crime lol

He certainly keeps you on your toes!!
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)
Sleep Tight Baby Tazi xx 04.04.98 - 20.10.11 xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 15:21:49 PM »
I know he is too cute for his own good  :rofl: :rofl:

He is now tired from his walk,,,,,,,,,me too and he has pulled the curtain down and is sleeping on top of it with his head on his arm  :-[

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 15:18:45 PM »
OMG!!!!
Lupin is adorable! I didnt imagine him being longhaired for some reason??  :shify:
He certainly has the knack of looking so calm and innocent and not the destructive Lupin we hear of.....he is making a liar of you with his cute face  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Really great little jacket and must be so much less intrusive than harness straps - Very smart!!!
I hope everything works out with his exercise and he learns its not good to escape!! I can see why you're so smitten   :hug: x
Cats are independent, don't listen, don't come in when you call, stay out all night and when they're home they like to be left alone to sleep....Every quality that Women HATE in a Man, they LOVE in a Cat...

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2012, 14:59:44 PM »
I know the problem its always happening to me!

Chatting about non-cat stuff...memebrs only section

Here is link

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,7749.0.html

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2012, 14:41:04 PM »
Hi gill,

Which section is the A Team in?? I see it ALL the time but now i specifically want to locate it I cant!  :rofl: :rofl:

P.S Peenew said that Lupin has a posh jacket and he is exoctic and handsome  :) lol x

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 13:36:24 PM »
it is definitely a good sign that if he does manage to get out he isnt going far and that hes all mouth and no furr!!  :evillaugh: I shall seek out his new pictures  ;D

Hes a little character and gives you a run for your money!! Try buying him a Da Bird/Da Mouse (great value in the purrs shop) but Peanut gets worn out from them and i just sit on the sofa - it  may get rid of his pent up energy and as well as his walks and it cheaper than a fence lol x

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2012, 13:16:50 PM »
Thank you and if you want to see the little monster there are new pics on A team and in cats mouth.

He is currently shouting to go out and yes I was so relieved that he was sitting on the door step and the second time it was stealth creeping up on him that caught him cos you are right he is not so brave without his jacket and me...........phewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Offline funkiechicken

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 05:34:50 AM »
Hi Gill,

Havent been on for a while and look whats happened! Little Lupin the escape artist!
Unfortunately it does happen when walking them that they dream of the great outdoors - thankfully Peanut was always to be a "its up to you in or out" cat but then i live in what seems a more secure place now than yourself.
Peanut is however a night cat (i prefer that) and returns home 6.30am prompt crying to come in. When we are not at work he doesnt venture out of the garden during the day and usually spends it asleep.
What i do find encouraging about Lupin is the fact he was there when you opened the door and that his sudden bid for freedom, really, didnt take him as far as he thought his braveness would.

Tazi was a clever lad too and an expert at escaping and although an outdoor cat when we have moved and my attempts at keeping him in for 2 weeks dwindled down to just 3hrs on our last move. Each move reducing as i knew my keeping him in has even led to a swift bunk out of the bedroom window (a top opening window in about 2cm latch  :-[ ) I learnt quickly that chasing/following him and any attempts to grab him just made him run off and he often had me in a panic - so i know why you feel like you do with Lupin and the roads etc...
The last move (gawd - i sound like a gypsy traveller lol) Tazi escaped as usual and that time i didnt react. He slumped on the front lawn watching us move boxes and just followed us back into the house when his belly commanded food. All said, Tazi's smartness led to a very street wise cat. He was my baby indoors but a very alert, sensible cat outdoors.
I just hope Lupin proves the same should he escape again x but should it happen again then perhaps the "none" reaction approach may save many a scratch and stress for you. He'll more then likely plod back in of his own accord (usually for food  :shify: )

It is very hard with cats all requiring different levels of support and care from you and Sasa has had your stress levels up - but thankfully now seems to have settled back into the home environment quite well.
But DO keep on top of your own health issues too! we're concerned friends and you need to be as fit as you can be cos the cats all need you  :hug: :hug:

Also, do get ask for help with your fence - it may be the stress relief you are looking for? It doesnt mean you're "giving up" or anything it just means fence panels are too much for you these days. I'm 36 and i cant decorate or shift things with the energy or vigor as i used to. I have bad back and am awaiting surgery for it so home DIY and swinging fence panels about are a thing of the past for me. Doesnt mean i dont give things a damn good try, but i graciously accept defeat when its needed!! you could even speak to the council who often do schemes where they use people who need work doing and with a Tutor, they use - in your case - putting up a fence as work experience for young people on training. So you'd also be giving a little back.

Anyway, which ever you decide, make sure you take care - ignore Lupin when he gets a flea up his backside and hopefully being tired out with walking (perhaps a sun bathing cage for the sunny days) he may well settle and not keep attempting to escape!!

P.S So pleased Sasa is also enjoying the sunshine but coming in too - must be such a relief  :)

Nuggie (31.08.2002)
Peanut (14.12.09)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 17:48:52 PM »
Thank you Susanne I love the idea of Norty Cat Island LOL

The jacket is working and he has been outside twice today and as you say he is very like Mosi.

His walks make him tired and he is pushing the boundaries as you say............not just with going out but also in the house on so many levels.

Personally I think that Mosi and Lupin deserve each other  :rofl: :rofl:

My 4 cats have very much their own personalitys and balancing them is hard, so much easier to just open the door and let them do what they want, whether it is right or dangerous for them.

Lupin has another 18 months before he is a cute adult lol and his problem is that he is just so darn clever. I try not to react to him but somethings he does just make me go ape..........well sort of LOL.

He will not be going out on his own until I think the garden can contain him for his own safety...........I just wish the cat flap had contained him like it does for most other cats cos that was the best way for Misa and Sasa. They just sat by the door waiting to be let out.

It would be nice if Sasa was like Misa..........solid, reliable and comes home after his play in the garden but sadly she is solid in body but totally semi feral and does her own thing.........last night she wanted strokes again but when she went outside for last two days she wouldnt have any and would just run away.

Sorta pleased the weather is changing cos hope it isnt too windy so can sort out the panels.............they cant be held in the wind. They are like bloomin sails!

Definately a catch 22.

She was just getting the hang of coming in the flap and think it would have worked but for the little monsterman.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 17:07:37 PM »
Sorry I can't offer any practical advice - as you know, both of my boys are indoor cats.  Mosi is very similar to Lupin in that he is a bit of a handful, but he has never had the taste of outdoor life (although he did have access to an outdoor enclosure at the breeders) and although I know he would love to go outside, he has never experienced it so doesn't really hanker after what he hasn't had.  Lupin has now had a taste of the outdoors and he wants it all the more for that.  I agree that if the jacket is now not working, you may need to keep him totally inside for a bit longer (until your garden is a bit safer and he has matured a little) and then maybe bite the bullet and let him outside, even though there are risks.  I think it must be very difficult trying to balance the needs of 4 very different cats, especially coping with allowing outdoor access to some and not to others.

It sounds as though Lupin is testing the boundaries right now.  He is at that adolescent cat age where they can be quite a handful.  Its hard to be firm with a cat, esp a cute kitten!, and they're not exactly trainable like a dog.  But maybe you need to try to change the way you react to him when he gets rough or bites?  How do you react?  Have you tried hissing at him, withdrawing your attention so that he isn't rewarded for bad behaviour?  Time out is very effective with Mosi as when he gets badly behaved (mostly with Jaffa) it's just because he's got over excited and he needs to be on his own for a moment to calm down.  I also ignore him when he gets silly or bitey.  he's never really aggressive but sometimes he can go over the top with play biting and scratching and I have to ignore him until he realises that whatever he's doing isn't getting any attention. The more stressed you get, the more the cats will pick up on it and that will affect their behaviour.  Catch 22 a bit, isn't it?  I hope you can find a solution to this soon.  Either that or we need to find a desert island and pack Mosi and Lupin off there together!  Naughty cat island  ;D

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 14:08:36 PM »
Not sure what health issues Gill has , but I have a lot and most of them you just have to live with as the doctor told me as there is no cure , but persevere with asking as I got some tablets for my sciatica that have really helped that . A few weeks ago I was crawling on the kitchen floor crying and tring to do the litter trays and the pain was unbearable.
Fibro , they can't do anything about , or the colitis , arthritis , thinning bones, heart murmur, pituary tumour,back is knackered ( doctors words too !) wearing of vertebra and spondylitis - but when you live alone and don't have anyone , you do just struggle on and it does get on top of you .
Hope things start to improve and you get some help with the fencing .
I can come and sort your neighbour out too ,  ;D
 :hug: :hug

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 11:42:24 AM »
Sometimes I think pride gets in the way of us asking for help or taking advice against what we think is right and may be wrong.  You have to learn as I did when I had work stress that it's not a sign of weakness to ask for help so have a word with Trigger and definately get in touch with your brother, don't wait for him to contact you Gill.

It doesn't help that you are no doubt thinking about Franta Napoleon's anniversary coming up in May - he was your velcro cat and it was like loosing your right arm loosing him  :Luv2: :hug:

It also doesn't help that all your cats have different ways.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel Gill and all will come out well.

Good luck.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »
I have offered on more than one occasion to come to your house and help out, Gill, but you don't really answer me, do you?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
Gill,

if you are not well then you must get yourself sorted as a priority.

I've never been an advocate of letting cats out on leashes or harnesses as it always smacks of "this is the freedom and excitement you could enjoy but I'm not going to let you".

Keep him in, and if you must the others until you have sorted the fencing out.

Have you phoned round for some quotes on men to do the fencing for you? There are enough people looking for work and a bit of cash in hand is welcome to most people. I know my mum always gets thing done really cheaply and usually to a good standard. Ask around local forums, a lot of freecycle boards have sister chat boards for this sort of thing. even gumtree is a good place to begin.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 06:26:20 AM »
All the advice offered is good but at the end of the day it sadly seems to cost money that Gill advises she doesn't have nor any offers of help and with Gills health deteriorating this situation will only worsen

I for one would hate to live in a place like Gills where no one will help and I live in a very small hamlet 15 houses and 2 farms but all we have to do is ask if help is needed and I live on my own 27 days a month and have bad hands and a knackered back but get on and do but if my health was as bad as yours would be seeing a doctor to get that sorted as when one is feeling better things don't seem quite as bad

I am glad I still have my health but would be visiting the doctor Gill as this sounds like more than just stress and if all this keeps going your Olympic dream will be in front of the TV not in the stadiums

Sort your own health then bite the bullet and take some of the advice everyone has offered as the situation can only get worse before it get better
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 00:22:24 AM »
Thank you Mary and Gill and you are so right Gill, just someone to do something small sometimes would be great   :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 23:14:34 PM »
I can understand where you are coming from as I had a nasty neighbour who threatened Winston , but he left a few years ago now and I had many a argument with them , his wife was just as bad . When he threatened Winston, I told him if he ever touched Winston I would bury him in the field !

I have been lucky that these  two have integrated pretty well, but they love to be out all day too , but I had my brother and his friend fence all my garden a few years ago , good job as he is too ill now to do anything like that now.
I felt at he end of my tether a couple of weeks ago when every cat had the runs , one after the other ,and it's dam hard work and stressful when you are on your own and have nobody to help do anything . Sometimes I would just love someone to make me a meal or even a cup of tea when you are tired out.

All I can do is send  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 13:59:54 PM by bunglycat »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 21:56:33 PM »
Gill, when you are not 100% healthy and you are stressed out with the cats it makes you wonder if you are doing right for doing wrong  ;)

it's hard when you are on your own and have little finance to get things done to help (like the cat proofing).  Lupin doesn't understand that you are frightened of the traffic and that horrid neighbour of yours that is so vicious and even the police will not do anything about him.

I do not think you are totally over the loss of Franta Napoleon and it shows in the way that you are letting Lupin get away with murder, YES he does have a Birman temprement but you are too soft with him and you know that.  You are not pushing the other cats out and you are trying your best to sort Sasa out with her problems and it's very difficult for you on your own.

Not getting your sleep is not helping either.

How about getting a run or a large cage for the garden?  Cheaper and easier to fit up?

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 21:18:24 PM »
I see this is going to be like the other threads just ignoring advice and hints given :(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 21:05:03 PM »
Forgot to say Sasa came in tonight and have had to take the decisiuon to block off the cat flap again  :'( :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 21:03:33 PM »
Lupin is only allowed out in a walking jacket with a lead cos I have a very busy road at the front and a nasty neighbour on one side who threatens to kill my cats.

He also has a small gate so any cat can get out onto the road from there and he doesnt have a proper gate at the back and leaves it open, drives a big council truck and too much temptation for Lupin.

I also now have vehicles driving up and down at back on the track and loads of blooming nasty kids shouting and kicking balls about etc etc

Nice to see you again Michelle  :hug: :hug:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 20:24:17 PM »
Hi Gill.....longtime no see  :hug:

I'm really confused by this, can you just clear something up for me

Why isn't Lupin allowed outside ?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 19:39:05 PM »
Gill you may not like the comments but they are said with reading your very sad and stressful post and are perhaps some home truths you don't want to read but you have a very unhappy life at the moment and you all seem to be suffering and health is being affected

Re the fence panels what is stopping the neighbour who shares that side of your garden helping a simple question but one you have never answered

Your own health is suffering with all this and that should be addressed, being diabetic you know only to well that scratches can become infected and cats have the worst claws and mouths for germs, I know having had cat scratch fever and some really bad claws from my ferals and I'm not diabetic or as stressed as you are

Misa, Sasa and Ducha all sound very unhappy cats and seem to have got a lot worse since Lupins introduction and have their lives turned upside down and aren't coping with all the aggro and are left outside so your nasty neighbour has the opportunity to potentially hurt them in some way

You really need to bite the bullet and think about what is best for all the cats and you because this situation has been going on for a long time and none of you are getting any better for the situation and any advice that was offered was rejected offhand and some of your comments were very bitter

Speaking from introducing as many cats as we have over the last 18 months we haven't had the issues you have had with introducing only one so I speak from actual experience and knowledge of having Pedigree - 3 last year, Casper Ragdoll, Porsche Bengal and NFC Star all came with a lot of baggage and issues all addressed and ground rules set only Star and Porsche are indoor as thats what I want for them although Star gets out at the weekends on his dog harness and dog longlineand is happy with that, we also got Leo back and that was a stressful time as he wanted to be top cat but with careful reintroductions and a lot of work he has now found his position in the pack

The kittens Miami, Houston, Kali, Sherbet, Monty and Jaffa mastered the outside after weekend walkies

I think a Behaviour consultant  may be a route to investigate or at the very worst perhaps you may need to think about re-homing Lupin as he seems to be causing so much stress and pain all round and none of you sound happy in your posts

I just find it sad that after the Leonie incident when a youngster didn't fit in to your household that you appear to be having the same thing again, hindsight is a wonderful thing but perhaps you should have thought long about your decision to take on such a young cat who needs to expend energy and has no outlet for that from your comments and he is unhappy and frustrated and has to vent it by lashing out at you and Causing  more stress all round

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 18:53:16 PM »
Thanks Helen and believe I know the risks.......death on the road or killed by neighbour and neither is acceptable.

You are right he wants to go out desperately and that is what is gonna make him happy but I have to get the garden just a bit safe first. He has so much energy and is so curious about every thing..............I can only do a bit at a time cos just not strong enough to do any more.

Its taken me about 6-7 hours to get one fence panel up and the wind started blowing and just couldnt hold it.

Its taking so long to get the old ones off and decided that I was just gonna do that today and then changed mind cos dont like my garden being all open.

Only have another 11 to go grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

When they are up it will be a bit better and slightly safer but my problem what to do right now.

Misa and Sasa can get in the flap if they want and they can get to their food but Misa cant come to me and he was in out in out all night but cant leave the door open in the hall cos Lupin can get to the flap and hook it open.

Sasa isnt gonna come in the house until she is hungry and came in during the day but boith S an M have been scared by him next door spraying water into my garden and Sasa must have been really settled and now she is miserable.

If I block off the flap tonight Sasa cant get in and will think she is locked out.

Why does he have to be so bloomin clever and not act like other cats who dont go out closed flaps!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 16:13:09 PM »
You've said it yourself here - "he is very unhappy cos he wants to go out" so think you need to weigh up the risks. I know it was never your intention to let him out but seems like you may need to reconsider  :shy: It sounds like the taste of the outside has ignited a flame in him - if you do decide to let him out like the others then I would bet he will be much calmer and less likely to pick on the others (and you!) due to burning off the pent up frustration and the excess energy.

I was lucky in that my boys were very happy being indoor cats for the first year or so of their lives but not all cats are happy being indoors, especially once they've got a taste of it. I occasionally keep the boys in for a few days and although they may meow by the door for a bit if I ignore them they soon wander off. Sounds like Lupin is the extreme opposite of this  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 15:33:10 PM »
Gill I'm sorry you are having such a hard time, I've nothing to offer in the way of advice but  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Lupin is attacking me.......................help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
I am so fed up I could cry..............just done a huge post and its gone and I type so blooming slowly.

Gonna just try bullet points!

Lupin an 18month old birman kitten and half way to adulthood.

Very very clever as birmans are very intelligent and he is very wilful.

Misa and Sasa my big cats have been kept in half house until was able to catch Sasa a semi feral who decided she wasnt living in house completely since last Nov.

Managed to catch Sasa mid Jan and she has been inside ever since. She started getting restless when the good weather arrived and hovering round the back door with blocked up cat flap.

I was a bit complacent two nights ago and she escaped grrrrrrrrrrrr, she was however staying mostly in the garden.

Decided last night to unblock the flap and put it on in only and misa was going out thro door and back thro the flap over and over.

Sasa refused to come in to eat and byr 0200. 0530. 0730 had still not been in.

When I got up at 1100 she was in to my joy so went to let her out and bloomin Lupin was outside on otherside of the door.

The flap wasz still working and thought he must have got out when one of others came in cos both were in.

Since them have found out that he bangs and bangs and bangs it and it doesnt open but being clever he has used a claw to hook it open and got out again.

Managed to get him just before he ran and brought in a fighting growling Lupin who then started attacking me and jumping for my face.

He is currently shut in the front part of house but means that Misa or Sasa are now locked out of it again and Misa was so unhappy liked that.

With hindsight Lupin is worse now he has been out in his walking jacket cos he loves it so much outside.

Just dont know what to do cos he is very violent and stand no chance of getting his jacket on n ow as he fights, bits and scratches.

He s not meaning to hurt when he attacks but is very very angry and could do real damage but at present he is digging in claws and teeth but only making pinpricks, he is very unhappy cos he wants to go out and is crying and whining and trying to break thinks after headbutting and telling me he wants out.

I could have kept Sasa in this morning but she is so much happier outside with Misa but now neither can get further than their food and cat allow Lupin in the kitchen end cos he will be straight out the flap again.

Sasa wont come in thro the door like Misa.

Misa is such a good boy and getting hurt by all of this, Sasa is a scared semi-feral who is happy being outside and wont come in thro the flap until she is very hungry and then she knows she is trapped and was hopping she would learn like Misa I would let het out thro the door.

I am currently putting up new higher fence panels in garden but due to health problems its takes me one every other day and dont have money to get anyone to do it.

Am at my wits end and just lost another 45 mins retyping this grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......its fence panel day!

Link to CatChat